Zorch Mode - Chex style Zorching replacing any monster death

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Zorch Mode - Chex style Zorching replacing any monster death

Postby the_darknut_rises » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:27 pm

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4821rnjdj3p4 ... e.pk3?dl=0

Zorch Mode

Have you ever wanted to play Doom but worried that it was too gosh darn violent? Have you ever wished that instead of killing the demons you could send them back to their own dimension alive and unharmed? Possibly as part of a balanced breakfast. Well Zorch Mode has you covered.

When playing with this mod anytime an enemy dies instead of playing the whole death animation it simply shows the first frame vanishing in a flash of pink light. Inspired by the zorching animations when you kill the flemoids in Chex(R) Quest. It also stops enemies from bleeding when hit. It's applied generically so it should work on any monster, including modded monsters, out of the box. There are no weapon changes included so you will have to make up your own head canon as to why the enemies are being zorched rather than killed.

Technically speaking it works on any monster as soon as it enters it's death or xdeath state. It may not work on mods that do strange things with these states or have monsters 'die' without calling a death state.

It's not iwad dependent so it will work with Chex Quest itself. The one practical use I've thought of for this thing is if you wanted to make a map for Chex and include some modded monsters. These monsters and the flemoids will all get zorched in a consistent way. I'm thinking of doing something like this which is why I made it in the first place.

You are free to use any of the code in any way you like, just don't do anything evil with it yeah? Credit is always appreciated but not required. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about how it works and apologise in advance for my lack of decent code commenting.
The sound effect is taken from Chex Quest.

Screenshot:
Zorch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_darknut_rises

Re: Zorch Mode - Chex style Zorching replacing any monster d

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Awesome! Now I can send monsters into the shadow realm - a fate worse than death. :twisted:

I love the premise of this mod, definitely will include it in some autoloads where it feels right. One huge benefit from this mod I can imagine is massive performance gain due to no blood, no corpse or animated death taking place. That said, having feedback that I hit my target with my weapon is important, so disabling blood without having something in its place (like sparkles) might make combat less enjoyable.
Spaceman333

Re: Zorch Mode - Chex style Zorching replacing any monster d

Postby Spaceman333 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am

Can you make a version where instead of the zorch sound effect, the zorch'd monster will play its pain sound instead?

I love everything else about the mod, but the zorch sound feels too obnoxious and cartoony.
Spaceman333

Return to Gameplay Mods