Described Difficulties [universal addon] (v3.1)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Described Difficulties [universal addon] (v3.1)

Postby Spaceman333 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:28 am

DESCRIBED DIFFICULTIES
-Universal Addon-

Download:
DescribedDifficulties.pk3

ModDB mirror

Why:
As an analytical person, I feel annoyed when a game gives me a choice of difficulty options but doesn't fully explain them and their effects. This mod aims to correct that.

About:
  • Featuring 8 difficulty options, each will provide a concise description of what it does.
  • Each has a specific purpose, so its more about choosing what kind of playthrough you'll do next, rather than a ladder of increasing hardness.
  • Everything has been balanced around Doom's three middle difficulties (HNTR, HMP, UV), while Nightmare and any respawning monsters have been completely removed.
  • The Default difficulty level is titled "Hard" (same as Ultra Violence).
  • The 3 difficulties after "Hard" are considered optional mutators/modifiers that add alternative ways the play the default "Hard" difficulty level.
  • Accept in your mind that these alternative variants of "Hard" are not "better"; they're simply a flavor. If you beat the game on "Hard", then you can consider you have beaten it correctly and fully. Anything after that is just extra messing around.
  • The first and last difficulty levels on the list are merely silly modes; one is for a relaxing walk where most thing can barely hurt you, while the other one is a ultra fast power fantasy where just want to burn on full adrenaline, feeling unstoppable against ruthless, yet brittle enemies.

Known Issues:
  • While most gameplay mods will work fine - since they often just use Doom's original difficulty system as a base, which this mod is based on too - some more specialized gameplay mods and total conversions that may have special features or mechanics tied to custom difficulty levels can result in some of those features not working ingame. This happened to me with the total conversion Ratchet & Clank: Hot and Bothered. Most other mods I use, work excellent otherwise.
  • Some gameplay mods that change the main menu may cause the difficulty options menu use the small font instead of the cooler big font. Just an aesthetic issue.
  • Obviously, if a particular mod relies on different settings for default global enemy/ammo/damage scaling, this mod will overwrite all that. More often than not, this isn't an issue.

Spoiler: what it looks like inside the code

Spoiler: change log

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman333

Re: Described Difficulties [universal addon]

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm

So uh, what happens if my mod has only one difficulty level?
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby openroadracer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:So uh, what happens if my mod has only one difficulty level?
From what the OP leads me to believe, this mod would override that difficulty setting with its own set.

I figure you're supposed to use this as a basis for your own difficulty settings in your own mods, as long as you credit its original creator.
openroadracer

Discord: Dump The Trump#5789
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Spaceman333 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 am

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:So uh, what happens if my mod has only one difficulty level?

It resets it, overwrites it and replaces with the 8 options this mod provides.

As long as your mod's difficulty level uses doom's native difficulty system and its values are set close to the default skill levels (Ultra Violence, Hurt Me Plenty, Hey Not Too Rough), then it'll work seamlessly. Issues only arise if you've set your mod to heavily rely its balance on values tied to difficulty levels, like DamageTaken, DamageGiven, AmmoPickupMultiplier, HealthPickupMultiplier... which isn't really good design practice, since balance should be done within the actual entities to achieve the experience you're trying to craft. Most mods thankfully do not do this.
Spaceman333

Postby Spaceman333 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 am

openroadracer wrote:I figure you're supposed to use this as a basis for your own difficulty settings in your own mods, as long as you credit its original creator.

Nah, I just load it up along side any gameplay mod I want. I've used this with atleast these mods:
-Brutal doom
-Led's Generic Weapons
-Weapons of Saturn
-Project Apollyon
-Combined Arms
-Mechatron
-Lt. Typhon
-Thy blood consumed
-Guncaster
-Russian overkill (this one is sort of an exception, since it features options that go upto 10x health for enemies, but if I don't care for that and just want to powertrip on vanilla's Ultra Violence level of balance, then its cool.)
-Complex Doom
-Scalliano's Super Shuffle
-Johnny Doom

It works universally with anything as long as the mod doesn't tied actual scripting to the difficulty levels, which thankfully is very rare and only seen on total conversions that aren't meant to be played with addons anyway.

That said, this mod is CC0 / Public Domain / WTF public licence, so if you want to use it as a base for your mods, then do so freely, no permission or asking or even credit required. I just made this mod since I needed it myself and released it if anyone else was longing for something like this.
Spaceman333

Postby openroadracer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Spaceman333 wrote:That said, this mod is CC0 / Public Domain / WTF public licence, so if you want to use it as a base for your mods, then do so freely, no permission or asking or even credit required. I just made this mod since I needed it myself and released it if anyone else was longing for something like this.
Well, thanks for the correction; but if I had the skills needed to make a mod off of this, I'd still credit you just to be polite.
openroadracer

Discord: Dump The Trump#5789
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby nes bros » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 am

even if you don't need to credit, morals say you should if you can, just to be polite and not take credit for something you didn't make.
nes bros
some idiot online

Discord: Nes_brosYT(forgot what the discrim was)
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 am

You, Spaceman333, are my hero! :wub:

For so long, I have been looking for a mod that addresses Doom and Heretic's generally low difficulty and overabundance of supplies. Playing on Hard Tough has proven to be just what I needed!

Thank you so much! :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Described Difficulties [universal addon] (v3.1)

Postby Spaceman333 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:54 am

Tiny update: (v3.1)

- added TotalInfighting tag to Goofy Tank difficulty. Somehow I forgot to put it in previously. Its fixed now and monsters should friendly-fire even same species.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:You, Spaceman333, are my hero! :wub:

For so long, I have been looking for a mod that addresses Doom and Heretic's generally low difficulty and overabundance of supplies. Playing on Hard Tough has proven to be just what I needed!

Thank you so much! :D

I'm very happy to hear that, thank you! :D
Spaceman333

Postby Doctrine Gamer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm

I’ve been following Spaceman’s mods for a few years and most of them I think are essential. :thumb:

Now I can venture into Plutonia in Goofy Tank without stressing me out so much. :lol:

Does it work with Heretic?
Doctrine Gamer
Holger Danilchenko

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:51 pm

I believe it does, yes!

Personally, I was not satisfied with Overkill mode, so I decided to edit MAPINFO with SLADE to replace it with three new ones:

Spoiler:

They work great with mapsets that give you too much ammo and mods that make you overpowered! :mrgreen:
JohnnyTheWolf

Return to Gameplay Mods