[Release] "Hexen 2 texture disguise for Doom 2...

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

[Release] "Hexen 2 texture disguise for Doom 2...

Post by DBThanatos »

... And texture pack"

I didnt know if I wanted to put this as a project or as a resource. It's both.

As a project, long ago, when I ripped hexen 2 monsters and weapons, I wanted to make a TC (which is Dream Of Magic 2.0 ), but back then I didnt plan to make the levels, and I wanted a consistent look to use the monsters in stock doom 2 levels. So, I decided I would retexture the whole thing.

And that's what I did. All the textures (except for the colored-key/skull ones, some slime, and the "final boss") were replaced by hexen2's. It doesnt change anything else, not even the decorations. I did mean to do that back then, but by now, I just wanted to release the textures and this "project". There are a ton of unused textures in the pack, which I think, some people might find useful. Well, is a "just in case" case.

Does it look better? No.

Does it look different? Hell yes.

Does it make doom 2 more fun? Not really, if anything, it breaks the mood of the original levels :P

Did I hear you asking for screenies? Sure!
Spoiler:
Download here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tx8735
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [Release] "Hexen 2 texture disguise for Doom 2...

Post by Hellser »

I tried this out. I was shocked. It actually got me going 'I'm going to make a mod for this!'.

Very nice texture pack... we need more of these.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You really need to use an option other than "never" for "adjust sprite clipping". Seeing these poor bonus bottles cut like this pained me in my soul(sphere).
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

I liked Plutonia with it, it made it really creepy :)
Funny, it's for Doom2. But yeah I didn't like it in Doom2, cuz you know how it's really a city type feeling, and futuristic stuff, rather than the stuff in Hexen games. But it worked with Plutonia cuz it's a game of mostyle earthy-type environment, and it gave it a dark feeling, like D64 but with the good music ( :lol: ).
Gez wrote:You really need to use an option other than "never" for "adjust sprite clipping". Seeing these poor bonus bottles cut like this pained me in my soul(sphere).
I did notice that too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, this reminds me of a few "TCs" that I did many years ago. I went through a phase of replacing all the Doom patches with ones from other games, taking care to do it so that multi-patch textures looked correct (I would usually replace sounds and sprites too if I could).

This is good fun and works surprisingly well.
janiform

Post by janiform »

I really like the idea. I'll try using this wad to spice up Oblige maps.
Enjay wrote:Heh, this reminds me of a few "TCs" that I did many years ago. I went through a phase of replacing all the Doom patches with ones from other games, taking care to do it so that multi-patch textures looked correct (I would usually replace sounds and sprites too if I could).

This is good fun and works surprisingly well.
Post them! This seems like a relatively unexplored approach to modding that could have useful results.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I did them years ago - over a decade (I know because I remember doing them in a house that I haven't lived in for 12 years) - and I don't think I have them anywhere. If I find something, I'll post it but don't hold your breath.

Two that I remember doing were Dark Forces and Wolfenstein. I know that I did more, but I forget what games they were based on.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Ahhhhh, this takes me way back. Reminds me so much of NMD: Recharged.

There really needs to be more texture packs out there, and the Hexen II textures were pretty damn glorious. Good work~
janiform

Post by janiform »

I used this texture pack along with WW-Nazis on some Oblige levels and found the results quite pleasant.
Spoiler:
Big C

Post by Big C »

That's pretty fucking metal-lookin'. :O
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

@Enjay. I'd love to see any of those! I hope you can find them :P

@jute: well, I gotta admit, that looks nice indeed. I never thought of using Oblige.

@Mtzfire: Actually, yeah. Plutonia does look nice. I might just expand this thing to also replace the plutonia specific texture, because there are still things that look very odd.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

I'm terribly sorry for necro'ing an old thread but I must really say how much I love this texture pack! :wub:
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I'll post the download link here now that the thread is bumped.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kklzvk0dsddc25j
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Ghostbreed wrote:I'm terribly sorry for necro'ing an old thread but I must really say how much I love this texture pack! :wub:
nah good thing you did, this is great stuff
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Anyone tried it with Herian/Herian 2 yet?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”