[minimod][v1.0.0] Sound to Screen

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

[minimod][v1.0.0] Sound to Screen

Post by m8f »

[thumb]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/558306118741262336/974955833202974720/icon.png[/thumb][imgur]https://i.imgur.com/zJSchhV[/imgur]

Sound to Screen is an add-on for GZDoom games. It displays sounds on screen depending on their position on the map.

It may be useful for people who play without sound or people with hearing impairment.

Download
Source code
Discord

Feature suggestions and bug reports are welcome. Playtesting is much appreciated.

Implementation Notes

• due to the way Sound to Screen works, it may reduce performance, especially on maps with high enemy count;
  • doors and elevators that only wait to move are detected as producing sound. There is no way to detect this properly at the moment.

Inspiration

This mod is a part of m8f's toolbox.
m8f

Re: [minimod][v1.0.0] Sound to Screen

Post by m8f »

Sound to Screen updated. Changelog:

v0.2.0:
  • added displaying moving doors and elevators;
  • made background color overridable;
  • made maximum distance and colors configurable.

v1.0.0:
  • added optional distance display;
  • 0-damage missiles, friendly and dead monster sounds are now considered noise;
  • added an option to disable noise display;
  • disabled sound display on titlemaps;
  • sound display on automap is now optional (off by default).
mamaluigisbagel
Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I don't have hearing problems, but I'm a pathetic multitasker so I miss a lot of important audio like monsters waking up. (hard to hear a monster noise when you have music and a youtube video on at the same time) If I understand right, the middle part is just telling you there's a sound. If an arrow appears when the middle one does, it comes from that side, and if the middle appears but no arrows then its in front?

I love that mods like this exist. I hope they can be put to use for a lot of people that need them.
m8f

Post by m8f »

No, it's simpler than that. Left/middle/right parts are independent.

View from tho top: the player is in the center, looking upwards. Sounds in front of him are displayed in the middle, sounds to the left - on the left side, sounds to the right - on the right side. The angle of what is considered front is FOV / 2.
mamaluigisbagel
Discord: Nonemployee#1013
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

ah I see. When I was testing it I would seem to always get both the arrow and center with the same color, and I wasn't sure if that meant it was coming from a diagonal direction or if it was what I guessed before.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”