Scavver's Paradise V1.0 A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WEAPON LIMITER SYSTEM: What do you think would work best?

Poll runs till Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 am

1) Two weapons per weapon category (As it currently is)
42%
2) Remove weapon categories and limit players to X number of any weapons regardless of size or type?
8%
3) A pseudo-weight system where weapons take up X amount of space depending on weapon size. Pistols take up little space, but rifles and launchers take up a lot more space, etc.
50%

Total votes : 12

Scavver's Paradise V1.0 A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Scavver's Paradise
A High Difficulty Gameplay Mod

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 15/1/21)

Video:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Summary:

Scavver's Paradise pits the player in the shoes of an average person trying to survive in post-apocalyptic Earth. You are not a big, meaty action hero capable of fending off the legions of the damned. You are but a mere mortal, pitted against insurmountable odds, and the odds are against your favor. Currently the mod is in its beta phase. More features will come in future updates. I'm releasing it now so that I can get feedback from the public to help me sculpt this into something that is overall more enjoyable!

Gameplay in Scavver's Paradise is a bit slower. The player is slowed down a notable amount, though this shouldn't result in failing speed challenges and breaking maps. You also cannot carry ten thousand pounds worth of weapons and equipment. You'll have to carefully plan your loadouts since you can only carry two of each type of weapon, no more. Resources are also scarce, with the equipment you need to survive often being found damaged, broken, or simply empty, devoid of contents. You'll be hurting for resources, but as long as you handle encounters wisely, manage your resources carefully, and aren't afraid to break out a machete or a sledgehammer, you should be fine on most maps.

Weapons and enemy attacks all deal a variety of damage types. Not all damage types are equal, and certain weapons are less effective against certain enemies. This is also reflected in armor, as each armor fares differently against damage. Police vests, for example, are mighty decent against small caliber weapons, melee weapons, and are especially handy at negating the insane damage shotguns dish out, but they may not handle fire too terribly well. Conversely, the armored fire suit is incredible for protecting the wearer against any sources of heat, particularly fire, but it's not too shabby against plasma and laser weapons either. Different enemies fare differently against different damage types. All zombies are extra weak to fire, but most demons are resistant (but not immune) to fire. BFG weapons destabilize living matter, meaning most fleshy enemies, but robotic enemies and bony enemies are more resistant to BFG damage. Notably, any zombie wielding guns also wear some degree of armor, with zombieman-class gunners wearing the weakest armor available, shotgunguy-class gunners wearing light ballistic vests, and chaingunguy-class gunners wearing heftier ballistic vests.

There is also a greater number of melee-only enemies, with melee variants affecting Zombieman, Shotgunguy, Doomimp, Revenant, and Hellknight spawns. In theory, this would make things easier, but not so much when ammo is rare. Sometimes it ain't a bad idea to pull out your favorite bludgeon and go to town on these melee variants, so long as you don't get clawed, sliced, whacked, and beaten to death yourself.

Weapons are split up into 7 classes. They are as such:

Melee: Handheld close combat weapons, often improvised tools. Very handy for conserving ammo.
Sidearms: One-handed compact weapons, often chambered in small caliber rounds. Useful for knocking out groups of weaker enemies.
Small arms: Compact two-handed firearms, much lighter than other firearms, but not quite as light as pistols. These include sawed-off shotguns, submachine guns, and others.
Long arms: Large two-handed firearms, ranging from full sized shotguns to rifles to automatic sniper rifles.
Special: Situational weapons you would normally use in certain situations. These include machine guns and most non-BFG energy weapons.
Heavy: Heavy weapons that are significantly larger than any other weapon. Includes grenade/rocket launchers and all BFG-class weaponry.
Thrown: Small handheld explosive devices.

Most of my testing has been done in singleplayer, though this mod is fully doable in multiplayer as long as you and your partner(s) cooperate and split resources evenly.

