ShadowCaster and other fantasy monsters for Heretic

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BFG

ShadowCaster and other fantasy monsters for Heretic

Post by BFG »

This is just a simple mod that randomizes ShadowCaster monsters into Heretic.
Each enemy placement in Heretic has been replaced with a randomspawner.
There is forty-four or so added monsters in total.
I am a big fan of ShadowCaster and the Raven Software style sprites are so visually similar to Heretic that I think they fit.
I tried to find other mods that used the sprites and there were only a few here and there and not the entire bestiary.

There is also optional files for HeXen, Witchaven and Dungeons & Dragons: Slayer/Deathkeep monsters, as well as additional files to work with Wrath of Cronos RPG and Brutal Heretic RPG.
Spoiler: Downloads and instructions
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Changelog
Attachments
Example image
Example image
Last edited by BFG on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:11 am, edited 13 times in total.
BFG

Re: ShadowCaster monsters for Heretic

Post by BFG »

Update: This version includes Advanced Dungeons&Dragons monsters (Slayer & Deathkeep)
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Last edited by BFG on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Hmm, I like this, it's the first monsters-only Heretic mod that I've seen so far (atleast that I've noticed), decided to play it with Wrath of Chronos Lite for Heretic, works pretty fine, thought I have some critiques if you don't mind me putting my opinion, I think some of the monster deaths kinda just go "poof", it would be nice if there was like a "generic gib sprite" to show on monster death, so they don't go just "poof", but that's just my opinion

EDIT: I just played a bit with the "only ShadowCaster + Heretic" version and WoC, I say I like it more personally, and I think all the monsters have actual death frames in that one, it's pretty cool! I wish it had Hexen monsters thought, but it's a great monster mod so far I think
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Wow, I didn't even knew that those DnD 3d shooters existed. Do you have access to all their graphics?
BFG

Post by BFG »

Craneo wrote:Hmm, I like this, it's the first monsters-only Heretic mod that I've seen so far (atleast that I've noticed).
Thank you, I tried to make them in the same style as their original game where they vanish on death but I will make death animations for them. I will add in the Hexen guys for the next update. I wasn't aware of Wrath of Cronos, is there anything that I could to do make it more compatible with that? I made a Brutal Heretic RPG version.
neoworm wrote:Wow, I didn't even knew that those DnD 3d shooters existed. Do you have access to all their graphics?
They can be found over here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37442 and viewtopic.php?t=37544
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

finally seeing the mod using all the shadowcaster sprites, it seems all the enemies have additional attack rotations as well!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Captain J wrote:it seems all the enemies have additional attack rotations as well!
Nope, they just get their movement rotations used as attack rotations. Look at the cloaks for a blatant example, since their shape completely changes when they attack.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Wow, I looked at the Shadowcaster sprites and the Baboon is obviously recolored betaversion baby ripper from Shadow Warrior and Boblin is Beta Guardian from Shadow warrior. Those are from Shadowcaster?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Most definitely not.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Do you mind if I donate some new death frame edits for your project?
credits to Raven Software as I used some other Shadow Caster death frames to make these as well as Heretic ones too.
They are not that great but I feel your project may benefit from these, I'd like to make more if my PC doesn't die from the constant crashing I've been having this week.
Valken

Post by Valken »

This would be awesome as an ADDON to IronTusks?!

Can I ask for a Doom compatible version, or (don't castrate me) Brutal Doom/Project Brutality ADDON version that keeps default mod doom version monsters as well?

OR can we make a patch the creates a new spawner (?) with other mods + this mod's monsters? I am unsure how to go about this.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Gez wrote:
Captain J wrote:it seems all the enemies have additional attack rotations as well!
Nope, they just get their movement rotations used as attack rotations. Look at the cloaks for a blatant example, since their shape completely changes when they attack.
I did notice that but hey, let's just give kudos for trying to make a full rotation of them. Low effort or not, it looks very promising.

Anyways contribution like what Craneo did might be worth it!
BFG

Post by BFG »

Those are awesome, I have added them and provided your credit. I would love to make additional rotation sprites for the SC monsters, perhaps that is something in the future!
I have updated the download link with the ideas that you have given me, which I thank you all for. I removed those Alpha Shadow Warrior monsters, they were only there originally as I didn't know which monsters to put in the ghost spawners.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Valken wrote:This would be awesome as an ADDON to IronTusks?!

Can I ask for a Doom compatible version, or (don't castrate me) Brutal Doom/Project Brutality ADDON version that keeps default mod doom version monsters as well?

OR can we make a patch the creates a new spawner (?) with other mods + this mod's monsters? I am unsure how to go about this.
I have looked into the script, and BFG's mod can be adapted to Diablo 3D.
BFG

Re: ShadowCaster and other fantasy monsters for Heretic

Post by BFG »

I appreciate you for letting me know, Iron.

Updated the file with a few fixes, but most importantly I changed the painchance for the Centaurs/Slaughtaurs in the HX version, so they are more of a blessing to encounter and not be so quick to block attacks each time. I think that is one of the biggest complaints of those guys is their blocking becomes a chore to deal with.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”