Neural Smooth Doom (ANOTHER Massive update)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Neural Smooth Doom (ANOTHER Massive update)

Postby Kazudra » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:30 am

This was one hell of an ambitious project;
The plan was to port everything Smooth Doom for the Neural Upscale 2x texture pack, except the Monsters and Gore (because it's attached to the Monsters), got a little creative on some of the smooth scripts, I'm happy with those results. I can't quite figure out how to properly patch in switches at 2x scale and I've tried several different methods (If anyone has any pointers, I have a couple pk3's with you name on it, I give up on it for now) but sadly a good amount have alignment issues. Maybe in the future I can improve on this, but I'm feeling a little burnt out on it.
Update: The project is back on. Monsters and Gore have seen upscales, it wasn't easy but the results are close enough to the Neural Texture pack but also doesn't stray too far from the Sprites, some sprites look the same.
There has been some updates to this version of Smooth Doom, Terrain and Splashes are updated with the ones found in liquids. Spectres have grey blood and can be gibbed, there are 2 Gore.txt files in this version, the default removes all custom blood in favor of Nash's Gore mod not having random red blood, the other fixes the HellKnight/Baron Gib having red blood, also being the one you use without Nash's gore.
UPDATE 3
Content has been updated to reflect the 4-14-2020 build of Smooth Doom
64 Sprites have been updated, looking much better than before.
Footsteps added from this mod, Decorations now have sound, some contextual to the decoration, some rigged for ambiance. More sounds for Bullet and Chainsaw Puffs, over-all fine tuned volume.
Removed the Ugly Mugshots.

Spoiler: update 2

First you load in the Neural Texture pack, this one is updated with a few fixes and the Plasma Decal fix built-in
Second, Smooth Doom Special Edition, a LOT has been updated
Third, Here are the Add-ons, Animated Textures, smooth liquids, completely redone to optimize performance.
Fourth, Nash's Gore Mod, Upscaled. Essential.
Cleaner Skyboxes by Scuba Steve
(Optional) (Doom 1+2 Only) Animated M_Doom's by PandaDoomer, Upscaled.
Lastly, Updated Brightmaps (More on the way) For Sprites
And not to mention Brightmaps for Textures WITH Lighting

I Recommend....
Sprite Shadow, Troo Cullers, and Fullscreen Statusbar Mod to complete the build.

There's a long list of Credits;
hidfan for Neural Doom 2x
Gifty for Smooth Doom and Smooth Textures
Darkcrafter, Special Thanks; Weapon Redraws which are no longer the basis or being used, but it did basically birth this project.
Doomenator for the Plasma decal fix
NightFright for a good chunk of brightmaps, Weapons, the will to see this project's completion
Rachael and Enjay for Liquids
kcghost for a good chunk of graphics used in editing (and some re-used)
00_Zombie_00 for a few Alternate Deaths
acridAxid and EmperorGrieferus; providing bugfixes and some... lost content (as well as content)
osjclatchford for Decoration Variants
John Romero for Decoration Variants
Nash for Gore, various brightmaps
SeanTheBermanator for Doom Sound Bulb (recently built-in)
Apogee Software for a... few sounds
Probably missing a ton of people, there's been a LOT added.

...And You!

*Screenshots are from an Ancient Build, Does not quite reflect the current version
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Kazudra on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kazudra

Re: Neural Smooth Doom

Postby Kazudra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:59 am

Reserved for a massive update details, time is limited.
Last edited by Kazudra on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazudra

Postby VGA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am

Not sure how to load this. After Smooth Doom, right? Also, why are there two downloads?
VGA

Postby Kazudra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 pm

VGA wrote:Not sure how to load this. After Smooth Doom, right? Also, why are there two downloads?

I've updated.... everything. All Upscales have been merged with their base mod and the new description suggests load order.
Kazudra

Re: Neural Smooth Doom (Massive update)

Postby VGA » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am

I loaded all 7 in the right order and I get stuttering in MAP01 when running into the big cave with the imps. It's the same if I disable Nashgore.

