Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
thief666

Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Post by thief666 »

newest versiion v 0.3
http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/11127733/file.html

Hi I created that post because I am looking for people interested in helping me
with resizing doom sprites (Doom hi res / HD priject)

I found that there might be useful method for making HD sprites for ZDoom.
I am using program called SpriteBomb to get 4 time VECTOR SCALED sprites, this automatically adds pixels and smoothens interiors and edges, and then using GIMP I can add some HD elements to that sprite.
here is project outline:
The added HD elemnts are mainly base don artwork to be fouind on internet or md2 models. So before ill publish it ill have to get authors permission!!!
Its fairly easy and fast to make it so I made ALL animations of IMP, shotgun guy, zombieman and demon.
I posted some in Brutal Doom section but decided to make new topic.

I dont know if it makes any sense to continue my work if anyone is interested in help etc...
just let me know what you think ..
I have basically ALL episode 1 monsters except baron of hell BEFORE FINAL POLISHING.
I have all vanilla animation for this monsters done including some brutal doom stuff

PS dont look at pictures below as they are old versions look starting from page 15
Last edited by thief666 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Xaser

Re: Doom weapons and enemies sprites HD (8x)

Post by Xaser »

Okay, the face looks detailed enough, but the rest of the body is such a screwy filter-job that I'd never use these in-game.

I don't hold much faith in Doom high-res sprite projects mainly because they end up looking like this. It is a LOT of work to produce a sprite of sufficient quality that it actually looks good in Doom, and doing so for every single monster sprite is so time consuming that no projects thus far have opted to live up to the required standards. And honestly, in these cases, It's really not worth doing unless it's done right.
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

He looks kinda goofy, I think.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Obviously needs more polish, but looks great as a start.
thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey its actually not a filter
its vector scaling, i think that putting aside HD elements just vector scaled sprites, which is extremely fast and efortless looks less pixelized than originals
here is in-game screenshot:

and yes this are voices i want to hear i mean if nobody is excited in higher res sprites ill just do un-polished versions just for myself...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

I'd be pretty damn interested in higher-res polished versions. They'd look absolutely beautiful.
But are you sure you'd be able to? It's quite a hefty workload for just one person, though the pay-off would be amazing.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

HD does not mean High Resolution!

I wouldn't be as upset if you were promoting this project as high resolution oil paint style. Still wouldn't care for them much, ( :P ) but the concept would be way more sound.

This isn't directed specifically toward the OP, but the mindset as a whole:
Spoiler: Ubiquitous Rant
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Resolution is the smallest increment of information that a single measuring unit represents. The higher the resolution, the less information that each unit represents. For example, if you draw an image that is in real-life 1'x1', and you draw this image in 4 pixels. Each pixel represents the information of 1/2 x 1/2 feet of that object. If you have more pixels, say 32, representing the same object, your detail has been multiplied by 8x, and thus 8x the resolution.

Despite the common use of the resolution as the size of the image, rather than the detail in it, scaling up the image doesn't increase the resolution of that image. At least that's how I understand resolution from an engineering definition.

On the subject of the graphics, I wish the artist luck on completing this, however, from previous encounters for projects with the same goal, this method has been proven impractical and thus ultimately undoable in the long run. The only practical way to make high res monster sprites would be the make them in hi-poly 3D models or other real-medium models and then take snapshots of them. Drawing over existing sprites doesn't reduce much work.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

This is what? The 50th thread about "HD" doom sprites? And that graphic never gets old Neural
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

I really had to give it a try. Like Eriance said, making HD stuff is not just resizing it. You must make some stuff from free hand, add more shadow detail, and even completely rebuild some things (like in my attempt, I rebuilt most of spikes). Yeah, it takes time, but it's worth it. Take a look at my attempt to polish your sprites, and tell me what you think. It took me one hour to do the four sprites. In the last column, I am using a pre-defined effect called Inner Glow. Guys, tell me which of these versions you think better. I am looking forward to this, dude I hope you can make more sprites. Can you post a screenshot with my sprites so I can see how they look in-game?

thief666

Post by thief666 »

hey Sergeant_Mark_IV,
you made BrutalDoom, right?
anyways, i have to say that Brutal Doom was the sole reason why i started to think about hi res sprites. I just keep playing this mod
its basically better and gives way more satisfaction than many modern games (my favourite L4D2 including).
I started to think how good would all the gibs look like i hi -res, how nice it would be to do headshots when you actually can see head instead of group of pixels , etc.

Now, your modifications are simply AMAZING. adding more shodows gave the imp look similiar to what ID software did in DoomRPG, without making it "goofy".
Could you let me know what software you have used? Tommorow Ill put your enhanced IMP into game and do some in - gmae screenshots

When it comes to detail I prefer sprite without inner glow, its closer to orginal. Here Ive put some sprites side by side:

So far I have made animations for 3 variants of IMP, all animations for "HD" shotgun guy, and DEMON.
as i said Ill make some in-game screens tommorow.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The middle set of sprites are definitely an improvement, for sure. The chest spikes, feet, and hands are lacking a bit of detail, but that's not bad at all, sir.

The last set (on the right) looks odd, though, like an artificial black background has been added. Definitely go with the middle ones.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

*facepalm* ...not again...
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

I like the demon, but the imp has a strange look on his face, and the shotgun guy's face looks like a mask.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

While I appreciate and admire any attempt to recreate the Doom sprites in highres, there are many reasons speaking against even trying to do it. The most important ones:

1) Stuff must be true to the original sprites - and look good. Probably the hardest criteria to meet.
2) No one will really use this until all sprites (at least all monsters and/or items) are done. Otherwise, it lacks consistency and just looks unfinished ingame.
3) Amount of work is insane, as you all know, too many frames for too many sprites.

I have seen some promising attempts lately, but in the end they all remained drafts and prototypes, nothing I would really permanently use ingame because the rest is simply missing. Call me a Doom "purist" or whatever, but I rather hope for the completion of the Doom Voxel Project (better than the models which are available, anyway) and use HQ3x filter on the original sprites for the time being. ;)

Anyway, maybe you are getting somewhere. Good luck with it!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”