BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition) v4.7

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ZDL_800

BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition) v4.7

Post by ZDL_800 »

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/AoiUrw1[/imgur]

Greetings Brutalists...

This is the continuation of Sergeant Mark IV's Brutal Hexen mod. Well, after been seemingly abandoned for a few years, we have continued Brutal HeXen where Sarge and Seidolon has left off.

Latest Update Feb 28, 2020

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Download and play for an amazing experience of brutality. Leave feedback please! Good feedback = progress.

Credits...

Sprites:
Seidolon - Sabreclaw gibs, Purple flares, some spark recolors, Crossbow powered sprites, some tracer recolors, Cleric and Corvus kick, Mage red lightning hand, combined Cleric Mace and Shield, captured Elf (unused)
Neoworm - Heretic Staff swing, Cleric and Fighter shields
Unknown Creator - Blue Fighter sword
ZDL - New Weapons, Altfires on all Weapons , New Classes, Optimized Sprites

Sounds:
Raven software - Hexen, and Hexen 2
Id software - Doom, and Doom 2
Seidolon - Edits from the Free Sound Library

Misc. Graphics:
Seidolon - Title graphics, minor edits of blue shadow's stuff, black box in main menu
Blue Shadow - HUD bar graphics

Code:
Sergeant Mark IV - Brutal Hexen stuff (will specify eventually)
Seidolon - New stuff (will specify eventually)
Randy Heit - Decorate bases on ZDoom Wiki
ZDL - Allocated new classes, Applied new Altfires, COOP implementation, Optimized and error fixing

Image Coop Online
At the current moment the mod works correctly in Coop Online mode, its highly recommended to add 'ResurrectUpdate' and 'GatherYourParty' to the mod order.

Image VR Edition
Will be summoned soon. For more information regarding other VR Editions please head over to the ZDL Projects Patreon page.

Image Work In Progress
In the process of Ai Neural Network Upscaling sprites and optimizing the lighting system for newer versions of GZDoom.

Image Hexen+DLC
Brutal Hexen is designed to be experienced with the Hexen+DLC MegaWAD which combines both Hexen and DLC into one brutal campaign.

Unfortunately I cannot provide this on a public forum, you will need to private message me or post a comment. For more information on the MegaWAD please head over to the ZDL Projects Patreon page, or you can use console commands to stream to the DLC but please note, we have modified the DLC for extra brutality.

DOWNLOAD

BRUTAL HEXEN RPG - Brutal HeXen v4.7

If you like our work, please consider supporting us on Patreon.

Limited Time to have your name be scribed into the walls of the Hexen intro for all eternity.

Bless'd to thee o' epic one.

Last edited by Rachael on Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:50 am, edited 28 times in total.
Reason: removed patreon link
Valherran

Re: BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition)

Post by Valherran »

I'll take a look at this.

Please use a different site to upload stuff like Google Drive or Dropbox, the one you are using now is atrocious.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Is this supposed to be used with third-party maps? In both Hexen and Deathkings, you get weapon 2 while still level 1 or level 2, considerably before you're able to actually use it, due to the level requirements. It feels weird to just have your weapon sitting around in your inventory, unusable, for quite a long time compared to how long it takes you to get it.
thedeathrunner123
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

Valherran wrote:
Please use a different site to upload stuff like Google Drive or Dropbox, the one you are using now is atrocious.
I agree. Ive played this and he used to use Mediafire. Either stick with that or go with mega or dropbox.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thankyou for the replies.

We don't have any space left on Google, Mediafire or Mega, they are all full with our accounts.

Regarding starting with weapon 2? Which character is this? I doubled checked the scripts and there's no weapon2 start for any character so you need to start a new game instead of loading up a previous save if that's the case.

Even if it did start you with weapon 2, you still need a set amount of Mana to even equip the weapon in the first place so haven't got a clue what your talking about with all due respect. I cannot replicate the issue what so ever.

Thanks again.
DarkkOne
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

I didn't say you start with it. I said that in the official levels, you find weapon 2 long before you will be character level 4. You spend a lot of time with an unusable weapon.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Sorry I understand what you mean now, yes that's intentional but you should be around Level3 when you pickup weapon2. So you only need to level up 1 to use the weapon unless you did some sort of mad speedrun?

Also we use the combined Hexen and Deathkings DLC to create a megawad, its an insane playthrough. So if you complete Hexen you proceed straight to the Deathkings DLC which has increased Ai count to compensate the high player level.