Scenario:

Its the year 2208, and demons have been ravaging the planet for the last fourteen years. The UAC had been experimenting with teleporter technology, and by a freak accident they accidentally opened portals to another dimension where horrific monstrosities began invading their research bases on Phobos and Deimos. On the Phobos base there was a lone marine, awaiting his court martial for assaulting his CO, who was destined to fight back against this demonic threat and become the legendary Doom Slayer.

Problem is, he never made it back to Earth. Could have had his throat torn out by a giant brown spiny thing. Might have had a hole blasted in him by a shotgun-wielding zombie. Dude might have just fell in a pit of acid and melted away. The details are forgotten to time, but the destined hero never came, and mankind was thusly doomed to inevitable extinction. The demons found their way to Earth and started slaughtering people en masse. Where mankind was once 10 billion strong, there now remain a few hundred million survivors left on Earth. Resources are dwindling as the survivors use up whatever they can to stay alive for just one day longer. Medical supplies are a rarity. Weapons are failing, often being found broken and dysfunctional. The very world itself is changing, being mutated by the mere presence of demons. Earth will likely never recover.

You are one of these last remaining humans. You're not a trained soldier, you're not a destined super hero meant to save mankind from the demon threat. You're just a mere person, soft and squishy and longing for normalcy. You mind is sharp, your reflexes quick, and you're incredibly resourceful, but your body is simply human, and can't take a lot of punishment. You'll have to take things slowly, carefully plan your attacks out, and learn how to manage your resources effectively in order to survive til dawn. You'll do even better if you can find other survivors to scavenge for supplies with you.

Gameplay Changes:

=> Enemies are tougher and more varied. Where you might find a lightning-belching cacodemon, you may instead find a plasma gas spewing cacolich, or perhaps even the tankier abaddon. Where a rifle zombie might have spawned you'll instead find a wide variety of flesh-hungry zombies wielding all sorts of weaponry. Enemy damage has been buffed as well, with projectile damages being less varied, and hitscan attacks being equal in damage to your own weaponry.
=> Weaponry! 57 different weapons are available for use, ranging from the humble lead pipe, to the uncontrollable .22 SMG, to the beefy 20mm auto cannon, and a good variety of energy weapons as well!
=> Magazine-based reload system: Instead of magically yeeting bullets into your gun from an undefined pool of bullets, you've got magazines holding bullets. Reload a partially spent magazine and those bullets are lost.
=> Complex Damage System: Different attacks deal different types of damage, each having their benefits and drawbacks. Eg: Blunt attacks aren't effective against armor, but can easily stun enemies from the pain induced. Blaster-type weapons aren't strong overall, but are extra damaging to fleshy demons for reasons unknown.
=> Varied armors: 9 different types of armor to pickup, each with different stats and uses, ranging from a simple jacket with kevlar woven into it to advanced military combat armor.
=> Scarcity: Weaponry, ammunition, health supplies, etc. have a chance to be replaced with an empty, unusable version of itself, forcing the player to more intelligently plan out their battles. To make up for this scarcity, health pickups are much more effective, and weapons dish out serious amounts of damage.
=> Varied Medical Equipment: Rather than just hoovering points of health from pickups right into your hurty holes, you get to carry bandages, sitmpaks, blood packs, and other supplies to give you the edge in nasty situations. A fully stocked medikit, for example, contains enough equipment for 150 points of total healing and a bottle of pain killers for temporary damage resistance.
=> Weapon Slot System: Players can only carry 2 of any class of weapon, forcing players to have to think intelligently about what gear to take with them.
=> Multiple Loadouts: Ten different loadouts with unique player skins and different weapons and gear that you start with. If you want you can even spawn with nothing but a PDA and your bare hands!
=> Ingame Encyclopedia: Each loadout spawns with a PDA filled with helpful information about your weaponry, your gear, and general information about your adversaries, among other bits of handy info.
=> Lore: 40 data logs can be found throughout playthroughs providing details about the world at large, ranging from stories from other survivors to happenings during the beginning of the apocalypse. This lore is entirely optional and does not inherently disrupt the flow of gameplay unless you're willing to sit down and read these logs.
=> Equipment: In place of backpacks, invisibility spheres, and infrared pickups, various bits of equipment are available to help the player out. Temporary bits of equipment include chaingun turrets, packs of sawblade-wielding razor drones, and more, while more permanent upgrades including nanoweave armor to wear under other bits of armor, powered greaves, and reinforced boots are available as well.

