[Release 1.7g] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Release 1.7g] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:36 pm


Hello everyone, this is really my first project post here, so I hope I will get everything alright.

I want to present to you Lost Frontier.
In short, Lost Frontier started both as a heavily-inspired "realism" mod for Doom and as me testing how well I can use ACS mixed with DECORATE to make a mod.
However, with time I decided to rewrite the entire mod in ZScript, which ended up being a good learning experience for me.
I also decided to make it a Strife mod this time, because Strife needs more mods.
Spoiler: Some backstory

So after some time, I got it to a state that I can call "1.0 release" and after getting the blessing of Dr_Cosmobyte of Nightshift and Matt of Hideous Destructor, I am ready to release this mod to the public!
Enjoy!


[Download]
Tested to work on GZDoom v4.4.2 and LZDoom v3.86a.
New versions might break old save files. Update with caution!
Included are two patches, one designed for sabord.wad (Absolute Order) which adds a weapon smith to the firing range. And the other spawns a new merchant on maps with secret areas that functions as all 4 shopkeeps. Useful on custom maps. (Spawning code done by Accensus)
As a bonus, I have also included the old Doom version and Lost Weaponry, a prequel of sorts to this mod.
Spoiler: Changelog



Spoiler: Help



Spoiler: Videos



Spoiler: Credits


Any feedback and/or bug reports will be highly appreciated.
I've managed to seize the Castle when play testing, before changing something in ACS and making my save no longer compatible. :lol:
So I can at least confirm that this mod is at least semi-playable with enough trial and error. :D

Now with this mod done, I can start working on rewriting my other mod I planned to release in ZScript.
Currently it's done DECORATE code-wise, but it's just lacking the sprites and I don't want to keep pestering my friend about them.
When they will be done, I'll be glad to finally release that mod too, but I'll be able to at least make it better, now that this is done. :D

Fight for the Front and have fun!
Last edited by Jarewill on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 am, edited 29 times in total.
Jarewill
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2019

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby JuliusKoolius » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 pm

Hey I keep getting this when I try to load it up:

jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript/items/powerups.zs, line 78: Attempt to override non-existent virtual function AbsorbDamage
jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript/items/powerups.zs, line 540: Attempt to override non-existent virtual function AbsorbDamage

Execution could not continue.

2 errors, 0 warnings while compiling jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript.zs
User avatar
JuliusKoolius
But... Why?
 
Joined: 07 Apr 2020
Location: Even I don't know

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:26 pm

A STRIFE MOD???

Man, although my favorite Doom-licensed game is Hexen, i definitely think Strife needs some love. I also posted another idea for Strife back some pages in the same thread!

In any case, as soon as i get my PC back, i will give this baby a ride. Fight for the front!
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992
 
Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Captain J » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:47 pm

JuliusKoolius wrote:Hey I keep getting this when I try to load it up:

jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript/items/powerups.zs, line 78: Attempt to override non-existent virtual function AbsorbDamage
jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript/items/powerups.zs, line 540: Attempt to override non-existent virtual function AbsorbDamage

Execution could not continue.

2 errors, 0 warnings while compiling jw_LostFrontier_Strife.pk3:zscript.zs
Maybe update your GZDoom? The current version is v4.4.2.

So the strife mod itself is quite fine and normal. But it feels like the black acolytes in the beginning got a lot of debuffs, unnecessarily. But much appreciated!
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby JuliusKoolius » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:14 am

Yeah, it works now, thanks Captain J! and the mod is pretty good, but I do agree with Captain J here, the Black Acolytes seem too weak
User avatar
JuliusKoolius
But... Why?
 
Joined: 07 Apr 2020
Location: Even I don't know

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 am

JuliusKoolius wrote:Hey I keep getting this when I try to load it up:

Sorry, I forgot to add to the OP that it needs the newest GZDoom version like Captain J said.

Captain J wrote:So the strife mod itself is quite fine and normal. But it feels like the black acolytes in the beginning got a lot of debuffs, unnecessarily. But much appreciated!

