[Decorate Bots] Marine Express (Lst Update: 10/26/08)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[Decorate Bots] Marine Express (Lst Update: 10/26/08)

Postby Marcus101RR » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Marine Express Modification
Cooperative Bots Via Decorate

Current Version: 3.0 r256

Spoiler:

Features
Spoiler:

About
This idea came to me when users complained about bad cooperative bots for ZDoom. The idea then was struck by lighting via Skulltag since all that Skulltag can do is deathmatch bots. There have been numerous requests of cooperative script language being added to both Skulltag and ZDoom; however, no one had the time to actually bother entering the code. The conclusion to this is, that I decided to take lessons with decorate when I first began making mods for ZDoom. Even changing previous modifications like Doom3_MOD which I have changed, and manipulated without permission (GUILTY!). The fact is, I got tired of these constant requests of cooperative bots, and since no one else wanted to the lazy job of decorate I started working on the scripted marines with the ZDoom source code, thus learning how they actually work. I later discovered how to convert them to decorate and finally use the flags, actions, functions, and items to make them as realistic as the player himself, with a few tweaks added to make the game easier, and harder.

Marine Express History
This modification had its ups and downs from time to time. There have been numerous reports saying this is a rip off from Skulltag, which was discovered by some of Skulltag's loyal users. Marine Express had a total of 8 MB when it inherited the Skulltag Weapons, which I added 2 years ago. Skulltag constantly bitched about this modification and saying that ZDoom was stealing the ideas from Skulltag and possibly Randy himself would add Skulltag weapons. No, that would have never happened. I have decided somewhat 6 months after the final release of Marine Express to remove the weapons of Skulltag. They no longer exist and anyone using the old version of Marine Express may distribute it as they please. I just may add that its no longer my project to prevent flame wars.

Second Season, Marine Express V2, received a new update because GZDoom and ZDoom finally added some new features from Skulltag. The powerups were added to the first time and worked successfully giving players something that ZDoom really needed! I later discovered more flame war on Skulltag forums assessing an attack on this project. No facts were found, or even evidence as these topics were deleted from the abyss when Skulltag updated to its new layout. The powerups are still in today.

Third Season, Marine Express V3, has just gotten its major update of realistic doom bot players. I have done hard work to make them strafe, move fast (even faster than player himself), attack more often, fall of ledges, react to pain instantly, and extend the use of friendly fire always. This final version has proven to be more entertaining than anything of decorate bots yet. There have been some users who have attempted to rip my work here on ZDoom and Skulltag without permission or asking me. I did not approve and I denied they use their project. I later than accepted they wish to use the source and work their way to more details with ACS, and other definitions. I agreed.

Today and the Future, there is no released for the next couple of months and at least not soon. I have done some changes in the mod recently, but no one will find out what has been changed yet. If there is anything important to find and it should be fixed fast, shout away. Yell if you must. Spam, no. Repeat, No. Requests, yes I would really listen to more requests for this modification.

Why Should I Use It?
No one is asking you to use it, or even support it. Its a project like any other out there. This one doesn't consist of maps or hacks. Just decorate and good coop bots that can be interested to have from time to time. They make you feel like playing an RTS game.

Does It Work With All Mods?
I have tested the latest ZDoom projects out there, and the most commonly used ones that exists. I have checked to make sure that no decorate command or even the slightest "Replace" command affects any modification or project out there. There is an 80% chance that it will work with the wad you will use. However, if you find a wad that it doesn't work with. Let me know immediately and give me the details.

Give It To Me!
Download is below and I must ask users to pay attention when downloading this wad, as some people have created a MARINEX.WAD that is a virus. Yes, its true. Doom community is still out there to get me. So, if I must. Only download this wad from ZDoom, My HFS Server, DoomWorld, and from me directly only. I would not recommend downloading it from no other source, whatever that source may be!

