Gears of Hell

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Gears of Hell

Postby Imp Hunter » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Gears of Hell is/was a randomizer weapons/monsters mod that I worked when I was younger together with Lolo_is_Cool and Thiny93 as a tribute to my favorite mod "Aeons of Death". For today standards, and even back in the day, this mod is pretty convoluted and full of resource rips. For the last year of so, I've been trying to flatten it out and make it a little more cohesive (unsucessfully). Still, I have a lot of love for this mod because it was kinda of my gateway to coding, which is very important to me now as I'm coding in Python and Matlab IRL for my academic career. So, I wanted to give this mod his last run and polish a little bit before move on to a new Doom project that I have for 2021.

As I said, this mod is full of resources that I may have not properly credited or contacted the authors when I was younger, so please, if you see anything here that is yours and it is not properly credited, or you don't want it to be used here, contact me so I can remove it.

Also, there is a "pistol start" option in the menu now. You might turn it off or on depending of your intentions.

Nuff' said here are the info:
Spoiler:

A changelog of what was made during those years
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Download
Last edited by Imp Hunter on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Re: Gears of Hell

Postby Ribo Zurai » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

Whoa! I remember this mod from really way back. It's nice to see it return.
Ribo Zurai

Postby cs89 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:31 am

I didn't know there was a mod inspired by AEoD. :o
I loaded the mod in GzDoom 4.4.2, went through the first 2 map of Doom 2 and It's well made for an almost 12 years old mod. :)
cs89

Postby Imp Hunter » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 am

Ribo Zurai wrote:Whoa! I remember this mod from really way back. It's nice to see it return.

Thank you! I hope I can bring more projects to the Doom scene from now on. Keep an eye out for the next year!

cs89 wrote:I didn't know there was a mod inspired by AEoD. :o
I loaded the mod in GzDoom 4.4.2, went through the first 2 map of Doom 2 and It's well made for an almost 12 years old mod. :)

Thank you! It's kinda of a mess IMO, but it's playable at least. Please send me any feedback about bugs, suggestions, etc if you can!
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Facínora » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Wow. I just remembered I made a video about Gears of Hell a while ago (Ribo recommended the mod). I'm glad you updated it.
Facínora

Discord: Facínora#4014
Twitch ID: facinoragr

Postby Imp Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Facínora wrote:Wow. I just remembered I made a video about Gears of Hell a while ago (Ribo recommended the mod). I'm glad you updated it.

That video was pretty much one of my motivators to get back to Gears of Hell (and Decorate in general). I am very thankful for your review!
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Linz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Legit though this was gonna be a Gears of War in Doom thing for some reason,heh
Linz

Postby Facínora » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Imp Hunter wrote:
Facínora wrote:Wow. I just remembered I made a video about Gears of Hell a while ago (Ribo recommended the mod). I'm glad you updated it.

That video was pretty much one of my motivators to get back to Gears of Hell (and Decorate in general). I am very thankful for your review!

that made my day.
Facínora

Discord: Facínora#4014
Twitch ID: facinoragr

Postby Imp Hunter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:11 pm

A little teaser for what is coming in the next update:

Spoiler:
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Imp Hunter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Gears of Hell, version 1.2

From this version onwards, there is a weapon limit system in this mod! The player has a limit of 6 weapons, excluding your fists and grenades (this limit can be increased or decreased on Gears of Hell Options menu) and they might drop weapons to get more weapons as their inventory gets full. To drop weapons, you must keybind a new "drop weapon" key exclusive to this mod. (Options > Gears of Hell Options > Gears of Hell Controls)

Besides that, there are lots of changes like new weapons, monsters, bugfixes, etc.

The download link is in the first post!
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Misery » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:39 pm

So you made it work out. Congrats.
Misery

Postby Imp Hunter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:22 pm

Misery wrote:So you made it work out. Congrats.

Thank you! it wouldn't be possible without you, my dude! Also, you just reminded me to update the credits in the post.
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Misery » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Ah, don't fret it. I really didn't do much of anything. But I'm glad it worked out. It'll be more fun to check it out when you're finished.
Misery

Postby Imp Hunter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:56 am

Gears of Hell 1.2.1 hotfix

• fixed NeoRocketLauncher not spawning properly
  • fixed DispersionRocketLauncher not using both ammo properly
  • moved AlienCannon to PlasmaRifle tier
  • moved DispersionRocketLauncher to BFG tier
  • Dalek's corpse doesn't hang around anymore
  • fixed PatronWizard
  • player's movement slowing down below 25hp is now a cvar
  • nerfed RailgunnerEX and MiniBattlelord
  • dalek moved to arachnotron spawner
  • tweaked PKShotgun
  • new spawner for the blursphere
  • fixed arachnotrons not triggering special map exits (MAP07 etc.)
  • autodetectmine might appear on rockets and rocketboxes spawners

As always, the link is in the first post.
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Return to Gameplay Mods