Universal Sentinel Hammer add-on for any mod (almost)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Universal Sentinel Hammer add-on for any mod (almost)

Postby 1dkfa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 am

Hey fellas! Betrayer's (or Commander Valen's) hammer, usable in Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2, was ported to Project Brutality sometime ago. It will not work just like it does in TAG2, but it's very close to it :D
And now I decided to make this hammer universal, so you can use it with any mod (except for those without vanilla hands, but you can still load it!). So, how this thing works?

It doesn't make a ground-slam like it does in DE:TAG2. It is a separate weapon now which recharges other a time. You can have 1000 (5) charges as maximum. You get Sentinel Hammer (SH) at the very beginning of your playthrough. To select SH, bind a special button in Customize Controls options.
Hitting enemy or a wall/floor gives different effects. If you hit an enemy, you make a massive damage to one demon and getting some ammo . You will lose only 200 (1) charge. But if you hit wall/floor, you will make a high-damaging shockwave without getting ammo, but you will lose 600 (3) charges.

But it's not all features! You can actually upgrade your Sentinel Hammer! You are getting upgrades automatically in MAP08, MAP16 and MAP24. In MAP08, your SH will give more ammo by killing demons. In MAP16, ground-slam will be more powerful and in MAP24 ground slam will need only 500 charges, this will make you able to use ground-slam twice before waiting a Sentinel Hammer to recharge

As you can see, Universal Sentinel Hammer addon adds a hammer with functions of Crucible (kill any enemy with one charge), Chainsaw(get ammo) and Sentinel Hammer from DE:TAG2 (massive shockwave). I made it for only one reason - it was too hard to animate an original, ground-slam attack from DE:TAG2, and also... it's not satisfying at all! I tried, believe me.

Video showcase (it's a PB version but Universal one functions absolutely the same way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxywnkskKZY&t=16s

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/gydm82y (only one yes)

Download link: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/add ... mer-add-on

I hope you will enjoy it :D
1dkfa

Re: Universal Sentinel Hammer add-on for any mod (almost)

Postby Twitchy2019 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Ok, I tried the mod, and here are my two cents for improvements. The hammer's main flaw is its extremely short attack range. Like you have to be like right next to an enemy to use. I am trying to remedy this as we speak but my knowledge of Decorate is not the best. You should increase the range that an enemy can get hit by the regular swing. This hammer looks like you could hit someone from at least three to five feet away. Another issue is this is a BIG FUCKING HAMMER. If its gonna be used in the context of having a singular swing for enemies instead of just a shockwave attack, it should be able to swing and hit multiple enemies in a single swing. I know that sounds counterproductive to the slam you can do with this hammer but I cannot just imagine swinging this and it only hits one out of a group of close knit enemies when my crosshair is on just one. Other than that I am glad this mod exists.

Thanks for your mod! :D

Edit: So after some time experimenting I found using a radius of 60 does a lot better and is a good balance between having enough melee range to hit enemies while also not striking walls all the time. Try this and see if this works for you. I also found a bug where in the normal unedited file the mod does not do a proper shockwave if hit against the floor. It only works if a wall is present next to the floor, not on open ground away from walls. In other words, the shockwave only works on walls and not the floor. If it helps I am using GZDoom 4.2.1.
Twitchy2019

Postby 1dkfa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:21 am

Twitchy2019 wrote:The hammer's main flaw is its extremely short attack range. Like you have to be like right next to an enemy to use. I am trying to remedy this as we speak but my knowledge of Decorate is not the best. You should increase the range that an enemy can get hit by the regular swing. This hammer looks like you could hit someone from at least three to five feet away.

Thanks for your feedback! This thing is intentional, and reason is... this hammer is too powerful, like, it can kill Hell Knight with only one hit and even give you ammunition, so you have to take a risk to do that!
1dkfa

Postby slyrboi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 pm

This is cool especially the Universal part. Now i wonder the possibility of universal flame belch. One thing i only had is that, sometimes the hammer won't register very well even though i'm right in front of the enemy. It happens very rarely, but a little bit annoying. Otherwise, this still runs pretty well with all mods i have ran with
slyrboi

Return to Gameplay Mods