Official Video Trailer V1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqMRl0Lu94
Official Wiki Entry: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Marine_Express
Official Download: http://97.103.53.13/Downloads/MARINEX.zip
Last edited by Marcus101RR on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Marcus101RR

Discord: Marcus101RR#0623
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Decorate Bots] Marine Express

Postby TheDarkArchon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 am

Decorate Marines != bots.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Cutmanmike » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:37 am

Haven't we got like ten of these already? And was it worth writing all that text about it?
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Postby Marcus101RR » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Haven't we got like ten of these already? And was it worth writing all that text about it?

Yes, but mine existed long before the other topics were made.
Marcus101RR

Postby edward850 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Marcus101RR wrote:Yes, but mine existed long before the other topics were made.

And yet, still not that good. There movement and so on is the most annoying ever, they keep running into my rockets and such. It’s a good effort and all but right now they seem like they need to be massively reworked.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Dancso » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:41 pm

Download link doesn't want to work. :(
Dancso
bow wow

Postby Marcus101RR » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:03 pm

edward850 wrote:
Marcus101RR wrote:Yes, but mine existed long before the other topics were made.

And yet, still not that good. There movement and so on is the most annoying ever, they keep running into my rockets and such. It’s a good effort and all but right now they seem like they need to be massively reworked.

Well, they are suppose to be as humane as possible. I now people run into people's crossfire and die. Hell, if you run into them rocket marines' crossfire you can kiss your sorry *** goodbye. Its not suppose to make the game easier or harder. It still keeps the game at its skill level. Their strafing is annoying, but heck if you play deathmatch against bots, they can be as unfair as these guys. Just be glad they don't turn on you!

I'll consider working on them some what, but I like their strafing maneuvers alot better than the other bot wads created. They should be less of a monster and more of a player.
Marcus101RR

Postby TheDarkArchon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 am

If it does keep the difficulty the same (which I doubt), then it's the most retarded way of doing it, countering the reduction in normal deaths by increasing the amount of stupid, unnecessary and generally infuriating deaths. There's a good reason why A_FastChase isn't generally used for friendlies.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby Marcus101RR » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:56 am

TheDarkArchon wrote:If it does keep the difficulty the same (which I doubt), then it's the most retarded way of doing it, countering the reduction in normal deaths by increasing the amount of stupid, unnecessary and generally infuriating deaths. There's a good reason why A_FastChase isn't generally used for friendlies.

A human player does the same thing if he sucks badly with his aim, as long as there are hallways this is NOT the case. The only die if they are in tight rooms with hallways connected, then they will kill each other unexpectedly. But, who would use these in a tight spot anyway. lol
Marcus101RR

Postby TheDarkArchon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am

However, when a human player strafes into your view, you can normally see it coming. With these "bots", it's completely spontaneous. Also, they can't tell what lies between them and the target so they can strafe all of a sudden and then shoot you in the face.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby unknownna » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Check out mine latest coop-bots release if you'd like to. They aren't as retarded as the usual monster anymore. They also animate like a player in terms of speed etc.
unknownna

Postby Woolie Wool » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:54 pm

This is very interesting, especially since I was doing the exact same thing in reverse with my Mutiny mod (around 95% complete, probably will be released tomorrow), with enemies that are marines that strafe, telefrag, etc.

Really, I don't trust any DECORATE monster watching my back unless there's a codepointer added that tells it to follow and defend the player and check its line of sight to make sure the player is not blocking its line of fire. Also, monsters don't automatically hate friendly monsters on sight, which is rather disconcerting (the funny thing is that some MBF demo wads actually work in ZDoom now, but not in the way they were originally intended, as the enemies were intended to spontaneously attack friendlies as if they were players).
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby QBasicer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Topics split. You guys gotta report more often :\.
QBasicer
#include <QBasicer.h>

Github ID: qbasicer

Postby bagheadspidey » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:11 pm

let's just lock and delete both topics, maybe he'll just go away :mrgreen:
bagheadspidey

Postby Doom Connector » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:17 pm

bagheadspidey wrote:let's just lock and delete both topics, maybe he'll just go away :mrgreen:

Why close a topic or kill it because some people cannot handle drama? The project doesn't deserve to be removed. I would be in shock to see that happened to a more reputation...al...project. Good cooperative bots btw, had fun using this with Skulltag invasion.
Doom Connector
Banned User

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects