GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ZZYZX

GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by ZZYZX »

subj.

This version has been discontinued

viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745

Development notice:

I'm currently looking for people who are willing to continue more active development of GZDB(BF) from now on.
This is mainly because I have no time (due to my job) and almost no interest at the moment, compared to the time while I was still mapping and modding for Doom, as well as playing actively.
I might still push code occasionally, but not in the next few weeks or maybe even few months.

I think the best way to do this would be adding such people to the list of collaborators with full access to my repository, because in this case they will also have access to the list of issues.
However, if someone wants to really fork and continue from there — I don't really care much. This is about user experience mostly :)

I can be contacted about this either here in PM, or at Discord (ZZYZX#1394)

CURRENT MAINTAINER: boris

Prerequisites:

System requirements:
  • 2.4 GHz CPU or faster (multi-core recommended)
  • Windows 7, 8 or 10
  • Graphics card with Pixel Shader model 2.0 support
Required software: Get GZDB-Bugfix:
Binaries link: http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/
GitHub URL: https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix
Note: the devbuild is at least somewhat guaranteed to work for you. The repo, on the other side, can be in an intermediate or outright broken state. Remember that if you are building from the sources.
The system requirements and the other relevant stuff can be found on the GZDB official thread. Might also copy these here later for convenience.
Bugs and proposals: https://github.com/jewalky/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix/issues

Features:
  • All the features of the original GZDB!
  • Classic texture selection (yes, that thing GZDB died over)
  • ZScript support
  • Visual attenuated lights support
  • Visual spotlights support
  • Doom 64 sector lighting support
  • Various performance optimizations by me and anotak
  • Various bugfixes (e.g. dynamic lights properly render on middle textures, dynamic light intensive maps work better, less crashes)
  • Native 64-bit version implemented by StrikerMan780
General information:

Based on currently latest GZDB r2791, this fork aims to fix things that don't work correctly and reduce fixing of things that are not broken.
Note that I initially wanted to simply issue few pull requests into the regular GZDB, but then MaxED stated that he discontinues the development and is absent for three months already and counting.

GZDB is pretty much one of the main tools used by me for my hobbies, so I chose to instead make a fork to not have it in outdated/unusable state.
Not sure what MaxED's mapping projects were, but I'm actually using this for my maps and that's going to be the general direction, aside from actual bugfixes.
That said, suggestions and pull requests (not like I'm expecting any tbh) are welcome, but these will be options and only if you provide a valid reason to do it.

Also, MaxED did a nice job of putting his own name, project name and thread links everywhere. Not sure what can be done with all that stuff and in what order.
Easiest thing is to not do anything and simply write "THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL VERSION!" in the title — which is what I did.

Edit from 28/05/2018:
Now that the original repository is archived (you can see it here) this is probably the only actually alive continuation of GZDB.
I don't really like this fact much, so more developers are welcome; there are a lot of non-priority things to do as well as global stuff like fixing the generic lump editing functionality or implementing OGL renderer in place of DirectX.

Bug reporting notice:

When and if you report a bug, make sure to provide the full stack trace, steps to reproduce and (if applicable) a minimal example map (for example, a map that has only one sector which causes the bug).
Last edited by ZZYZX on Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 66 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Rachael »

Good to see this project live on. :)

MaxED did his own devbuilds. If you're willing to do that, I can add you, but otherwise someone will have to volunteer.

I would recommend Googling "Bootless Star" by Tiger, he automated the process considerably.

(edit: here's a link)
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

What exactly do you mean by adding me? So that I can build it myself and upload last few builds? Yes, that would be awesome.

Also, Bootless Star is useless in my case. I wanted to create automated build server like I have for D4D (people who are betatesting it know ;)) that checks the remote revision, then builds and packages every commit.
Now, GZDB already has a script that makes a devbuild .7z, but, like Bootless Star, it's Windows-based. So I can't put it on my Linux build server. That was the problem, but if I'm doing it manually, it doesn't matter anyway.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Check DRD Team.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Saw it, thanks.

edit: changed the Updater to work with the new filenames.
Manual redownloading of the current revision is required though, so that it starts working.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's probably not that important but I did try to put you in a separate folder. I gave you a PM after I added you with the details and it shows on the sidebar now.

This page also points to your home repository, as well. If time proves MaxED is really gone, I'll be removing his entry from there.
Gutawer

Post by Gutawer »

Thanks for doing this, would be really sad to see GZDB go outdated and unsupported if MaxED were to not come back at all.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Still don't know why he left to begin with... I'd rather have him stay and continue to work on GZDB his way (if that be the way) instead of leaving entirely. :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Be that as it may, it really would be best to continue this discussion in the topic that was designated for it. This topic should remain on course for discussion/reports/issues on the fork, directly.
boris

Post by boris »

ZZYZX wrote:Also, the project has been upgraded to VS2015. VS2015 Community Edition is completely free and easy to download/install.
Just downloaded the community version, but when I load the solution it still says that it needs to convert everything to VS2015. Is that intentional?
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Probably wanna to link this thread from the old.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

boris wrote:Just downloaded the community version, but when I load the solution it still says that it needs to convert everything to VS2015. Is that intentional?
Eh, that's actually a bug because I was using incorrect version of msbuild.exe for building the project from the command line, so it was resetting project's version to 3.5 instead of 14.0 for VS2015.
The project files should be ok now.
FoptionMapping

Post by FoptionMapping »

Thanks so much. Are we gonna bring back the old interface?
printz

Post by printz »

I wonder if Github lets me send pull requests to your repository, given that it's just a fork, a second class citizen. Tried it from my iPad but the web UI must be broken...
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

FoptionMapping wrote:Thanks so much. Are we gonna bring back the old interface?
The really really really old one? Not sure. Maybe.
printz wrote:I wonder if Github lets me send pull requests to your repository, given that it's just a fork, a second class citizen. Tried it from my iPad but the web UI must be broken...
As is QZDoom in relation to GZDoom (actually it's even deeper, 3rd level fork), yet pull requests to QZDoom work just fine. gg github :)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”