How exactly are they weakened? Because when they start firing, the player will be quickly dead.
Is it about stunning with the dagger? I decided to make it like that so the player has chances of getting out of the beginning area and the original strife also did that.
Think of the acolytes as not that capable in close quarters, but deadly at a distance. And they really are deadly there. :lol:
The problem starts to show when playing on higher difficulties though, where there are two acolytes at once.
Still, if you got any ideas on how I could improve them, I'd love to hear them!
Jarewill
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2019

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Blue Shadow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:50 am

Jarewill wrote:Sorry, I forgot to add to the OP that it needs the newest GZDoom version like Captain J said.

I suggest that you use versioning, so the player gets a more meaningful message if they're using an old version of the engine.
User avatar
Blue Shadow
 
Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:14 am

Blue Shadow wrote:I suggest that you use versioning, so the player gets a more meaningful message if they're using an old version of the engine.

Okay, thanks a lot Blue Shadow!
Updated the download with this little change.
Jarewill
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2019

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Captain J » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:36 am

Jarewill wrote:How exactly are they weakened? Because when they start firing, the player will be quickly dead.
Is it about stunning with the dagger? I decided to make it like that so the player has chances of getting out of the beginning area and the original strife also did that.
Think of the acolytes as not that capable in close quarters, but deadly at a distance. And they really are deadly there. :lol:
The problem starts to show when playing on higher difficulties though, where there are two acolytes at once.
Still, if you got any ideas on how I could improve them, I'd love to hear them!
They now have no shield and just simply punch you when you're too close. So i have to say, it's obvious that simple impact from flesh is much weaker than a burst of lightspeed bullet.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby ZikShadow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 am

Been playing this mod, some very good stuff here.

And yeah, I imagine the reason why you could stunlock low level acolytes with the dagger is so that 1 on 1 fights are stacked in your favor. Any more than that and the other cultist'll gun you down while you're busy whittling down the other acolyte. I was completely unable to do the dagger fight on Elite at the start of the game, had to sprint outside backstabbing the door guard while being shot at and acquire the crossbow first before I have any chance at killing the troublemakers.
User avatar
ZikShadow
 
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Location: Could be the chair, the floor, or the bed.

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Techy_koi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am

HDest in Strife sign me up!! Also maybe the spawn has to adjusted but nonetheless it is a great mod, you sir deserve more attention.
Also how did you achieve the FPS-ish body can this be achieve too in HDest and other mods curious on how you did it.
Again great Realism mod to Strife, may good fate be bestowed upon ye!!!
User avatar
Techy_koi
 
Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Discord: Knoqs Knoq0ff™

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 am

Captain J wrote:They now have no shield and just simply punch you when you're too close. So i have to say, it's obvious that simple impact from flesh is much weaker than a burst of lightspeed bullet.

There are still Acolytes with shields, I tried to make every one of the 9 variants at least slightly different. (Another thanks to Lagi for the amazing shieldless sprites)
Yes, both shielded and shieldless variants have melee attacks that are nowhere near as good as their rifles, but at close distances they can't really use their guns effectively.
The melee attack is not meant to be damaging, but rather to knock the enemy back a bit. It's more noticeable with the shield bash.
And after playing up to the castle with the mod, I noticed that such close encounters with Acolytes are rather rare. So they still remain quite a threat, at least after the Sanctuary.
Still, if you have any ideas on how I could improve them, I'd love to hear them!

Techy_koi wrote:Also how did you achieve the FPS-ish body can this be achieve too in HDest and other mods curious on how you did it.

It was rather simple:
Spoiler:

Probably not the best to do it, but I haven't had problems with it so far.

ZikShadow wrote:I was completely unable to do the dagger fight on Elite at the start of the game, had to sprint outside backstabbing the door guard while being shot at and acquire the crossbow first before I have any chance at killing the troublemakers.

Wow! Great job with that!
I expected nothing less from the legendary "no failure run" ZikShadow. :lol:

ZikShadow wrote: Been playing this mod, some very good stuff here.
Techy_koi wrote: Again great Realism mod to Strife, may good fate be bestowed upon ye!!!

Thank you!
Have fun with the mod! :D
Jarewill
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2019

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Captain J » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Jarewill wrote:There are still Acolytes with shields, I tried to make every one of the 9 variants at least slightly different. (Another thanks to Lagi for the amazing shieldless sprites)
Yes, both shielded and shieldless variants have melee attacks that are nowhere near as good as their rifles, but at close distances they can't really use their guns effectively.
The melee attack is not meant to be damaging, but rather to knock the enemy back a bit. It's more noticeable with the shield bash.
And after playing up to the castle with the mod, I noticed that such close encounters with Acolytes are rather rare. So they still remain quite a threat, at least after the Sanctuary.
Still, if you have any ideas on how I could improve them, I'd love to hear them!
Well if you buffed up your stamina, you can kill acolytes in one or two hits with your dagger. So some player might attempt to attack them up close and figure out how defenseless they are in close-ranged combat.

But yeah, they're still a scary snipers. I imagine the things might get worse if they have some kind of bayonet or something.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Somagu » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Actually, the Elite fight isn't as bad as it looks. You don't need to actually kill them, just scare them enough that they run away and heal. It took me a while on my first try, but on any subsequent starts it went much more smoothly.

To which end, I have some feedback for early game:

Control-related muscle memory aside, there's a few things that are bugging me for a proper playthrough. I'll hold back on a long-winded feedback post for now, before I've played for longer, but the biggest thing that comes to mind right now is the early mechanical enemies, combined with how clumsy the crossbow is. Stalkers have a lot of HP. A lot. They're incredibly annoying, but electrical bolts are awkward to use, owing to how small stalkers (and turrets) are, the ?delayed? DoT on the electrical bolt, the parabolic drop, the fact that it fires much lower than the targeting device or muscle memory would have you believe (requiring its own pricey laser sight just to fire with any real accuracy, short of memorizing it), and not least of all how prohibitively heavy they are. Just 6 bolts is 90 some-odd weight, nearly 1/10th of your un-upgraded carry capacity, and you might kill a stalker in 2 of those shots if you're lucky.

Ammo economy in general needs some tweaking, something I'll go over soon, if and when I get the chance. Assault rifle rounds are so common that you'd never even conceivably have to worry about it before the gun starts jamming on you. I haven't look at the internals myself on whatever the jam rate is, but the moment I hit around 70%, I usually can't get off two bursts without a failure to fire, which gets tiresome pretty quickly for me. (That's not an exaggeration, back before HD was zscript mod, I would consistently jam on the first magazine of every ZM I pick up per update. It was tradition at that point.)

That said, I'm enjoying this a lot, and I appreciate the concept and most of the execution of this. Good work! I'll have more feedback soon, hopefully.
User avatar
Somagu
 
Joined: 22 Nov 2013

Re: [Release 1.0] Lost Frontier - a Strife mod

Postby Jarewill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Somagu wrote:Helpful stuff

I got it, Stalkers have been nerfed HP-wise and the bolts have been improved with range and removing the delay from the electric shock.
I don't understand how they are firing lower than the targeter though, as I am sure I kept the 5-unit viewheight-to-attackzoffset difference.
The only thing that comes to mind is that the bolts now fall with gravity, so I made them less subject to it.
I have also decreased the weight of all ammo items by half, hopefully this makes things slightly better now.

As for the ammo economy, I understand that the rifle ammo is incredibly common, not sure what I can do about it though except halving the pickups.
For now I made every pickup give 15 rounds and looted Acolytes dropping half as much, I'll see if that helps or not.
As for the jamming, I have already modified it once when play testing myself, due to how often it jammed.
It's mostly a matter of chance: if current condition is below 75%, it picks a random number between X and max condition and if the number is higher or equal to current condition, it jams.
I already modified the values once and my assault rifle stopped jamming as much, which as it turns out was only because I was lucky. :?

I have modified the function itself this time and after testing a lot. (firing over 2000 rounds from the rifle, then restarting the game to reset my "luck" and firing 1000 more rounds)
I only seemed to jam commonly when the rifle was below 20%. I hope it wasn't just luck this time.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope to hear more soon! :D
For now though, I'll release a quick 1.1 bugfix with the above fixes.
Jarewill
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2019

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brohnesorge, GreenDoomguy1999, PresBarackbar, shino1, Zaratul and 7 guests