Problem is I cant release the combined WAD because it uses original Hexen content.

Regarding the official levels, I'm not sure where weapon 2 is located in the official maps? Either way there's no xp level system anyway so yes you need to xp as much as possible its an RPG mod, kill and kill more, find every secret, lots of new goodies for those who wander the crypts.

Thanks again.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

DarkkOne wrote:I didn't say you start with it. I said that in the official levels, you find weapon 2 long before you will be character level 4. You spend a lot of time with an unusable weapon.
You don't spend a lot of time without a 2nd weapon, I only went maybe 2 portals after picking it up before getting to level 4 to use it. Unless you were speed-running and avoiding everything, then it would be an issue.
Regarding the official levels, I'm not sure where weapon 2 is located in the official maps?
The spawn is based on your class.
Last edited by Valherran on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

thedeathrunner123 wrote: I agree. Ive played this and he used to use Mediafire. Either stick with that or go with mega or dropbox.
Hello and thanks for the reply.

I have to say this update is much different from the last versions that you played.

For a start all weapons have an alternate firemode and now the Mage and Cleric use Stats correctly. They also now have Mage and Cleric weapons allocated correctly.

Its completely different now and much better with other classes.

Thanks for the reply Valherran.

I agree, also this is to prevent speedrunning and pushes the player to use higher difficulties, its also going to be primarily optimized for COOP so you have to stay close as a unit and not have players randomly run off and speedrun. You need to resurrect a dead player otherwise if you respawn you will be punished with loss of mana. This is Brutal HeXen.

Speedrun = less kills = less xp = longer wait time for new weapons.

Also make sure you assign the 'Alternate Fire' in the control options if you are setting up Brutal Hexen for the first time. I use 'Alternate Fire' on the Right Click or 'Mouse 2'

Kill and Kill more.

Thanks again.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

A game freeze occurs when I approach the entrance to the castle in Darkmere. I had to close down the game via task manager. I can't progress without cheating til it is fixed.
Last edited by Valherran on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Valherran wrote:A game freeze occurs when I approach the castle in Darkmere. I had to close down the game via task manager. I can't progress without cheating til it is fixed.
Hello and thankyou for the reply.

Cant believe this, just researched online to hunt down this bug and found a post here from Frozenwolf150.
Frozenwolf150 wrote:Well, crap. I was playing Brutal Hexen v3 with the fighter, and my game froze shortly upon entering the Darkmere map of the Shadow Wood hub. I broke through the trees, summoned my golem, and took out the ettins and flying pests. But the moment I tried to kill the stalkers, GZDoom locked up. I reloaded the game and tried again, and the same exact thing happened. I would say I suspect the glitch has something to do with the stalkers, but they never caused any problems on the Bright Crucible, or in the swampy area of the Shadow Wood right before the portal to Darkmere.

I started a new game, with a different primary weapon to see if that would make a difference. This time, it didn't freeze until I was approaching the bridge to the castle in Darkmere. Something is likely wrong with that particular map.
So I read the whole thread after the post and no-one provided a fix for this error which is very strange indeed?

Ok so can you tell me what the Map number is? The map number is on your save file.

Which class are you right now? Fighter, Cleric or Mage?

Can you please provide screenshots where the errors occur? Or even better if you could send a video of gameplay up to the crash then we can try replicate this on our side. If you could upload the screenshots or video to Dropbox or something similar that would be brilliant.

Also if I can ask that you keep the savefile of the level for testing please?

Thanks again.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Map 08, Fighter.

The freeze occurs when you walk through the tunnel entrance to get to the castle.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Can I ask does anyone else have this issue?

We loaded the map into the editor and cant see anything that would break the game? I have tested the map on 2 PC's and even an old laptop and cannot seem to replicate the issue?

Thanks again.
Sergg

Post by Sergg »

please explain what exactly this stats do?

arcane mastery
tactical skill
ranged accuracy

and what i need raise first to increase my mage damage, because is very low dramatically low!!!
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thankyou for the reply.

The Mage is OP in coop so we had to balance the characters, still needs tweaking slightly but if you are ambushed at close range use the force lightning 'Q' to knockback enemies and throw the bombs with 'E'

If you want to increase the Mage damage, use the points on the 'Arcane Mastery' skill line.

Using points on the 'Ranged Accuracy' skill reduces projectile spread from weapons.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”