Brutal Doom Platinum v1.2 release! GZ focused brutal fork

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Brutal Doom Platinum v1.2 release! GZ focused brutal fork

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:03 am

Brutal Doom Platinum, formerly known as Dox's Personalized Brutal Doom, is an ongoing fork of brutal doom designed for gzdoom, featuring many new details, tons of polish, and expanded mechanics

BD Platinum is designed for the newest version of gzdoom as of the latest update (11/30/2021)

Update v1.2 Showcase:
https://twitter.com/EmeraldCoasttt/stat ... 96704?s=20

Get it at ModDB!

Features include, but are not limited to:

-Revamped weapon animations
-Bloodstained boots and gloves
-Kicking any time, duke nukem style
-Detailed brightmaps for monsters and weapons alike
-Tons of creative weapon modes and altfires
-New enemy attacks
-Added visual variety in enemies and items
-Remade Demon Runes
-Returning features from early versions of brutal doom
-Extensive weapon developer support
-Sprinting
-Secrets!!!
-Almost every feature of Brutal Doom v21, with as reduced jank as possible

v1.2 changelog:
-Players are now faster accross all classes
-Sigils and boss weapons have been added, using zdoom's inventory system
-Energy ASG is more effective
-Slide kick is buffed
-Swapping grenades now displays on screen
-Glass slugs now fire faster than buckshot, perfect for sniping
-Minigun turrets
-Footsteps shouldn't alert monsters
-Added Freezethrower
-Added Trip mines to rocket launcher
-Archviles can now teleport

Previous Changelogs:
Spoiler:

Weapon Tutorials:
Spoiler:

Planned features:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Known bugs:
Spoiler:

Extensive credits can be found in BD Platinum's "Brutal Doom Options" menu
If there's any credits missing, let me know and I'll fix that right away

Submissions and feedback are absolutely welcome, this is a community driven mod

Brutal Doom Platinum's offical discord can be found here!

Thank you for all of your support, it's an honour to continue Dox's Personalized Brutal Doom as he moves on to bigger and better things, and I believe I can live up to your expectations! ~EmeraldCoasttt
Last edited by EmeraldCoasttt on Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
EmeraldCoasttt

Discord: Emerald#7486

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.0 release! GZ focused brutal for

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:12 am

Been keeping an eye on your work. Congrats on the release.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:01 am

Ese dedico ahi (that finger there). xd
Looks good however i don't play BD anymore.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Sgt. Ham » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:51 am

Zscript Brutal Doom, eh? That's an interesting one. I also kinda felt like Vanilla BD did a bit too much jank in it like it was trying to be Project Brutality, props where it's due to Sgt. Mk IV though for announcing he's gonna address that for its final version, so I'm looking forward to see how it's all been handled in this fork once I find time to look into it. I'm already in love with all the new weapon sprites, animations, and new stuff like glass slugs (something I've never heard of before). Oh, and as for that flying Mancubus? Fan-fucking-tastic. All you need to do is put it to the Jetpack Joyride soundtrack and you're all set. Hope this project goes well and good luck, man! :D
Sgt. Ham

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby kalensar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Its kind of a laggy thing on my PC, whereas BD21 runs very smooth. I have no idea why there is the lag that there is as there doesn't seem to be much difference in the effects and stuff. The other thing is the move speed of the non-tactical classes. You're basically walking when you run and there is no sprint key to toggle anywhere in the controls options.

Other than the neat upgraded enemies, its performing subpar on everything else basically in comparison to BD21 for the graphics and Player controls.
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby That0neBr075 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:43 pm

R A D
Overall, a real solid version of Brutal Doom, reminded me of when I first got into doom modding.
However as previously stated, the default movement speed of the non-tactical classes is a lil' head scratching. That, and imo the pump shotgun's reload speed feels slower than vanilla BDv21 and could maybe be sped up a bit.
Besides those two small gripes, this is pretty enjoyable, and feels very polished!
That0neBr075

Postby Crudux Cruo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:41 pm

This is absolutely awesome in every way. I really hate how cluttered and unoptimized project brutality is, and the lack of polish with brutal doom with buggyness and such, but this is a rebirth of epic proportions. Thank you sooooo much!
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:17 am

I really appreciate all of the kind words and feedback, everyone!

I'm currently working on v1.1, which will address the most pressing bugs as well as adding new mugshots for the demon morphs by Craneo

Rip and Tear!

EmeraldCoasttt

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:01 am

Ah yes, our favorite nightmares in high quality! :D
Starman the Blaziken
Are you finished with those errands?

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby popguy12 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:26 am

enjoying it so far, took me a moment to find the always bob option lmao
i think my only gripe so far is the new pistol mags. the new ones kinda blend in and dont really match the SMG or Pistol, which im assuming is why the rifle ammo mags got changed, to better match the new rifle sprites.
personally, i think i woulda kept the slightly slanted ones, since they more so match Beretta magazines, but tweaked its coloring and shading a bit. probably would be nice to have variants for the SMG mags too, which i mean, the BD SMG mags just look weird in general tbh
popguy12

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:44 am

It good to see Brutal Doom getting tidied up and ported to a modern codebase. It really needs it. I was surprised to see so much ACS still in the PK3 though. Is that something that needs to be there or will it be getting re-done in ZScript too?

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of BD and I only ever play it vary rarely* but this does seem to be very well done. I'll definitely be interested to see where you go with it next.

*I just find it too "noisy" - visually, gameplay-wise and literally - to the point that, for me, it just feels cluttered and thereby loses the simplicity of Doom's gameplay. I guess I must be a "less is more" kind of person as far as "straight" Doom gameplay mods are concerned. ;)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 am

Enjay wrote:It good to see Brutal Doom getting tidied up and ported to a modern codebase. It really needs it. I was surprised to see so much ACS still in the PK3 though. Is that something that needs to be there or will it be getting re-done in ZScript too?

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of BD and I only ever play it vary rarely* but this does seem to be very well done. I'll definitely be interested to see where you go with it next.

*I just find it too "noisy" - visually, gameplay-wise and literally - to the point that, for me, it just feels cluttered and thereby loses the simplicity of Doom's gameplay. I guess I must be a "less is more" kind of person as far as "straight" Doom gameplay mods are concerned. ;)

Brutal doom is a big and messy mod- So while I do port decorate and acs to zscript when needed (The base weapon class will be zscript soon!) I tend to leave things as-is if they aren't actively broken

I tend to use a hybrid system, making new base classes in zscript that the existing decorate actors can inherit from so I can get the features of zscript without the tons of work it'd take to port any individual file- that's how the base weapon class is handled as well
But for weapons in particular that isn't sustainable, so I need to consolidate the base weapon class and its' zscript base into one actor
If it was my choice that would have been done a long time ago, but I wanted to respect the former leader's lack of zscript confidence
That'll most likely come in 1.2- just working on fixing bugs and some minor additions for 1.1

I want to make sure that even as the base weapon class is ported to zscript and cleaned up, weapons can still be built in decorate- this is community driven after all, and I want to support modders that haven't made the jump to zscript yet
EmeraldCoasttt

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.1 release! GZ focused brutal for

Postby EmeraldCoasttt » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 am

Just released v1.1, fixing a number of bugs and adding new graphics for the demon morphs' mugshots. OP has been updated to reflect this.
EmeraldCoasttt

Postby Carrotear » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 pm

The addons that add more weapons work. However if you kick with those weapons, then you can't fire any weapons.
Carrotear
My arm hurts

Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby dard98 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Love it, i think i will prefer this one over normal Brutal Doom. Also, i had an accident with chainsaw:
dard98

Discord: 7977
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods