Dehacked Attack v4.0 & Dehacked Defense v3.0

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Dehacked Attack v4.0 & Dehacked Defense v3.0

Post by Untitled »

SCREENSHOTS: https://imgur.com/a/sX6bgvz

GitHub: https://github.com/UntitledsTakenNOOOO/dehacked-attack

DEHACKED ATTACK: A doom monster randomizer centered around recreating DEHACKED monsters from various wads slammed together into this mess of a random spawner mod. The list of WADs in the screenshot is what is there, but if you want the detailed breakdown, go to the GitHub page, which has the full list. It's VERY long.
You can use the options in the menu (which is what the screenshot is because I have zero artistic ability whatsoever) to control which WADs' monster sets are enabled or disabled, so if anything is too frustrating you don't have to play with it, as some of you may not like those thrice-damned plasma marines from Scythe 2.
DOWNLOAD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tfUpkN ... share_link

DEHACKED DEFENSE: A spin-off of the above, this time it's weapons rather than monsters. Uses a class-based system to determine your starting gear, but the weapon pickups themselves are either class-based or randomized, depending on what you feel like.
You can use the options in the menu to control which WADs' weapon sets are enabled or disabled, much like in Dehacked Attack, as well as including what gear you start with each map and also whether or not the pickup system is class based or randomizer based.
DOWNLOAD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jnsQdO ... share_link
CREDITS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Untitled on Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Spaceman333

Re: Dehacked Attack - Blast from the Past (And Present)

Post by Spaceman333 »

If I counted it right, there's up to 67 new monster replacements - all with new behaviours and stats!

Always happy to see compilation mods, especially ones that can be used with any weapons mod for maximum variety.

Thank you for making this! :D
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

The variety of challenging enemies is real nice for gameplay mods that beef up the player a good bit. Only suggestions I have are a Disable All/Enable All button, and the option of tweaking the spawn rates to make it so that if you're only fighting enemies from a specific wad, those enemies will always appear. (Example being that despite only having Valiant enabled, there were still more vanilla imps than Valiant imps.)
Besides that small nitpick, THIS MOD'S CERTIFIED RAD
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Yeah, that's a consequence of how I coded the feature - using the imp as an example, basically the imps (except the default, obviously) are all randomspawned in, but the actor that spawns does a check to see whether it's eligible to spawn (either from the Enabled/Disabled OR from it outscaling the level, if the Level Scaling feature is enabled), and, if it is, spawn a regular imp instead of a custom one (and then remove itself), but it means that basically all the Enable/Disable CVars do is replace stronger monsters with weaker ones - it can't do the reverse unless I re-tool the system quite a bit.

It's admittedly a neat suggestion; but it mostly stems from the fact that Valiant is the one wad of the bunch which outright uses DEHACKED to modify common enemies rather than purely adding new ones, and the only other cases of in the outright 'replace the actor entirely' position are:
- The cosmetic-only changes (STRAIN's Chaingunner, Ancient Aliens' Mancubus/Arachnotron)
- Eviternity's Annihilator (replacing the Baron of Hell)

As for an Enable/Disable all button...well, that'll get added in V1.02, which should drop whenever I get around to coding the feature (alongside full LegenDoom compatibility).
Last edited by Untitled on Sun May 23, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I know it's actually intended in original counterpart, but green shadow imps spawn green spirit that easily turn on their masters, rocket zombies usually blast themselves by launching a rocket against the wall.

And my, you even put boss fight option to it. This is very good! However some of the bosses are super bullet sponge-y like the inquisitor and some bosses would use archvile fire, hence making the boss fight practically hopeless if there's no cover at all like in vanilla doom 2's MAP30.

So yeah, very brilliant and great addon!
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

There's a reason I put that warning that says most of those aren't very balanced - most of those exist more as me messing around and realizing that I liked what I had done just enough that I wanted to keep the result than something that I feel people will actually use that often.

EDIT: Released V1.02.

Changelog:
- Added full LegenDoom compatibility! Heroic Weapons can take down those bosses a lot more easily now.
- Added menu options for enabling/disabling the all monster sets at once for faster selection.
- Fixed Cardinals infighting with normal Cyberdemons - they don't have +NORADIUSDMG, which means I need +DONTHARMSPECIES, which I forgot originally.
- Fixed some typos in the README.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you're looking for suggestion for extra content, a way to find potential candidates would be to look here. This should give you mostly talk pages to mods that have custom things, not all of those are DeHackEd obviously, but it's a start. I'd suggest Avactor, Mayan Mishap, Scimitar...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well you have a point there.

Also here's the extra feedback to go around: i see that zombiemen are mostly not replaced into something new. Frankly i don't remember which referenced WADs have the modified zombieman but pretty sure there's must be one. And kinda expected All Hell is Breaking Loose monsters minus the big ones like heli because i really liked the overall metal-as-fcuk design of it.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Gez wrote:If you're looking for suggestion for extra content, a way to find potential candidates would be to look here. This should give you mostly talk pages to mods that have custom things, not all of those are DeHackEd obviously, but it's a start. I'd suggest Avactor, Mayan Mishap, Scimitar...
Oh wow, I didn't know someone actually had tracked this stuff down - I'm mostly going with "WADs that I've just passively heard of by being around the community" as my general exposure.
Captain J wrote:Well you have a point there.

Also here's the extra feedback to go around: i see that zombiemen are mostly not replaced into something new. Frankly i don't remember which referenced WADs have the modified zombieman but pretty sure there's must be one. And kinda expected All Hell is Breaking Loose monsters minus the big ones like heli because i really liked the overall metal-as-fcuk design of it.
The one custom zombieman is the Former Ranger, which is from Antaresian Reliquary (antares031, released in 2020). The main issue is that Zombieman are so weak that very few custom zombies aren't better suited for the shotgunner slot that's right above it, which has like five different replacements.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

This was pretty interesting. Definitely a good randomizer.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

BUGFIX: V1.03 is out, check OP for download.

Changes:
- Due to me being a dumb, I accidentally made the Antares Plasma Elite fire in series of five energy bolts instead of three (it fires in series of five if it goes Legendary as part of hidden LegenDoom compat, and I accidentally got the missile state names mixed up).
- Also due to me being dumb, I somehow forgot to make the Eviternity Nightmare Demon call A_NoBlocking, so it's corpse would still be rendered solid, which meant it could block things, and it's probably for the best that it doesn't do that.
Untitled

Re: Dehacked Attack v1.5 - Blast from the Past (And Present)

Post by Untitled »

Alright, major update time! I bumped the version number to v1.5 to represent the jump.

FOUR new WADs have found representation in the wad: Mayan Mishap (Tango, 2014), Counterattack (Mechadon, 2017), 50 Monsters (AD_79 et al, 2018), and Doom 64 for Doom 2 (Mechadon et. al, 2018), though 50 Monsters only has a new final boss.
I've also added an option to make it so Nightmare monsters (Imp, Spectre, Cacodemon all have NM variants) are either Spectre-rendered (more vanilla-like) or Subtractive rendered (more psx-like).

Check OP for download like always.

(Next up for the v2.0 version bump: Avactor, Maskim Xul, and 180 Minutes Pour Vivre)
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I do have one big idea: The Doomer Boards Project series. (monthly mapsets done by the fine folks at Doomer Boards Projects)

To be frank, quite a few of those have dehacked-based monsters, but that depends on the theme of each of those projects.

From what I've seen so far, very nicely done. Loving seeing the dehacked monsters from the past and present get their own mod. Right down to the implementation of the final bosses. Can't wait to see more.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

Been having a lot of fun with this one! It's definitely been kicking my ass, though. If I may make one suggestion, which I'm sure you've likely heard before, is there any way you could make maybe a deeper menu for each set that can enable and disable specific monsters at the user's choice? I'm not sure if that's exactly reasonable to suggest but I figured I'd suggest it anyway!

There's just a few sets that I really love certain monsters (the miniature Cyberdemons oh my god) but don't like others in that set.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

dljosef wrote:I do have one big idea: The Doomer Boards Project series. (monthly mapsets done by the fine folks at Doomer Boards Projects)

To be frank, quite a few of those have dehacked-based monsters, but that depends on the theme of each of those projects.

From what I've seen so far, very nicely done. Loving seeing the dehacked monsters from the past and present get their own mod. Right down to the implementation of the final bosses. Can't wait to see more.
The main issue is I don't have too much exposure to the Doomer Boards Project, nor are the monsters documented, and I don't particularly want to dig through (however many installments there are now) to actually dig out individual monsters.
PokeParty445 wrote:Been having a lot of fun with this one! It's definitely been kicking my ass, though. If I may make one suggestion, which I'm sure you've likely heard before, is there any way you could make maybe a deeper menu for each set that can enable and disable specific monsters at the user's choice? I'm not sure if that's exactly reasonable to suggest but I figured I'd suggest it anyway!

There's just a few sets that I really love certain monsters (the miniature Cyberdemons oh my god) but don't like others in that set.
Weirdly enough, I haven't actually heard that as a suggestion, which somewhat makes sense - historically, most monster randomization mods (though there are some that pre-date me in this feature) tend to be just that: fully random, with maybe a tweak here or there. Originally, I also went full random (before release), but as I added more and more monster sets, I realized that turning all of them on at once results in the experience being a bit of a mess, to put it mildly. In the end, I separated it by mapset because it was the most in theme with what the mod represents.

Level Scaling was the big feature I'm the most proud of in that sense, because, while the choices are odd (since they're inherited from their original WADs - and I'm strongly considering changing that, but the problem is it's much harder to make judgement calls on that), it allows the experience as a full wad playthrough (for megawads, at least) to be kind of less messy, getting gradually crazier until it finally goes all out at the end of the megawad.

With 75+ monsters (oh geez) expanding the sets by individual monsters starts making the menu unwieldy to actually use (there's a reason there's a enable/disable all option at the top of the monster set options), plus, while it isn't necessarily hard to implement, it's very time consuming and for the most part this isn't a project I really intend to spend that many hours on, mostly because while I still enjoy the Doom community and whatnot, I'm not nearly as invested in it as I used to be. It's a tenuous maybe, though there are a few select monsters that are well-known enough that I might extract them out of their respective monster sets and make them separate.

The main issue with the mini-cyberdemons, in my experience, is that I vastly underestimated just how friggin' common revenants are in most modern megawads, which meant the figure I used as their spawn chance, 10%, is actually far more common than it probably should be for something that, you know, fires cyberdemon rockets.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”