[Release] JP HUD Final (new update as of Dec. 2023)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jpalomo

[Release] JP HUD Final (new update as of Dec. 2023)

Post by jpalomo »

Requires a recent build of GZDoom!
Downloads Addons:
  • Old graphics (mirror): replaces the graphics with the pre-v11 graphics. Load it after the main HUD. Not compatible with mod friendly version.

Known issues:
  • Health values 32768 and above don't display the enemy health bar properly, but the numbers are still shown and are accurate.
  • Resolutions below 640x480 are not supported.
  • While this loads with any IWAD just fine, it might look weird on some (especially Strife).
  • The normal HUD isn't displayed properly until at least one tic occurs in-game.
  • Using the console/menu to change the bar color also takes at least one tic to change.
The mod friendly version should be compatible with most mods that don't replace the statusbar. Feel free to reuse this as you see fit, as long as you credit me.

To show your currently held keys, press the 'keys list' control (strife's popup screens).
You can change the color of the normal HUD in the options menu, or by changing the hud_barcolor cvar. There are currently 6 different colors available: silver (default), bronze, gold, emerald, ruby, sapphire. You can also specify where the enemy health bar is drawn and how big it is. There are a few other options available, so check them out in the options menu.

Obligatory screenshots (very outdated):
Spoiler:
This project is now on GitHub. If you would like to contribute, make a fork of the project and make a pull request with the changes.

Feedback is appreciated. Enjoy.
Last edited by jpalomo on Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Discordance

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v1

Post by Discordance »

Enemy health bars. I always wondered if that were possible. Checking this out.

Hmm, the health bar works, but I still get the normal status bar along the bottom.
One other thing, the health bar not displaying at 1024 units: I'd consider that useful rather than an issue, as its the maximum distance for autoaim, so its nice for users who don't use freelook.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Discordance wrote:Hmm, the health bar works, but I still get the normal status bar along the bottom.
The normal statusbar is being used until I can come up with a proper design for the normal HUD. Right now, this is more of a resource than a full fledged HUD.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Hey not bad, simple but elegant at the same time, I like it :D

BTW Is it possible to display the specie's name or at least the monster's ID along with the HP?
jpalomo

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v2

Post by jpalomo »

New version uploaded. Fixed a few issues regarding TIDs with your target. I simply scrapped the idea of using TIDs for anything other than the original activator of the script, it was causing issues with monsters that shared TIDs and ones that relied on script checks in maps. Added ammo graphics for fullscreen HUD. I'm still slowly working on this.
Endless123 wrote:BTW Is it possible to display the specie's name or at least the monster's ID along with the HP?
It should be possible, though I'm not sure how I will implement it into sbarinfo. I'll see about adding it in the next version.

Edit:
It is definitely possible:
Spoiler:
The current implementation uses a global array in ACS to save the actor tag.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I like the new ammo bar :)

It works flawlessly, great work :)
mallo

Post by mallo »

Whoa, this looks awesome. :D
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Thanks. Here is a little preview of what I am working on:
Spoiler:
jpalomo

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v3

Post by jpalomo »

I've uploaded a new version. Your target's name is now displayed right below the health bar. There is also a new normal HUD (still WIP). Currently held keys are displayed in the top right corner and can be toggled with Strife's key list popup control. It should be playable with any IWAD now (Strife looks a little weird, not sure how to fix).
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Great work :D

The normal HUD looks good even if it's still a WIP.

Well done :)
Mayhem666

Post by Mayhem666 »

Monsters hitpoints and Name in the hud is really awesome. i would really use that kind of thing for my project.

Good work mate.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Mayhem666 wrote:i would really use that kind of thing for my project.
Feel free! Just be sure to give credit.

I've been thinking of making a font for this HUD that replaces the big font I'm currently using. I've also got different colored versions of the normal HUD, but I'm not sure if I want to include them (I need to find out how to make a cvar to switch between them). I still have to fix the offsets too, since it doesn't look right on certain resolutions. I might have to use different graphics for different aspect ratios.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jpalomo wrote:I've been thinking of making a font for this HUD that replaces the big font I'm currently using. I've also got different colored versions of the normal HUD, but I'm not sure if I want to include them (I need to find out how to make a cvar to switch between them). I still have to fix the offsets too, since it doesn't look right on certain resolutions. I might have to use different graphics for different aspect ratios.
Maybe this could be done with an ACS script triggered by a customizable key. How to do that however i don't have any idea. I'll do some experiments on my side and if i get results i'll share the info.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Use GetCVar to get the value of the CVAR, giving the player a token (a dummy inventory item), which can be checked by SBARINFO's InInventory command.

ACS:

Code: Select all

If(GetCVar("my_cvar"))
       GiveInventory("Item_Token", 1);

Else
       TakeInventory("Item_Token", 1);
SBARINFO:

Code: Select all

InInventory Item_Token
  {
    // Stuff...
  }