Well, interesting anyway. There's this uncanny valley feeling you get with some sprites, like the Chaingun :D
VGA

Postby Kazudra » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 pm

VGA wrote:I loaded all 7 in the right order and I get stuttering in MAP01 when running into the big cave with the imps. It's the same if I disable Nashgore.

Well, interesting anyway. There's this uncanny valley feeling you get with some sprites, like the Chaingun :D

Feel free to leave any criticism; I very much appreciate it because I'm mostly doing test environments as I go.
Oddly enough I did catch this in testing; turns out Script texturing can leave very nice results... but they come at the cost of performance; The new approach is going to be pre-baked textures and an animdef.
I'm also looking into a HUGE frame-hit in the courtyard, Seeing where I can improve in performance.
Kazudra

Postby wardo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:28 pm

I was looking for an updated version of Smooth Doom, since it became my favorite mod. I found the motherlode instead. Everything here looks incredible when bundled together, really nice job.
One question: how do I use this double HUD that I'm seeing in the screenshots?
wardo

Postby Kazudra » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:55 pm

wardo wrote:I was looking for an updated version of Smooth Doom, since it became my favorite mod. I found the motherlode instead. Everything here looks incredible when bundled together, really nice job.
One question: how do I use this double HUD that I'm seeing in the screenshots?

Fullscreen HUD's by NightFright, I think I'll bundle-in some essential mods into the base.
Kazudra

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Why do the high resolution skyboxes look so janky and blurry ingame? The originals are really sharp, but these look poorly upscaled.
Scuba Steve

Postby BerserkerNoir » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Pretty nice compilation.
Just noticed that the BFG once being fired refills Plasma Ammo in this Smooth Doom Build.
BerserkerNoir

Discord: BerserkerNoir#7735
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HDDOOM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:58 am

The bug must be on your end it works fine here. I have made hd black gloves which I could upload provided no one objects, Also any eta on the brightmaps I have been watching and waiting for updates. I've also started converting doom 8x sprite heads to esergan lookin sweet, so far1st zombie is finished took two days . Looking forward to any updates that are made by this project. Keep up the good work :D
HDDOOM

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Kazudra » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:01 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Why do the high resolution skyboxes look so janky and blurry ingame? The originals are really sharp, but these look poorly upscaled.

Done.
BerserkerNoir wrote:Pretty nice compilation.
Just noticed that the BFG once being fired refills Plasma Ammo in this Smooth Doom Build.

Also Done.
HDDOOM wrote:The bug must be on your end it works fine here. I have made hd black gloves which I could upload provided no one objects, Also any eta on the brightmaps I have been watching and waiting for updates. I've also started converting doom 8x sprite heads to esergan lookin sweet, so far1st zombie is finished took two days . Looking forward to any updates that are made by this project. Keep up the good work :D

Basically half done.

New update is up; The Neural Upscale and Nash's Gore mod are unchanged, don't have to re-download those.

Also, This is for those who want JUST an upscaled Smooth Doom without all the crazy features
Kazudra

Re: Neural Smooth Doom (ANOTHER Massive update)

Postby pikio96 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Wow, excellent update! The Doom 64 weapons look pretty incredible. I really appreciate a lot of the other features you have included! This is turning into my gameplay mod of choice!
pikio96

Postby Scuba Steve » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 am

I wasn't impressed with the Skyboxes, so I worked with phredreek to convert the files... and I had to completely redraw the Doom2 Episode 3 sky. I'm still not particularly happy with it, but it's much clearer than any other attempt... so unless Ezepov wants to return and remake all the skyboxes using the higher quality source materials, this might be the best we can do. The rest are OK, and should be even sharper.

Cleaner Skyboxes
Scuba Steve

Postby Kazudra » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:I wasn't impressed with the Skyboxes, so I worked with phredreek to convert the files... and I had to completely redraw the Doom2 Episode 3 sky. I'm still not particularly happy with it, but it's much clearer than any other attempt... so unless Ezepov wants to return and remake all the skyboxes using the higher quality source materials, this might be the best we can do. The rest are OK, and should be even sharper.

Cleaner Skyboxes

This is the Canon upscale.
Kazudra

Next

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches