[WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre5 [BURNING MELEE!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

[WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre5 [BURNING MELEE!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

(credit for the font goes to Jimmy)

Gear up, Legionnaire. Hey, it's almost finished - just got some odds and ends left. Last updated 6/19/2022.

Motion blur-less patch! Currently about half-finished - this will be updated as progress continues on restoring the "Crisp" sprites for newer weapons. Load AFTER RG_Malice.pk3; it is a sprites-only set. Last updated 6/19/2022.

Also, this ZMovement patch. Load AFTER RG_Malice.pk3. ZMovement 3.2.1.pk3 is not required, per the ZMovement thread:
Ivory Duke wrote:Mod patches are standalone and do not require ZMovement to be loaded together.
THANK YOU MY MAN IVORY

This is a project I started midway through working on The Trooper after becoming aware of how nightmarish its feature bloat and workload had become. Hence, I began porting the Infinity Legion weapons over to this new mod - originally intended as a basic weapons-only mod with simplified versions of the N7 Battle Rifle and N8 Sniper Rifle, it quickly became a testbed for movement mechanics (one of which made their way to The Trooper before I put it on hiatus) and animation concepts. As of now, it nears completion - featuring enhanced multi-jumps, a primitive thruster system, and dashing/sprinting animations for non-pistol weapons at the cost of "normal" mobility, Malice provides a brand-new movement scheme, relying on an active sprint system (i.e., the "sprint" key must be held down) to change the flow of combat - however, there is also an Auto-Sprint setting in Options that allows you to sidestep this, much like the Always Run setting. Unlike The Trooper, the weapons in this mod are few in number - intended to replace the standard Doom arsenal with weapons that fulfill the same roles with no superfluous extras and relatively little common use between them.

Take a look at this nonsense:

Behold, Quick Draw:

So, this allows you to fire off a blast from the Trinity SSG at pretty much any time! Hold the Fire key down for repeated shots, or hold Reload to, well, reload the gun before switching back to your main weapon (holding down Fire long enough to trigger the reload sequence, but not long enough to fire the gun again, also works). To use the Quick Draw ability, bind a key to the "User 8/Quick Draw" function.

Most recent gameplay video - June 11, 2021:

Older gameplay videos:
Spoiler:
The features:
Spoiler:
Some tips that will help you start out (this is mainly preparing for release)
Spoiler:
The arsenal (so far):
Update 4/29/2021:
Spoiler:
The "story":
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
I'm sure I missed so many people - if you notice something of yours, or someone else's, that's not on this list, please let me know!

To-do before version 1.0:
Spoiler:
Anyway...welcome to Malice.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:45 am, edited 101 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [WIP] Malice

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

SWEET! It's been a long time, but it'll be worrh the wait for another mod of yours. Can't wait for the release.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

So not only are we going to have Malice for Quake, but Malice for Doom too! ;)
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

StroggVorbis wrote:So not only are we going to have Malice for Quake, but Malice for Doom too! ;)
Shit, I thought that name wasn't taken. Anyway, gotta add some things I forgot to put in the opening post, mainly regarding the nature of the mod (it's a weapons-only mod).
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

The other Malice was a commercial product released in 1997, donut worry 😅
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

TheRailgunner wrote:Shit, I thought that name wasn't taken.
Yeah, about that...
Spoiler:
This, on the other hand, is a monster-only mod.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks very impressive, powerful yet efficiently simpler than your other gameplay mod. I hardly can wait for this!
berry

Post by berry »

I would play this mod and make a Russian translation :cheers:
SeriousWeasle

Post by SeriousWeasle »

Looks like a very interesting mod, can't wait to play it!
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

I think the same as anyone here .. Awesome . can't wait to play it ..
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, something I'm hoping I can get permission for is compiling a "recommended mod list" that packs a choice few mods - stuff like Target Spy, Immerse, Critical Shots, and the like - into a single, convenient package as an option for people trying out Malice.

In the mean time, I'm gonna see if my computer can survive making a demo video while I figure out the remaining weapons and do some further polishing.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Been working on a concept - Auto-sprint, the basic idea being a CVAR for players who don't want to hold down Shift to sprint. This essentially functions as Malice's equivalent of the "Always Run" setting, though at present I can't figure out how to make it aware of whether the player is running or walking (this would allow cl_run to be functional again - at the moment, "Always Run" has to be set for the sprinting system to work).

Still not satisfied with the BFG replacement - might replace it with a Cosmic Force Generator or something.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

This reminds me of Project MSX, can't wait to try it!
AstartesCitizen
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AstartesCitizen »

Just recently replayed the trooper, I am glad that there is another mod with the same theme in the works but less complicated my main gripe with the tropper was its altfire system, sometimes I did felt overwhelm by many weapons types dont get me wrong I loved the weapons the spritework is amazing and very fun to shoot, so if we are getting a more lets say "compact" weapons mod but with the similar vibe of the original thing then cant wait for it, the screenshots already got my interest.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] Malice - Weapons Showcase Video

Post by TheRailgunner »

Finally feel like I've made enough progress to show this off:

Pretty straightforward - all of the weapons and their various features (forgot to do the "wide spread" for the N10). Oh, and some pretty CFG fireballs.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”