Known Issues:

=> The player can unload a weapon completely, drop it on the ground, and scrap it for free ammo. Not exactly sure how in the hell I can fix this.
=> I gave a quick look at SBARINFO stuff to figure out how to display secondary ammo types, but couldn't wrap my head around it. As such weapons that have secondary functions such as the shotgun attachment for the Chinese assault rifle don't display the secondary ammo.

Planned Features and Other Such Things:

=> Potentially might eventually release this with a slew of magic-based weaponry! Maybe, right now I'm kinda sick of coding lol.
=> Possibly the inclusion of a secondary weapon limiter system, with the ability to swap between the two being baked in. This will come as soon as I can figure out how the hell to manage that.

Recommended Mods:

Droplets) Great looking blood and gore mod.
Immerse) Lovely camera mod that just looks and feels damn nice. Also includes a lean feature that helps players shoot from cover.
DarkDoomZ) If nothing else, grab this so you can use that sweet, sweet flashlight.
Use to Pickup) Overall a great looking mod that functions damn well, but is also incredibly useful as a workaround for having to stand still to drop weapons.
Gearbox) A combination of a snazzy weapon wheel for new Doom fans, as well as a weapon selector bar for the Half-Life fans! Even with the weapon limiters you're able to hold upwards of 12 weapons plus your fists, so this is handy for folks who need that extra organization.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:

Many of the resources used in the mod are from other sources. Included in the .PK3 file is a credits list that I have done my god damndest to keep up to date. If I've forgotten to add something please let me know!

Special mention to Nash Muhandes for his awesome PDA starter kit mod, without which I'd have to force people to read the unnecessarily long manual included in the .PK3 file.

Also special shoutout to Jarewill for his elegant ACS script for the weapon limiter system which was a real saving grace for the mod, as otherwise you'd be juggling over 50 fuggin guns jaysus
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 30 times in total.
CaptainNurbles

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7 Beta: A Difficult Gameplay Mod

Postby Linz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Ok but where's the screenshots though
Linz

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Congrats on the release! Always good to see survival horror mods. Other than that, it won't work in LZDoom.

Also, the "5mmBoltRifle" has some of my works in there too, specially in the scope. The original edits can be found in Lowtech Remake and Aracnocide, while the original centered sprite was made by chronoteeth.

;)
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby CaptainNurbles » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Linz wrote:Ok but where's the screenshots though

Done! Completely slipped my mind, thank ya for reminding me mate.

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Other than that, it won't work in LZDoom.

Also, the "5mmBoltRifle" has some of my works in there too, specially in the scope. The original edits can be found in Lowtech Remake and Aracnocide, while the original centered sprite was made by chronoteeth.

;)

I've barely messed with LZDoom myself, having only used it back when I had a low powered Ubuntu laptop. What's the error in question? I'd test it right now but I'm unable to right this minute.

As for the uncredited credits, just got that taken care of, your name's now in the credit list.

EDIT:

Taking a look at how it works with LZDoom, and it looks like it's the PDA that's buggering things up, specifically the lil' tutorial message that optionally can appear if desired from the modder. I removed the offending code and it's fixed the LZDoom crashing without having any affect on gameplay. I'll be sure to upload a patch some time that also includes other things.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.3 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 pm

A new UPDATE is out! Not much in terms of new content, but some quality of life stuff has been added, plus a bit of balancing as well. Please be sure to give me your feedback so I can shape this mod into something worth playing!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 5/1/21)

