Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Doorhenge » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 am

Wanted to get back into Hexen recently and am still amazed there not a Widescreen wad for it. So I made one! - using rotsprite and a lot of cutting and pasting.

The reason there's blank sprites in there is so there wont be seams in GL mode. Like how there's a seam in the top of the Hexen lifebar, and one in the Heretic skullcaps.
Attachments
WideID.rar
(208.75 KiB) Downloaded 2413 times
Last edited by Doorhenge on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doorhenge
I like da Taffy
 
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Mikk- » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 am

Excellent work! Certainly something to throw into the autoload section of the .ini!
User avatar
Mikk-
yooooooooooo
 
Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere off Kanagawa
Discord: Mikk0451#3922

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Doorhenge » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:10 pm

That's right. autoload is better practice then the skins folder so you wont get a conflict.

I'm sorry, I totally forgot about that. I changed the download to reflect that.
Doorhenge
I like da Taffy
 
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:46 am

good resource! i was hunting for some widescreen resources since my laptop's screen is that, but this one's far more extensive than the stuff i could find by myself.
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
preeeeah
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Alexandra » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Nice work!
Alexandra
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2013

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Hellser » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:50 am

One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 am

Hellser wrote:One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)

To be fair, unless you have absolutely no imagination, you should be able to visualize the weapons of Heretic and HeXen that get cut off in widescreen, then extrapolate what the mod looks like from there. After all, that's all it does, is fixes that cut-off.
Last edited by twinkieman93 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2007

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby wildweasel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 am

Hellser wrote:One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)

The exact text of the rule you're citing:
2) Just to clarify from the above rule: you need to post screenshots! If a project thread is posted without screenshots, we'll give you 24 hours to get them added, or else your project thread is going to get locked. Not everybody wants to download a large-ish WAD file and puzzle over what exactly is changed, so it helps to show people what it looks like without making them read a wall of text or download a file and be surprised. The only exception is if the mod has already been released in the thread's first post, at which point screenshots are merely suggested, not required.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Hellser » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:00 am

Hmm. See, I didn't know about that exception. Oh well. I'll give it a try when I have the chance. :P

Edit:
Nifty. I'm going to modify your wad (for personal use) -- adding in the rest of the SSG frames / sound. Since your did provide a single frame for the SSG, Ultimate Doom loads up the SSG as a weapon. Out side of that; great work. Now I have a reason to play in 16:9! (Now to get other people to do the same thing too...)
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Hellser wrote:Now I have a reason to play in 16:9!

Aye. I used to not play Heretic or HeXen in 16:9 specifically because of how various sprites, like all of the Fighter's Weapons, some of the Cleric's, and Corvus' staff experience some rather obvious cut-off. Now I can, and my eyes thank me, because having a high resolution is always a plus when it comes to not having to squint to see far away things.
User avatar
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2007

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Hellser » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 pm

I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Hellser wrote:I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.

Eh, I don't like forcing the aspect ratio because it makes everything look fat and bloated. Not that I'm usually turned away by such things... *looks at self* ... but I know it isn't supposed to look like that and it just make me feel weird.
User avatar
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2007

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:09 pm

twinkieman93 wrote:
Hellser wrote:I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.

Eh, I don't like forcing the aspect ratio because it makes everything look fat and bloated. Not that I'm usually turned away by such things... *looks at self* ... but I know it isn't supposed to look like that and it just make me feel weird.

Oh man, remember playing game boy/game boy color games on the game boy advance? Being able to stretch it widescreen or just default.
User avatar
Abba Zabba
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Location: a place lol!

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Lava Grunt wrote:
twinkieman93 wrote:
Hellser wrote:I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.

Eh, I don't like forcing the aspect ratio because it makes everything look fat and bloated. Not that I'm usually turned away by such things... *looks at self* ... but I know it isn't supposed to look like that and it just make me feel weird.

Oh man, remember playing game boy/game boy color games on the game boy advance? Being able to stretch it widescreen or just default.

Oh gawd, don't remind me. The horror... the horror! D:
User avatar
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2007

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Postby De-M-oN » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:44 pm

omg thank you so much for this..

I played Hexen in 16:9, but that fists of fighter were really really ugly.

Thank you for this.
User avatar
De-M-oN
 
Joined: 26 May 2008

Next

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 4 guests