End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-5-22]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hey Doomer

End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-5-22]

Post by Hey Doomer »

One of the charms of Quake's innovative design is its intermission camera, discussed in this forum in several posts. This is my minimalist take on that called End Cam.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Instead of or in addition to the normal intermission screen (a setting that can be changed), at the normal end of a level a security camera view of a large sector in the level pans back and forth with kills and secrets displayed. FIRE or JUMP goes to the next level. This is in beta since I'm still working on the HUD stats, but it's playable. I've not extensively tested this, but it should work with any level.

There could be a few problems in its present state. I'm not sure what happens at the end of a mission, but I've left an option to turn off the end cam for those levels (E1M9, etc). Placement of the camera (for now a single security camera) is determined by a random point close to the center of the sector. Depending on the chosen sector's shape, this could look strange, but it should avoid solid walls. Finally, I make an assumption that map names are in ExMx or MAPxx format, so it won't work if the lumps are otherwise named. It also assumes map progression is numerical and will otherwise ignore MAPINFO e.g. E1M1 goes to E1M2, etc.

Ideas I'm considering: several security cameras that switch randomly; more complete HUD stats (although who cares about par time, for one?). Maybe this is an opportunity to make this screen more interesting.

Update: This works OK with vanilla Doom. One of the mods I'm using is breaking this... :? Load order issue. 8-)

Update [1-4-22]
Spoiler:
Update [1-5-22]
Spoiler:
Now at v1.2
Last edited by Hey Doomer on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hey Doomer

Re: End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-4-2

Post by Hey Doomer »

Just posted an update. This will rotate through security cameras and be universal. It should work with any map pack. In WorldLoaded it replaces line def actions for normal and secret exits and places cameras over SOLID actors. If, by some chance, a SOLID actor is not located in a sector that could cause an issue.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very neat.

I just played through Episode 1 and a few observations/questions:

In E1M3, one of the locations picked show a close up of a wall and has a flickery sort of appearance (maybe a sprite semi in the way of the camera view?)
In E1M5, one of the locations show the player sprite standing in a position quite some way from the exit switch:
Spoiler:
On completing E1M8 there was no summary camera intermission. I'm not sure if this is because that map doesn't normally end with an intermission (i.e. intentional) or because the system doesn't capture an ending caused by a sector.

Kind of related, you said that the mod "replaces line def actions for normal and secret exits". I take it that it doesn't "know" about other exit types (like the sector in E1M8 or scripted exits etc)?
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

Enjay wrote:Very neat.

I just played through Episode 1 and a few observations/questions:

In E1M3, one of the locations picked show a close up of a wall and has a flickery sort of appearance (maybe a sprite semi in the way of the camera view?)
In E1M5, one of the locations show the player sprite standing in a position quite some way from the exit switch:

On completing E1M8 there was no summary camera intermission. I'm not sure if this is because that map doesn't normally end with an intermission (i.e. intentional) or because the system doesn't capture an ending caused by a sector.

Kind of related, you said that the mod "replaces line def actions for normal and secret exits". I take it that it doesn't "know" about other exit types (like the sector in E1M8 or scripted exits etc)?
Thank you Enjay - much appreciated. I'll check those. The player location is moved to (0,0,0) to avoid getting killed during camera display. I assumed (0,0,0) is in the upper left, but perhaps it is in the center?

Right, it's only replacing linedef specials 243 and 244. I'll check other types. You're correct that it otherwise ignores scripted exits. I'll work on that.

Again many thanks! :D

Update

My bad I should have checked a map. Quick fix - I moved the player temp coordinates to (-32767, 32767, 0) and updated.

Just another note or two. I see the flickering in E1M3. Not sure where that is, but I'll see if I can be more selective. Most likely it's a small sector with some kind of light source. At the end of E1M8 is a Teleport, something I suppose should be left alone for now. Not the worst thing in the world.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Another report. I just finished E4M8 - and that map does finish with a normal line, so it did the Quake camera thing. However, on pressing fire, I got the exittext followed by getting dropped to the console with this message:

Code: Select all

ENDSEQ26A8 - Unnamed

Unable to open map 'ENDSEQ26A8'
Hey Doomer

Re: End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-5-2

Post by Hey Doomer »

Another update with a few small changes.

Screenshot:
Screenshot_Doom_20220105_062239-576x324.png
To make this more feature complete compared to the usual intermission screens, I've added an item count. I've also added the skill level for bragging rights. I looked at the camera placement and a made a few small optimizations. I've added a player start and exit camera and a random element to those in between for variety. There's a new menu option to set the chance of spawning a camera.

The end levels are interesting, and I've decided to avoid these altogether. If the next level is the end of an episode or sequence, no end cameras are displayed.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

When I beat a map it just stays looking around. I cannot move forward to next level. Not sure why
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You press the fire button rather than the usual key that you have bound to ending the mission (i.e. your [use] key).
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

Enjay wrote:You press the fire button rather than the usual key that you have bound to ending the mission (i.e. your [use] key).
I press the fire button / alt fire and nothing happens. If it matters, I'm using delta touch with gzdoom 4.7.1. I'm using a bunch of other addons like drpg lite + legendoom lite and drla. If that helps.
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

cosmos10040 wrote:
Enjay wrote:You press the fire button rather than the usual key that you have bound to ending the mission (i.e. your [use] key).
I press the fire button / alt fire and nothing happens. If it matters, I'm using delta touch with gzdoom 4.7.1. I'm using a bunch of other addons like drpg lite + legendoom lite and drla. If that helps.
The ACS script does this:

Code: Select all

if (buttons & (BT_JUMP | BT_ATTACK))
So if Fire doesn't do the trick Jump should.
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

Thank you! It works! Very cool mod!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Okay, so uh, sorry for the bumping, if unnecessary.

After playing a while with this mod i realized that, when playing it on LZDoom (don't know if this can be replicated in GZDoom), whenever i finish a stage, the next stage either sets its difficulty to "I'm too Young to Die", or "Nightmare!". It could be any stage or any gameplay mod. I only found out because i was playing a mod where the ammo spawns suddenly doubled on MAP02 and i realized that endcam was doing it.
Artzo

Post by Artzo »

Where can you download this mod?
DELTAtheDboi005
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-5-22]

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

Download?
Void Warrior

Re: End Cam (Quake-style Intermission Camera) [Updated 1-5-22]

Post by Void Warrior »

The idea is interesting! Only Hey Doomer do two things: display screenshots normally and add a link to download your Mini-Mod. Seriously, but who does that? :|

Return to “Gameplay Mods”