0.7.3 Beta: Powerups! Uploaded 5/1/21

* Magnum zombie is more likely to wield .45 pistol instead of .357 magnum (Increased from 1/8 chance to ~1/5 chance)
* Zombified PDW soldier is now guaranteed to drop 4.6mm magazine on death. 4.6mm mags are hard as hell to find, so this should help to make the PDW more useful.
* A PDA-related bug that caused the mod to crash when launched in LZDoom was fixed
* NPC armors have been swapped. Zombieman-class zombies wielding pistols now sport the ballistic-weave jacket, shotgunguy-class gunner zombies wear police vests, and chaingunguy-class zombies wear security armor. THIS IS POSSIBLY TEMPORARY, MERELY A TEST TO SEE HOW THE COMBAT FEELS WITH SUCH INCREASED DIFFICULTY. IF THIS IS NOT FUN BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW.
* Backpack was fixed to give recently added ammo types, and now has a chance to give rare ammo types (8mm sniper, 5.56mm LMG, 4.6mm SMG, 7.62mm rifle) in lieu of energy cells.
* Infrared now has a chance to be replaced with a reusable set of nightvision goggles. I'd like this to have a recharging battery but I haven't yet figured out a way to make it charge itself.
* BlurSphere now has a chance to be replaced with a reusable stealth suit that grants temporary invisibility.
* Dead armor repairer batteries have now been made to flip on their side, that way they are more visibly identifiable as dead as opposed to the live ones which stand up.
* RadSuits are now replaced with a wearable version of itself. Lasts as long as you've got it on and can be removed as needed, but reduces speed when worn.
* 9mm rifle's fire rate and reload speed have been reduced.
* Blood fiend's attack speed and damage have been reduced
* ComputerAreaMap has been replaced with a PDA that functions identically but looks like a PDA with a custom pickup message and tag.
* Beam revenant's beam was weakened significantly. Kinda forgot to apply CBAF_NORANDOM to make it not deal shit tons of damage.
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:19 am

I'm not sure how to feel about the pistols. I'm fine with the armor values and such, but I feel like in terms of gameplay you end up just burning through a lot of pistol ammo on basic enemies. Overall I think I'd rather have less ammo in general, but more effective damage so it's more choosing between using guns and melee while saving the rifles and such for bigger enemies. Right now it feels like I'm just swapping through a bunch of different handguns using up all the shots and then deciding to use my blunt pipe because it's more effective. It might be me not using the damage types correctly too, though.
-Ghost-

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:16 am

Great! I will test this with LZDoom as soon as i get home!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:59 am

-Ghost- wrote:I'm not sure how to feel about the pistols. I'm fine with the armor values and such, but I feel like in terms of gameplay you end up just burning through a lot of pistol ammo on basic enemies. Overall I think I'd rather have less ammo in general, but more effective damage so it's more choosing between using guns and melee while saving the rifles and such for bigger enemies. Right now it feels like I'm just swapping through a bunch of different handguns using up all the shots and then deciding to use my blunt pipe because it's more effective. It might be me not using the damage types correctly too, though.

I tend to do fine with the pistols with my playstyle, though I personally tend to save them for groups of zombies and the occasional imp, myself. I doubt its not you using the damage types incorrectly since small caliber weapons will still fare decently against zombies wearing the ballistic weave jackets and somewhat adequately against the police vests. I'll toy around with the damage values some, first by normalizing the damages themselves to have less variation since it is a bit annoying that a gun can do anywhere between 7 damage and 21 damage, just as an example. If that doesn't change things much I'll play with buffing the pistols up on top of that.

Thank you for the feedback though!
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V 0.7.4 Beta: A Survival Horror Mod

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:11 pm

New quick update to fix some pressing things!

