[WIP 0.5] Punkwild!(Demon slaying punk girl)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP 0.5] Punkwild!(Demon slaying punk girl)

Postby A.Gamma » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 pm

What is Punkwild?

Punkwild is a gameplay mod heavily inspired by the likes of Demonsteele and Psychic, where you'll take control of Jazz; a tough-as-nails, wise-cracking punk girl who just had enough of demons.

Key features

• High-Speed FPS Action! Jazz is a glass cannon, this means that to survive the demonic onslaught, you'll have to make use of her enhanced mobility and quick weapon switching to turn the tides in your favor!
  • Bullet Hell! To reinforce the fast-paced style of gameplay, all the hitscanning enemies have been reworked to shoot dodgable tracers, and all projectile enemies have been enhanced one way or another to be deadlier and faster.
  • Collect, kill, repeat! Every enemy drops coins, that when picked up will give you a small amount of Anarchy, and when you have enough Anarchy you can enter Wildmode, which is Punkwild's equivalent of the BFG.
  • CVars, CVars, CVars... Punkwild has CVars to control almost every of it's aspects. You want to deal more damage or take more damage? CVars! You want to get Anarchy faster? CVars! You don't want Jazz to talk as much or not talk at all? CVars!
  • Compatibility with almost every WAD out there! Want to play that cool new megawad but it has new enemies? You can run Punkwild with it almost without issues! Sure, the new enemies will not trigger Jazz's voice lines or be balanced for the custom damage types and resistances, but they'll drop coins!

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Downloads

Main File AGPunk_0.5

Addons
Spoiler:

Credits

Spoiler:

Special thanks

Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:
Last edited by A.Gamma on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 16 times in total.
A.Gamma

Re: [WIP 0.1] Punkwild!(Demon slaying punk girl)

Postby JuliusKoolius » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:47 pm

This is a pretty good mod! But I do have some suggestions

The monsters are fun to fight, but I think that you should possibly make a option to turn them off or make a weapons only version, because maybe people might want to play this mod with other monster mods, also I think the pain elemental replacement may be a bit overpowered. Another suggestion is, I think the one liner's and wise-cracking can get a bit annoying at times, so it'd be neat if you could be able to turn them off, but that's just me.
JuliusKoolius
But... Why?

Postby A.Gamma » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 pm

JuliusKoolius wrote:This is a pretty good mod! But I do have some suggestions

The monsters are fun to fight, but I think that you should possibly make a option to turn them off or make a weapons only version, because maybe people might want to play this mod with other monster mods, also I think the pain elemental replacement may be a bit overpowered. Another suggestion is, I think the one liner's and wise-cracking can get a bit annoying at times, so it'd be neat if you could be able to turn them off, but that's just me.

Hey! Glad that you liked the mod! Now, regarding your suggestions:

Unfortunately, the monsters are a necessity for this mod, since with the weaponry at your disposal plus the Wild Mode the standard Doom monsters don't stand a chance. I may still add a version without the new sprites and behaviour in the future, but even then damage and health numbers would still have to be tweaked.
I will look into the Pain Elemental replacement, maybe make its attack a little slower to prevent it from overwhelming the player.

As for the one-liners, I agree. I plan on adding cvars to control how much Jazz talks during gameplay.

Again, thank you for playing the mod and hope that you continue to find it enjoyable :D
A.Gamma

Postby gllfly » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:12 am

I tried this a bit and it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy Jazz's voicework and the HUD is awesome. Weapons feel very nice and punchy. One thing I noticed pretty quick is that if you're dual wielding and you reload one gun while firing another, the gunshot sound gets cut off!! I think you can try playing the gunshot sound and reload sound on different sound channels.

A.Gamma wrote:Unfortunately, the monsters are a necessity for this mod, since with the weaponry at your disposal plus the Wild Mode the standard Doom monsters don't stand a chance.

That's understandable, but a version without the monster replacements would make your mod compatible with stuff like Colourful Hell or other difficulty-increasing monster replacement mods. Just a thought ! This is great either way
gllfly

Postby Lagi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:51 am

i think the anarchometer should be charged faster. It take too long to collect enough coins.
Lagi

Postby Jarewill » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 am

Gave it a quick play, and it's quite interesting so far.
However a few things:
- With developer 2 mode on, shooting the revolvers results in an ACS error: "PUMPOVER" unknown actor class.
- The pickup message of the napalm launcher says it's on slot 6, when it's on slot 5.
- If you load the quad shot with the riot shotgun when at 4 ammo left in the magazine, trying to unload the quad shot will result in the player reloading the shotgun and the next altfire press will unload the quad shot into the full magazine, losing 4 shells in the process.
Jarewill

Postby Tc_667 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:09 am

Gave it a quick play, looks promising, i like the "Zone wiped" element that pops up once you beated a level, keep up the good work!
Tc_667

Discord: 8069
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby A.Gamma » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Glad to know that people are enjoying this!

gllfly wrote:I tried this a bit and it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy Jazz's voicework and the HUD is awesome. Weapons feel very nice and punchy. One thing I noticed pretty quick is that if you're dual wielding and you reload one gun while firing another, the gunshot sound gets cut off!! I think you can try playing the gunshot sound and reload sound on different sound channels.

Thanks for the feedback! I noticed the cutoff thing myself shortly after uploading and will be addressed in the next version.

gllfly wrote:That's understandable, but a version without the monster replacements would make your mod compatible with stuff like Colourful Hell or other difficulty-increasing monster replacement mods. Just a thought ! This is great either way

Using custom monsters with this mod would mean that you won't get coins from killing them. Maybe there's some Zscript wizardry that would allow this mod to play nicely with monster randomizers, but I do not know of it. Still, thanks for the feedback!

Lagi wrote:i think the anarchometer should be charged faster. It take too long to collect enough coins.

I made it that way since the baseball bat is basically a BFG that you can use on any level with enough anarchy. Still, for the next version, I'll add a CVar to let people control how much anarchy they gain from coins.

Jarewill wrote:Gave it a quick play, and it's quite interesting so far.
However a few things:
- With developer 2 mode on, shooting the revolvers results in an ACS error: "PUMPOVER" unknown actor class.

Interesting. This is most likely a leftover from a pump-action shotgun I added at some point. I was sure I got rid of every reference to it, but it seems like I missed one. Thanks for the heads up!

Jarewill wrote:- The pickup message of the napalm launcher says it's on slot 6, when it's on slot 5.

Definitely leftover from the pump-action shotgun. Will fix on the next update.

Jarewill wrote:- If you load the quad shot with the riot shotgun when at 4 ammo left in the magazine, trying to unload the quad shot will result in the player reloading the shotgun and the next altfire press will unload the quad shot into the full magazine, losing 4 shells in the process.

Thanks for the detailed report! I'll address this for the next update!

Tc_667 wrote:Gave it a quick play, looks promising, i like the "Zone wiped" element that pops up once you beated a level, keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm happy to know that people are enjoying the mod so far!
A.Gamma

Postby Jarewill » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:36 pm

A.Gamma wrote:Maybe there's some Zscript wizardry that would allow this mod to play nicely with monster randomizers, but I do not know of it.

Some time ago when I was trying out ZScript for the first-ish time, I made this simple Event Handler that makes every enemy drop health bonuses based on their health.

Also shooting the SMGs results in "PUMPOVER" ACS errors.
Last edited by Jarewill on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarewill

Postby A.Gamma » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Jarewill wrote:Some time ago when I was trying out ZScript for the first-ish time, I made this simple Event Handler that makes every enemy drop health bonuses based on their health.
It starts at 1 health bonus and gives more every 100 health of the enemy. (Zombies dropped 1, Pinkies 2, Barons 11 and Cyberdemons 41)

My only problem with doing it like that is the fact that even Cybers would drop Bronze coins instead of Diamond + Platinum. But I might as well just add it in the future with a disclaimer or something :P

Jarewill wrote:Also shooting the SMGs results in "PUMPOVER" ACS errors.

Ah, crap. I think I know what might be causing it if it happens with both dualies. Thanks again for the feedback.
A.Gamma

Postby Jarewill » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:57 pm

A.Gamma wrote:My only problem with doing it like that is the fact that even Cybers would drop Bronze coins instead of Diamond + Platinum. But I might as well just add it in the future with a disclaimer or something :P

Oh right, haven't thought about that, sorry.
Well, that shouldn't be hard to fix anyways, I'll PM you a fixed one in a bit.
Jarewill

Postby Captain J » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:09 am

OH, AM GEE!! This mod is so poggers and just a lit, fam! In all seriousness, this mod is interesting and cute mod with lively and badass attitude. The weapon roster reminds me of Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam combined. And heck, even Akimbo Revolvers and Riot Gun are in there. I'm loving it!
Spoiler: And here are some feedback!
And that's about it. The Anarchy meter is fascinating and makes me feel really powerful and amazing. Thanks for making this awesome gameplay mod, freely!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Alamo985 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 am

