Reikall's Voxels.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
reikall

Reikall's Voxels.

Post by reikall »

Why did I make a logo? I don't need a logo.

Hi. I made some voxels. I'm pretty terrible at self-promotion, but here's a small gallery: https://imgur.com/a/0Zqld

Doom
About 80% finished. All pickups are basically done, and half of the decorations are done, mostly lights/torches. A lot of what's left may take a while, especially that tree. That tree is the final boss.
The download includes a regular version that uses special effects, brightmaps for textures, and some other things. It also includes a 'soft' version that mainly just replaces sprites and changes little else.
More screenshots and download at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikalldoomvoxels

Heretic
About 90% finished. I might make explosive pods and a couple other finishing touches. Includes customized dynamic lights, a few brightmaps, and I fixed some of the textures that Raven blatantly butchered by resizing them. I wouldn't know if anyone had done that before. I just do these things for my own amusement.
I've done some trickery with DECORATE to do special effects for some items. It may break some stuff with other mods. I may not know what I'm doing.
Don't even bother trying to use this in software mode. Half of the items don't show up. Literally.
All my attenuated lights are broken since 3.2.0, so attenuation is switched off for now. I don't know what happened to them.
Statues now face the right way almost all the time!
More screenshots and download at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikallhereticvoxels

Raven
Mainly Heretic. Includes some Hexen stuff. Just voxels, nothing fancy. Hexen Is coming along, and I'll probably have something nicer for it soon.
Dropbox download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/os9knnhrw11bl ... e.pk3?dl=0

Strife
About 40% finished. A pretty random collection of voxels, including about half of the pickups, a bunch of keys no one will ever see, some decorations and not others, one frame of the ceiling turret and not the firing frames, and a fully finished Sentinel. The torches and braziers are unfinished and don't have proper flame effects, but I accidentally included them so I'll just leave them in for now. This has custom dynamic lights and DECORATE replacements for some items as a way of replicating the colormap effects of vanilla Strife.
More screenshots and download at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikallstrifevoxels

This version doesn't need the DECORATE stuff because software mode apparently uses the colormap correctly. The next update will have this included in the above download.
Dropbox download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8k98l8692954 ... s.pk3?dl=0

I also rendered all the MIDI using synth sounds of my own design, if you're into that sort of thing.
Preview at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikallstrife ... ife-dintro
Download at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/reikallstrife ... trifemusic

Doom 64
Maybe 20% done. Don't expect much from it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h76d39ctmuwq1 ... x.pk3?dl=0

I use The Zombie Killer's ACS footsteps mod (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35388). If you happen to use it too, my Heretic, Raven, and Strife mods include language files which extend its support to those games (since I never found them elsewhere).

Comments and complaints are both appreciated. I'm not great programmer, so suggestions on coding are especially welcome.
Last edited by reikall on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:30 am, edited 10 times in total.
Someone64

Re: Yet another voxel project - Doom, Raven, Strife

Post by Someone64 »

These all look REALLY good and I love the faithfulness to the originals.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

These are really awesome!!!
pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

These are awesome! Please keep it up.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I downloaded your mod for Heretic, and I find it impressive. it stays faithful to the original sprites, and I love the new lighting like with the torch powerup and how it casts shadows from nearby walls/pillars. Keep up the great work. :mrgreen:
reikall

Post by reikall »

Thank you all very much!

GZDoom's lighting system has improved a lot recently. They deserve all credit for that torch.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

What software are you using to make voxels? Magicavoxel? Voxelshop? How are you making the transparent voxels?
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Really great job with those voxels so far and I like the idea on how you implemented the transparency for them.

I only have a few points that you could improve, but they are solely based on personal opinion.
I found that some of your items are too "flat" when viewed from the side. The following items are affected:
RocketBox - "realistically" seen the current box wouldn't be able to hold 5 rockets
Backpack - doesn't need much adjustments I guess, maybe only like 2 or 3 pixels more?
ClipBox - IMO they could be a little bigger
Cell -IMO they could be a little bigger
CellPack - IMO they could be a little bigger
Medkit - IMO they could be a little bigger
Stimpack -IMO they could be a little bigger
Allmap -IMO they could be a little bigger

And for Heretic:
The statues that hold the orbs that indicate whether you need a key, I never imagined that there are two of them. You made it that there are 2 statues, one facing forward, the other backward. I'd think it would look better if there was only one.
reikall

Post by reikall »

ramon.dexter wrote:What software are you using to make voxels? Magicavoxel? Voxelshop? How are you making the transparent voxels?
I use MagicaVoxel. My technique is to split up a model into different elements, then I use A_SpawnItemEx to layer them on top of each other using different render styles for each. The order in which they're spawned matters when you're combining translucent/additive voxels and sprites. If you happen to see a place in my code where I spawn every element and keep the real actor invisible, that's a situation where I couldn't figure out how else to keep them all in sync while moving/rotating/bobbing/floating without having to make everyone turn off all rendering interpolation. If anyone knows a better way to do any of these things, I'd love to hear it.
XxMiltenXx wrote:Really great job with those voxels so far and I like the idea on how you implemented the transparency for them.

I only have a few points that you could improve, but they are solely based on personal opinion.
I found that some of your items are too "flat" when viewed from the side. The following items are affected:
RocketBox - "realistically" seen the current box wouldn't be able to hold 5 rockets
Backpack - doesn't need much adjustments I guess, maybe only like 2 or 3 pixels more?
ClipBox - IMO they could be a little bigger
Cell -IMO they could be a little bigger
CellPack - IMO they could be a little bigger
Medkit - IMO they could be a little bigger
Stimpack -IMO they could be a little bigger
Allmap -IMO they could be a little bigger

And for Heretic:
The statues that hold the orbs that indicate whether you need a key, I never imagined that there are two of them. You made it that there are 2 statues, one facing forward, the other backward. I'd think it would look better if there was only one.
Thanks!
OK, so I have justifications for some of these.
  • RocketBox - I made it that size because it's already pretty big (I see the ends often clip through walls as it is), and the more square you make something the more those corners are going to stick out farther than the sprite ever would. Sometimes all you can do is go with what looks the least weird. Besides, those rockets are half the size of a human. That said, you're right. I know explosive crates are usually wider than they are tall, too. I could maybe make it a little wider. I'll play around with it.
  • Backpack - You're right, it's too thin. I'll put it on my to-do list.
  • ClipBox - Not that it closely resembles one, but real military ammo cans are often narrower, and a full one of those already weighs 30 lb. And considering this one's only holding 50 rounds, it's actually way too big for its purpose. It's also the most boring sprite in the game so there's no hint of any justifiable detail to put in that extra space that I can imagine (suggestions are welcome); I'd just be adding boring to boring.
  • Cell - I see them basically like clips, which would mean they'd have to be thin enough to plug into a weapon. Is there lore on this?
  • CellPack - Why? It could be wider, but the sprite doesn't suggest much about how wide it is or what would be in that space, so I don't even know what I'd put in there. I'm trying not to go the Quake route, making cubes with the same thing on every side. :biggrin:
  • Medkit - Same as cell pack. Why? What should go there? Do we know what's in them?
  • Stimpack - It's thin, but the name makes me think it just contains some way to administer an injection, which wouldn't be very big.
  • Allmap - I struggled with this one. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be more like a CRT, and that's pretty close to what I originally made. I can't put my finger on why, but it just didn't work, so I took a little inspiration from Doom 3 and made a weird industrial PDA/tablet thing. I know it seems a little out of place in classic Doom, but it's the best option I've found. The only immediately recognizable part is the screen, and it would look pretty dumb to put screens on every side. Anything else I'd make up would be unrecognizable, so I guess it boils down to either having four out of five sides that won't look like a computer map or essentially just one of two.
I'm not trying to shut you down; I've been working on all of this for six months, so I've just had way too much time to think about these things. :lol: I've actually been working on fixing some of the accidental thinness, but some of those really were conscious decisions. Feel free to debate my thoughts, though. It's all a work in progress, and I do want to get it right.

Heretic: I pretty much hate having the twin key gizmo statue thing, but literally only about 1/8th of them face the right direction in the maps, and the symmetry helps mitigate that. Is there something like FIXMAPTHINGPOS but for angles? That would be lovely.
Oh, and there is a version with only one statue included: if you get into my VOXELDEF, there's a line at the end that switches between the two. A more elegant way of providing that option is over my head for now.

Thanks for your feedback!
Last edited by reikall on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsmurrell

Post by mrsmurrell »

hello !! I love the voxels they look amazing I have 2 suggestions for u :) I did say this over at MODDB so sorry for repeating myself if you already read it.

could you make the Stimpack and Medkit cross glow red please ? this be useful for mods like Dark doom so they can be seen :)

if your working on a brutal doom v21 patch for your voxels the medkit and stimpack names need to be changed to MEDKA0 ( Medkit ) and MEDKB0 ( Stimpack ).
I hope that helps and keep up the great work
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

@reikall: As said, most of them are just my personal opinion, but I hear you and unerstand your decisions. It is just that I have seen several modelpacks (for Doomsday mostly) where they weren't as thin when watched from the side, and I just thought it looks better.
  • - Yeah, the rocket crate is a problem if it clips through walls easily, I didn't consider that.
    - About the Medkit/Stimpack being bigger, I could argue that you heal "severe" wounds with them realistically, so you'd need a lot of content, however, it's the future, and who knows what kind of healing methods they have :). It's all debatable haha. Make it the way you like it the most and it'll give the best results nonetheles :)
    - Allmap; Yeah, that one's difficult, either a classic CRT or just a cubic design, as it may be like a computer with a screen attached to it. Well, it is a modern world, so why wouldn't they have used flat screens already. I also made a few Voxel myself (for ROTT), so I might give it a try with the Allmap and see if there is anything good I can come up with. Maybe you can include that as an alternative then - if you want that is. But first to see what I can get done xD
About the Heretic key gizmo: For those who want the alternative, it would be easier to have it accesible via an option menu instead. That would also ensure to keep multiplayer in sync, if 2 people are using your VoxelPack.
I took the liberty to write that for you if you want to include that, as an example on the yellow key gizmo.

DECORATE

Code: Select all

Actor RV_KeyGizmoYellow : KeyGizmoYellow replaces KeyGizmoYellow
{
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		KGZ1 A 1
		KGZ1 A 1 A_SpawnItemEx("KeyGizmoFloatBlue", 0, 0, 60)
		KGZ1 A 1 A_JumpIf(GetCVAR("sv_altkeygizmo") == 1, "Alt")
		KGZ1 A -1
		Stop
	Alt:
		KGZ2 A -1
		Stop
	}
}
CVARINFO

server bool sv_altkeygizmo = FALSE;
MENUDEF

AddOptionMenu "OptionsMenu"
{
	SubMenu "Reikall Voxel Settings",	"RV_Settings"
}

OptionMenu "RV_Settings"
{	
	Option "Alternate Key Gizmo Voxel", sv_altkeygizmo, "OnOff"
}
In this case you'd had to rename the voxel with the single key gizmo to "KGZ2" and you'd had to had them for the green and blue gizmo as well.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

I don't have much time but I felt compelled to make a quick post to say well done so far on the Heretic voxels. I've only played for a wee while but what I've seen are really good. Here's hoping you can find a way to orientate the voxel models as you like. :)
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Firebrand »

This looks pretty nice, you are doing an great work on the voxels, I specially enjoy looking at the Heretic Voxels myself :).
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Holy shit these look fantastic
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I hope you end up doing voxels of the Doom 64 sprites. Would love using them with my TC.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”