Weapon damages have been normalized to have less variation in damage. Overall, guns are more damaging. As an example, the 6.2mm combat rifle used to deal either 15, 20, 25, or 30 damage per shot. Now it deals anywhere between 20 to 30 damage. All ballistic firearms have been affected. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO ZOMBIES. Also includes various fixes.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 5/1/21)

0.7.4 Beta: Damage! Uploaded 6/1/21

* 5.45mm Bullpup Sniper was made less accurate, a fair tradeoff IMO since it uses a common ammo and has a MASSIVE FUGGIN MAGAZINE.
* Weapon damage across the board has been normalized some. Less overall damage variation. Weapons will overall deal more damage. Weapons on slots 5, 6, 7 unmodified. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO ZOMBIES.
* Updated the Basic Advice log to explain why the hell the .22 pistol sometimes just doesn't fire.
* Berserk injector was increased slightly in size.
* Stealth Suit was changed to a cloaking device. Same functionality, just different appearance. Feels better to have it be a device you carry rather than a whole suit you wear on top of your armor.
* 10mm pistol zombie has had his burst attack slowed down.
* 20 gauge auto shotgun was made less accurate.
* 12 gauge double shotgun's alt fire sequence had its accuracy fixed (the left barrel fired much less accurately before.)
* Crossbow bolt damage was buffed and projectile was made smaller to prevent shot from being stopped by walls it should otherwise not even touch.
* Female rifle zombie's burst was lengthened (4 shot burst rather than 3 shot) but she takes longer to aim.
* .357 lever rifle's been fixed to do the proper damage type (how in the hell did I forget to change the damage type from pellet to large caliber?) Also had its damage randomization fixed.
* 5.56mm LMG was buffed and had its damage type fixed (it should now penetrate armor properly.)
* PDW zombie fires 4 shot bursts rather than 3 shot.
* 8.6mm sniper rifle had its scoped damage fixed (used to be weaker when zoomed, how'd I forget that?)
* .45 magnum zombie is now guaranteed to drop a magazine on death.
* New rocket ammo sprite.
* Fixed an issue where certain zombies weapons had a range of 0.
* RadSuit is now properly replaced with the new HEV suit.
* Map PDA has been fixed to properly spawn. Also gives 1 random PDA log on pickup, written so that it gives you a document you've yet to pickup on that save.
CaptainNurbles

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Yeah that might actually be it if the damage variance is that high. Having it more set by the caliber would probably help it feel more consistent. I think making the guns a little more visually distinctive might help too, since there's the revolver, then a bunch that look almost the same other than the high capacity one.
-Ghost-

Postby That0neBr075 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Excellent gameplay mod! The guns feel nice and punchy, the monsters fit well, and overall the mix of resource management and having to cut down zombies with an axe is pretty enjoyable. Only real suggestion I have is maybe an integrated flashlight, but besides that, major props!
That0neBr075

Postby CaptainNurbles » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:22 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah that might actually be it if the damage variance is that high. Having it more set by the caliber would probably help it feel more consistent. I think making the guns a little more visually distinctive might help too, since there's the revolver, then a bunch that look almost the same other than the high capacity one.

I was going to say that the guns feel distinctive enough to me, but that's probably because I've gotten intimately familiar with them in the 2 months it's taken me to make this mod lol. Not sure how I could go about making them more distinct between one another besides doing up new sprites, but I've tried making sprites from scratch before, it looks awful.

That0neBr075 wrote:Excellent gameplay mod! The guns feel nice and punchy, the monsters fit well, and overall the mix of resource management and having to cut down zombies with an axe is pretty enjoyable. Only real suggestion I have is maybe an integrated flashlight, but besides that, major props!

Thank you, man! I can't say that I've got the technical knowhow to integrate a flashlight into the mod (TRUST ME I'D LOVE TO,) hence why I've thrown in a link to DarkDoomZ since it does come with a fantastic flashlight. Plus the whole darkness thing can be turned off entirely with it.
CaptainNurbles

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:33 pm

From the quick run i had, i can honestly say the sound department has a warm blanket on the back. Excellent punchyness for the sounds. But i would need to play it further to discover bugs and anything else. Keep it coming, i am really liking it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Pistols are feeling better now!

I have noticed I've been having trouble dropping stuff though. It's been dropping it on top me so I just pick the weapon right back up again.
-Ghost-

Postby Wivicer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:34 am

I'm just dropping in to say this is great, but it's even better with the use-to-pickup mod loaded alongside of it.
Wivicer

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods