[WIP] Rebel Moon Rising

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Snarboo

[WIP] Rebel Moon Rising

Post by Snarboo »

Weasel's latest mod made me realize that I could finally make the mod I've always wanted to: a Rebel Moon Rising mod. For those that have never heard of it, Rebel Moon Rising (RMR from here on out) is an FPS game that was released in '97. It was one of the first games to take advantage of Intel's MMX technology. However, the game was rather primitive, playing out like a cross between Doom and Marathon, with no room-over-room and walls limited to angles of 45 and 90 degrees. It did feature dynamic and colored lighting, and despite how primitive it was, it still plays very well.

Years ago, I found out that RMR's data files are all exposed. None of them are locked up in data files or propriety storage formats, they are literally just sitting in various marked folders. I quickly found out, however, that no Doom port at the time could handle the higher resolution sprites. I had two choices: I could either wait, or shrink the images down, mangling both the resolution and colors in the process. I chose to wait.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I found out ZDoom could handle high resolution hud sprites and even scale and offset them properly thanks to the TEXTURES lump. I found my copy of RMR as quickly as possible and started converting the weapons over to Doom.

I have currently converted all of the weapon and pickup sprites from TGAs to PNGs with transparency. So far, the first 6 weapons are implemented and useable. I'm not sure how far I'm going to take this mod. It might just be a weapon replacement, or it might become a full blown conversion. It all depends on how I feel and the general reception.

You will need the latest SVN of ZDoom or GZDoom to play this. Please leave any feedback you might have.
Snarboo

Re: [WIP] Rebel Moon Rising

Post by Snarboo »

I just finished all the weapons, and I am now going to move the download link to the second post along with all the boring technical stuff.

Rebel Moon Rising - Health and Powerups!

Technical stuff:

Changes since last release:
  • Health pickups have been implemented. They all look the same, but that's how it was in RMR. The health bonus now works like a mini health pack, giving the player 5 health up to 100.
  • The berserk has been replaced with the full shield powerup.
  • Most of the major powerups have been implemented and work as closely to RMR's as possible.
  • Some weapons have been tweaked to function closer to their RMR counterparts. The Recoilless ACL now fires slightly slower, and the damage on the Plasma Cannon has been adjusted to match RMR's.
  • The Recoil Mod now functions like it does in RMR. If you don't have a Combat Laser, you pick up the upgrade and carry it with you until you can find a Combat Laser. When you do, you get both weapons.
  • Various other minor tweaks.
General RMR stuff:
  • RMR handles ammo differently than Doom: rather than each ammo type being seperated into smaller and larger boxes, RMR uses one graphic per ammo type, but changes the amount of ammo given depending on how you pick it up. For example, the Chem-Laser Cartridge gives 50 rounds if found lying around, where as cartridges dropped by enemies only give 10.
  • RMR seems to run at about 30 FPS. This makes timing weapons in Doom very difficult because Doom runs at 35 FPS. This means that the tic length between the two games is slightly different, and probably impossible to match exactly. I've gotten most of the weapons to behave pretty accurately, though.
  • There was actually an earlier version of RMR, simply called Rebel Moon, released with Creative Labs 3D cards based on the Rendition VR1000 chipset in '95. Differences between the two include slightly different graphics. The final weapon in RMR seems to be missing from Rebel Moon, too.
Last edited by Snarboo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Screenshots please.
Lolo_is_cool

Post by Lolo_is_cool »

TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

i tried this. no bad comment. except :shock:
Xim

Post by Xim »

Checked it out. Those are some pretty cool weapons. I recognize the SuperShotgun-esque weapon graphic, which was used as a much larger type gun in WrW. Guess they didn't even resize.

But yeah, although the weapons look cool, they're kinda boring. Let's see some enemies, then this'll be worth playing.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Weasel-approved. The weapons are a little boring, I'll agree, but hey, you're striving for accuracy and did it pretty well. =P
printz

Post by printz »

Lolo_is_cool wrote:Image
How RMR looks. Get your screenshot ideas from here. Look through other videos too as this is just part of the first level.

As for myself, I even had Rebel Moon, the first, installed. But not any more. I either lost it, or I have it lost.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Oh wow, this could TOTALLY be remade in GZDoom.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Those are some really nice weapons. :yup:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Hey, thanks for the comments guys! :) I admit the weapons are kind of boring, but that's how they functioned in RMR. Next up on the plate are the pickups and power-ups, which should be very easy to do. After that, I'll work on player sounds and maybe even a spiffy new HUD.

As for enemies, I'm not entirely sure what to do about that yet. There are quite a few, and it would require extensive play testing to get them right. Most of them don't behave uniquely, however, so I could just implement them as I see fit.

For those interested, I have all the game's textures converted to PNG. Some of them use magenta as a transparent color, which would need to be removed, but I can easily post them here for the curious.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

'This video has been deleted duo to copyright failure'

Youtube gramm4r R greatests.

Anyway, wow, I gotta admit those weapons kinda flew outta there, in like what, half a day?

I mean holy cr*p dude the guns are awesomeness... sort... of...
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

WTF at the people who want screenshots. Google Rebel Moon Rising if you really need to know, geez.... It's not like this is a project that's totally brand new.

Also some of these sprites are begging to be hacked into other existing weapons for prettiness.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Davidos wrote:Anyway, wow, I gotta admit those weapons kinda flew outta there, in like what, half a day?
I admit I have way too much free time right now, so I was able to crank this out pretty quickly. It helps that I knew the behavior of the weapons beforehand and that most of the weapons have 4 frames of animation, some less. The longest and hardest part was actually writing the TEXTURES lump, then aligning and resizing everything, but I got a good method down after a while. Now that all the weapons are done, aligning the rest of the graphics should be cake.

After digging around the script files and play testing, I've found the damage values are 100% correct. Weapons do not do random damage and the number of shots an enemy takes corresponds to the weapon damage versus the enemy's health. Even the drill does the right amount of damage, it just seems to do less damage against certain enemy types.

This has the side effect of making the weapons very weak in comparison to Doom's, however. RMR's Chem-Laser Pistol does 10 damage, while Doom's does 5, but Doom then multiples the damage value by a random number between 1 and 8, thus making most shots more damaging. One thing I haven't been able to do is make the Railgun, the only hitscan weapon in the mod, not do random damage. I might have to make it a projectile if I can't get it to work. It's actually an invisible, fast moving projectile in RMR.

Edit:
DoomRater wrote:Also some of these sprites are begging to be hacked into other existing weapons for prettiness.
I was thinking the same thing, actually. Everything in my mods is free to be picked apart and reused, so long as credit is given to the original designers. In this case, it would be the defunct Fenris Wolf Studios. If anyone wants to use these weapons, be my guest, and please use the TEXTURES lump to save time. :)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Re: hitscans doing random damage, I wish Randy would add the ability to specify our own damage ranges for hitscan attacks like we can for projectiles.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”