Works great with Delta Touch, though it's hard to dodge with touch controls. Considering add a weapons only patch, or nerfed enemies for mobile users.
Also, switching weapons animations were bugged somehow.
Preview video is planned, I'll upload to YouTube a later date.
Alamo985

Discord: #7514
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby A.Gamma » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Jarewill wrote:Oh right, haven't thought about that, sorry.
Well, that shouldn't be hard to fix anyways, I'll PM you a fixed one in a bit.

Got your PM, that should make for a better system for third-party monster mods or just for people who want vanilla monsters.

Captain J wrote:OH, AM GEE!! This mod is so poggers and just a lit, fam! In all seriousness, this mod is interesting and cute mod with lively and badass attitude. The weapon roster reminds me of Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam combined. And heck, even Akimbo Revolvers and Riot Gun are in there. I'm loving it!

Glad that you're enjoying it, Captain!

Captain J wrote:- Uzi feels not really powerful, i mean visually. When i fire this weapon, the muzzle flash comes out and there's no kickback, the recoil.

The Uzis shoot every tic, so while they should technically recoil visually, it seems they're just too fast for the game to move them properly. Maybe I'll add an extra tic just for visuals.

Captain J wrote:
- I think holstering animation must be there. It's okay if it's very fast or lacks animation. Because i get this graphical error when i'm switching the weapon!

Now that's a bug that I haven't been able to replicate. Maybe it has to do something with the GZDoom version? I'm running versions 4.3.3 and 4.4.2.

Captain J wrote:- Riot Gun's firing sound effect gets cut off by cocking sound.

I don't know how I missed that, thanks for the feedback!

Captain J wrote:And i would like to spend one or two shells instead of four when i'm doing the Alt-Fire. The delay animation takes quite a time because it always take four shells.

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that idea. The alt-fire for the riot gun is supposed to be more tactical, something that opens space against a group of enemies or burst a single enemy at point-blank range.

Captain J wrote:- Are there will be more weapons to replace SSG and BFG? I know that Anarchy Powerup is very useful, but replacing SSG into a Riot Gun is quite meh.

Sorry about that, but there will not be any new weapons to replace the SSG or BFG. The riot hits almost as hard as the SSG and has a much faster fire rate, so I say it's a good weapon to replace it :P

Captain J wrote:- The protagonist speaks quite a lot! I have no problem with that, but some people might be annoyed over it! Heh. So is there are way to turn her volume down manually?

The next version will have an option to turn off her one-liners and to control how often she says one!

Captain J wrote:- How can i check certain powerup's duration time? Regeneration Coke is awesome, but i don't know when will go off.

D'oh! I don't know how I overlooked that. I'll add a powerup timer for the next version!

Captain J wrote:- Revenant's homing missile starts to hit the floor.

Isn't that normal behavior? I'll add the precise flag to see how it feels in the next version.

Captain J wrote:- SMG Zombie's firing animation is quite weird. Their left arm keeps moving.

I can't unsee it now that you mentioned it. I'll change the states to something more consistent.

Captain J wrote:- When my Assault Rifle runs out of ammo while zoomed, the firing sound gets cut off.

I think it's showing that audio is not really my forte, is it? I'll have it fixed by the next version :P

Captain J wrote:And that's about it. The Anarchy meter is fascinating and makes me feel really powerful and amazing. Thanks for making this awesome gameplay mod, freely!

Thanks a lot for the super helpful feedback! It's really appreciated.

Alamo985 wrote:Works great with Delta Touch, though it's hard to dodge with touch controls. Considering add a weapons only patch, or nerfed enemies for mobile users.
Also, switching weapons animations were bugged somehow.
Preview video is planned, I'll upload to YouTube a later date.

Nice to know this is working with Delta Touch even! I'll add an option to toggle custom enemies on and off for the next version and I might add a hotkey based dodged on the future. As for the switching animations, is it maybe the same one that Captain J showed? I think that it might be the GZDoom version but who knows.
A.Gamma

Postby Wivicer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:14 pm

It's nice to see Gaige getting some love, even if it's not exactly her. She was my favorite Borderlands 2 character.

Fun stuff :smile:
Wivicer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods