(Visual Doom 2 campaign progress tracker, especially neat with OBLIGE maps!)
NEW! Now as an OBLIGE Addon!
Thanks to the_darknut_rises, there is now a native OBLIGE addon that will automatically include this mod with any Doom 2 map.
the_darknut_rises wrote:I took the liberty of turning this into an Oblige addon:
(Dropbox Mirror)https://www.dropbox.com/s/oked0rtovcmg5 ... n.pk3?dl=0
(Moddb Mirror)http://www.moddb.com/mods/universal-doo ... donedition
Download that pk3 and save it in your Oblige addons directory. Then enable it through the addon list in the menu and check the box for the module.
Then when you generate a wad Oblige will insert the graphics, music, INTM and MAPINFO lumps into it, adjusting for 1, 4, 11 or 32 levels depending on your settings. So that wad will run with the universal intermission screen without needing to load any additional wads/pk3s.
To use this edition of the mod, do this:
1. Download and install OBLIGE 7.50 (http://oblige.sourceforge.net/)
2. Download this mod, unzip it, place it in the "Addons" folder inside OBLIGE's directory.
3. Run OBLIGE 7.50.
4. Press the "Menu" button and select "Addon List".
5. Make sure "UniversalIntermission.pk3" is ticked on.
6. Press Close and Restart OBLIGE.
7. Make sure you're generating a Doom 2 map by having Game: in Game Settings be set to Doom 2.
8. On the right-side section of OBLIGE, which is called the "Custom Modules", make sure the module "Universal Intermission Screens is ticked on.
9. Now any Doom 2 maps you generate with OBLIGE will automatically have this mod included.
Explanation what this mod is:
This mod won't make sense without mentioning OBLIGE first, the procedural random level generator for Doom games.
If you don't know about it yet, check it out here, its really good:
Basically, OBLIGE allows me, the player, to create complete mapsets all the way from packs of 1 level, 4 levels, 11 levels or the full 32 levels.
However, the annoying thing is that during these campaigns of freshly generated 32 map megawads, Doom 2's original scripting of the campaign still remains present, meaning that at levels MAP07, MAP12, MAP21 and MAP30, the same damn text intermissions keep popping up, ruining immersion.
More over, I miss the Intermission Screen from Doom1, where I have a birds-eye view of the whole area I'm going through. It gave a sense of meaning and satisfaction, making the whole campaign feel like there was actual progress made and that each level meant something. That the actions mattered. Doom 2 does not have this type of screen.
So thats what this mod is, a visual intermission screen that concretely shows my progress and removes the immersion ruining text sequences that were meant for default Doom 2 playthroughs only. This is what it looks like:
- 4 Versions for each OBLIGE setting. 1 Map, 4 Maps, 11 Maps and 32 Maps.
- Custom graphics with an animated strip.
- New music, replacing the reading, intermission and D2 title tracks.
- Built as a universal mod, will work with any regular 32 map megawad.
- Built as a template for other modders to freely use as they want.
- Flow of intermission favors action-oriented gameplay and has reminders for secrets and final levels.
- Appreciates your effort and gives a simple, yet conclusive ending to each playthrough.
The other issue is that OBLIGE mapsets can be generated with different themes, such as Tech, Urban or Hell, so having a custom made drawn map wouldn't make sense. I wanted it to be abstract, hence why I made it the way it is. But, this is where you come in!
This mod is a template you can REMIX!
You are completely free to do anything you want with this mod. Remix it, copy it, repurpose it and release your own version of this mod. Include it with your megawads, do it in your own style and use it as a base for anything you want. I will appreciate credit if given (and I will feel happy about it), but it is not required. I don't want to "own" this mod or restrict anyone's creativity with copyright bs.
Basically, do whatever the hell you want with this mod.
Here is a template:
Download the mod, save the template image above and go nuts. Rip and tear this mod into your image!
ZDoom modding community for all the existing mods, hard work and guts that inspired me to try and make this.
ZDoom modding community for helping me figure out how to do this mod.
ZDoom modding community for some textures I got from the Custom Texture Thread.
Machinae Supremacy for the music (Jets n Guns OST)
Other Mod Recommendations:
OBLIGE - Procedural Doom Map Generator:
SynthDoom.pk3 - Music Replacement Pack of INTENSE ACTION of 80' retro futuristic synthwave soundtrack:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addo ... -for-doom2
Universal Addon Collection for Doom 2:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addo ... onfordoom2
Plus any of your favorite gameplay mods, such as Russian Overkill, Brutal Doom, JohnnyDoom, Project Brutality, Guncaster, D4D, Trailblazer, Lithium, HXRTC, Demonsteele, MetaDoom and many more.