Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 11/28/22)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marphy Black

Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 11/28/22)

Post by Marphy Black »

Greetings, ZDoom forums! I'd like to share with you all the release of a couple of small projects I've been working on. They're not ZDoom-specific (rather, they don't require any source ports at all), but I think these would be of great interest to anyone looking for IWAD enhancements/improvements/fixes.

To reiterate an old story, I came across Perkristian's high-res sound effects pack a while back. I like the idea of enhancing Doom while remaining as pure (and compatible!) as possible, so I pondered what other areas this line of thought could be applied to. Perkristian's pack is pretty definitive when it comes to the sound effects, and the music has been dealt with in many ways over the years, but what about the game's art? Of course, I wouldn't dream of recreating the art and thinking it an improvement, but I have noticed tiny little errors in the sprites that seem trivial to fix. Why not go ahead and make those fixes?

Hence, I bring you the Doom 2 and Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects. The four combined goals of this endeavor are as follows:
Spoiler:
As for how to use them, the WADs in their current state work with limit-removing ports. However, vanilla doom2.exe and heretic.exe compatibility simply requires some DeuSF work. With that in mind, you can pretty much use these WADs with any other level or mod as I can't imagine any conflicts. Simply run it with the lowest priority in the add-on hierarchy. Most newer source ports, namely ZDoom, have an autoload feature, so I recommend using that.

Doom 2/Doom Download
Here's the current download of v2.0 which includes both Doom 2 and Doom 1-compatible WADs (released 11/28/22): The package now also includes the Doom 1 and 2 Minor DeHackEd Fixes patch files as optional augmentations for convenience.

The complete Doom 2 changelog can be viewed here:
Spoiler:
Now if you've made it this far, you probably just want to see some screenshots of the changes in action. Well, truthfully, it's rather difficult to showcase the end result outside of the game since many of the effects must be seen in motion. If the idea interests you, I suggest simply downloading the WAD right now and autoloading it during any future Doom sessions. I know this sounds cheap, but some changes are subtle and I think it would ruin the point to explicitly search for the differences. Nonetheless, here are preview images of some of the Doom 2 fixes:
Spoiler:
Compatibility patches for select Doom PWADs:
Ancient Aliens compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after aaliens.wad): Back to Saturn X (both Ep1 and Ep2) compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after btsx_e1a.wad/btsx_e1b.wad or btsx_e2a.wad/btsx_e2b.wad):
  • D2SPFXBX.zip (2 MB)

NOTE: Episode 1 now officially incorporates these fixes already.

Image Image
Sunlust compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after sunlust.wad): Mayhem 2016 compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after mayhem16.wad): Mayhem 2017 compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after mayhem17.wad): Dimension of the Boomed compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after DOTB_RC3.wad): Spritefix-compatible Brightmaps Plus GZDoom by NightFright: Simplified spritefix-compatible brightmaps for GZDoom by Bauul: Work-In-Progress PWAD Compatibility Patches:
This section contain sprite fix patches for PWADs that have yet to reach a final release state but currently have public alpha or beta versions available. Due to the in-progress nature of these PWADs, you may have to return here from time to time to download updated versions of the corresponding sprite fixes. Note the dates in the sprite fix WAD filenames to determine if the version you have is up-to-date.

Back to Saturn X Episode 3 Preview compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after BTSXE3PR.wad): Eviternity II compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after "Eviternity II RC5.wad"): Full Modder's Resource WAD:
If you are a mapper or sprite artist who wishes to utilize the Doom 2sprite fixes in your own projects, this resource WAD is aimed at you. Included in the WAD file are the untrimmed graphics contents, hence they can be batched processed for new palette conversions or selectively extracted and merged for individual monster sprite edits: Heretic Download
Here's the current Heretic download of v1.0 (released 7/5/13):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbous ... SPFX10.rar (669.97 kb)

Note: The Heretic sprite fixes and widescreen-friendly graphics are split into two WAD files. This is meant to provide compatibility with the original Heretic executable as the widescreen graphics will cause the engine to crash. Anyone using source ports such as ZDoom should load both WAD files at the same time.

The complete Heretic changelog can be viewed here:
Spoiler:
Preview images of some of the Heretic fixes:
Spoiler:
This project is still very much a work-in-progress. I'm open to feedback on the current release as well as potential ideas for further changes. Thanks you for reading this far, and I hope you enjoy it too many.
Last edited by Marphy Black on Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 43 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom 2 and Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects

Post by wildweasel »

I was wondering when word of this would be spreading to this forum. Welcome, sir, and keep up the good work.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Hooray for the Firemace fix in Heretic! That big black square on the hilt always drove me nuts!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I support this. Have a pony. As soon as I can find one.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

This is a staple of autoload, I wont ever go back :p
Piter432

Post by Piter432 »

Super project :)
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

Indeed! Makes a lot of difference, I wasn't expecting that. Great work, keep it up!

I have a question though: is there any problem with having the 3 files on my autoload list?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized I'm supposed to put the files on each game's autoexec list instead of the global autoload.
Cire

Post by Cire »

The Heretic sprite fixes also goes well together with perkristian's hi-res Heretic sound pack, which is something I can recommend.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Incredible stuff! I had noticed and made autoload fixes for a number of these issues, but you caught a few I didn't (and so I will merge some of your changes). :)
Cire wrote:The Heretic sprite fixes also goes well together with perkristian's hi-res Heretic sound pack, which is something I can recommend.
This exists? Where?! :shock:
Cire

Post by Cire »

I'm not surprised some people doesn't know about it, since he hasn't advertised it very much. He put it up for download over at Doomworld here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... updated/2/
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Thanks a ton. Even incomplete, there's still some greeat resources in there.
Cire

Post by Cire »

You're very welcome.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

great work fella, that black line always made me giggle on the weredragon
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

Which of the files (for Doom 1 or Doom 2) should I use with tnt or plutonia??
mallo

Post by mallo »

Doom 2, of course. TNT is modified Doom 2.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”