[WIP] In Pursuit of Greed Mod (Working Title)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] In Pursuit of Greed Mod (Working Title)

Postby Cyantusk » Wed May 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Hey guys! Howdy?

I just wanted to show you guys something I'm working on for some time: it's a mod based in a not so known game called “In Pursuit of Greed” (IPOG). The game had its flaws but had interesting design and engine improvements, and it was technically incomplete, so why not improve/make it fun for Doom as a mod?

Requires GZDoom or LZDoom to run and Doom 2 IWAD.

NOTE 1: For some reason, GZDoom 4.3.0+ and LZDoom 3.85 bug some decorate coding (apparently the NOTONAUTOMAP flag, but I'm not sure if that's the only problem), so DON'T use these versions for this mod!

NOTE 2: I wanted to do a total conversion of this mod, but I'm not a Doom mapper (yet), so if someone can help me with that, I'll be thankful!

Gameplay Demos
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Lore
Spoiler:

Features
Spoiler:

Downloads
Spoiler:

Changelogs:
Spoiler:

File order usage examples
Spoiler:

Custom CVars
Spoiler:

Skill levels
Spoiler:

And here is a file with the most important project decisions made in the mod (I thought that could be interesting so the development is open in all senses for the community!):

https://mega.nz/file/sGYQRJ5I#P0Sm-TadB ... 7fxiblqfaQ

Feel free to send constructive feedback and/or suggestions! I enjoy receiving them because it makes me grow as a person and as a professional, and this process allows me to do more things with quality for you.

If you found any issue, you may send it to the project’s GitLab group (don't worry if you don't know where to place it, they can be rearranged):

https://gitlab.com/groups/ipog-mod/-/issues

If there's something wrong with the mod or the post, please tell me so I can fix it! I'm still learning to do and publish mods. It's the first time I post here, so I'm not sure if all rules are fulfilled (yes I've read them all).

Thank you for your attention! Have fun!
Last edited by Cyantusk on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Cyantusk

Re: [WIP] In Pursuit of Greed Mod (Working Title)

Postby Artman2004 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Pretty good.
Artman2004

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed May 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Commenting here so i can mark this to download after work. I can already congratulate you for having the guts to go TC ;)
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Cyantusk » Thu May 14, 2020 5:41 am

I'm not sure if I should also post the Ultimate Doom Patch, since it contains sounds and sprites from Doom 2 monsters. What you guys think?
Cyantusk

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Cyantusk wrote:NOTE 1: For some reason, GZDoom 4.3.0+ and LZDoom 3.85 bug some decorate coding (apparently the NOTONAUTOMAP flag, but I'm not sure if that's the only problem), so DON'T use these versions for this mod!

I'd suggest making a bug report to hopefully address whatever issue you're having there, instead of instructing players to stick to old versions of the engine.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 pm

In pursuit of greed... The most aesthetic and spacy FPS i have ever seen. But for some reason i haven't seen weapon mods based on this game!

Since you made Heretic patch as well, how about Strife one? Might be hard, but gonna be worth it.

EDIT: So i played it for a several minutes. Big bosses were rather hard to fight and you somehow you simply could cheat the whole level if you pickup some special item spawned somewhere.

And what happened to enemy ammo and weapon drop? They don't drop anything at all.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:50 am

Blue Shadow wrote:I'd suggest making a bug report to hopefully address whatever issue you're having there, instead of instructing players to stick to old versions of the engine.

Oh, my mistake! I completely forgot to do that! I think I even searched about this bug in the issues! I'll do it right away!

So, to learn, what should I've done? Report the issue, wait for its fix, and then release the mod?

Captain J wrote:Since you made Heretic patch as well, how about Strife one? Might be hard, but gonna be worth it.

That should be interesting indeed, but maybe the mod's style doesn't fit for Strife. Also, I don't know how popular that game is, and I don't find myself playing Strife often.

Captain J wrote:So i played it for a several minutes. Big bosses were rather hard to fight and you somehow you simply could cheat the whole level if you pickup some special item spawned somewhere.

About the big bosses: It's intentional, they should be challenging, but people are giving me feedback about it, and I agree they need nerfs. They'll still be challenging but more balanced. At the moment, I'm working on it, but I need to playtest more to be sure if the changes are enough.

About the special item: Are you referring to the Bonus Item? This mechanic is similar to what happens in IPOG: Players have to take the Primary Item and reach the score limit to exit the level. Since I've made this mechanic in Doom, I had to change it a bit, so the conditions are:

1) If they reach the score limit
2) If there's no boss present on the map (like Arachnotron, Fatso, Baron, Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon variants)

That way, players can still explore the maps, and no boss fight is lost (except if they spawn via ACS, I couldn't find a solution for it).

Captain J wrote:And what happened to enemy ammo and weapon drop? They don't drop anything at all.

In IPOG, enemies don't drop pickups. Since this mod had the original idea of being a TC, I replicated this pattern. But, it also has the possibility of enemies not dropping ammo because they didn't have time to implement this feature, and I may have overlooked this detail. If you want, you can enable ammo drops with the CVar "ipog_ammodrops 1", and play up to Skill 4 (all except "Demon Spawn"). Keep in mind the last skill level disables this CVar since its purpose is to be challenging.

But, if you still think the enemies should drop pickups, I can rebalance this part of the mod, no problem! I only need more opinions from more people.

Thank you all for your feedback! They are much appreciated!
Cyantusk

Postby Captain J » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Maybe add the toggle option that makes the enemy drop ammo or something? That would be nice.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Some questions:

What if this toggle option allows enemies to drop weapons only since there's already an ammo drop CVar?

Which weapons should be allowed to drop with this new feature?

Which enemies should drop which weapons?

In "Demon Spawn" skill level, should this CVar be disabled?
Cyantusk

Postby Cyantusk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm

My thoughts for these questions are:

Cyantusk wrote:What if this toggle option allows enemies to drop weapons only since there's already an ammo drop CVar?

I think there's no need for more ammo drops with this new CVar.

Cyantusk wrote:Which weapons should be allowed to drop with this new feature?

I think slots 2, 3, and 4 (respectively, Plasma Spreadgun, Flame Thrower, and Heavy Chaingun).

Cyantusk wrote:Which enemies should drop which weapons?

Maybe these:

Slot 2: Trooper, Sorceress, and KMan
Slot 3: Trooper3, Berserker, and KMan3
Slot 4: Trooper2, Prophetess, and KMan2

These enemies replace Zombieman, Shotgunguy, Chaingunguy, DoomImp, Demon, and Spectre variants. It'll have more weapon drops compared to vanilla Doom, with 9 enemies from 3 spawn sets dropping weapons, but it should be better for the players.

Cyantusk wrote:In "Demon Spawn" skill level, should this CVar be disabled?

I think yes because that skill level is supposed to be challenging.

What do you guys think about it?
Cyantusk

Postby Magicalmage » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 am

Curious, did Ipog weapons have alt-fires in the source game or is that a new feature for the TC?
Magicalmage

Postby Cyantusk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:01 am

Magicalmage wrote:Curious, did Ipog weapons have alt-fires in the source game or is that a new feature for the TC?

That's a new feature of the mod (it isn't technically a TC since it hasn't a custom map pack yet).
Cyantusk

Postby Cyantusk » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 am

Version 1.1 was released with various bug fixes and improvements. Have fun!
Cyantusk

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:47 pm

I do not know if this mod is being worked on, but I reckon "In Pursuit of Doom" would be a good title.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Cyantusk » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:14 am

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I do not know if this mod is being worked on, but I reckon "In Pursuit of Doom" would be a good title.

Yes, it's still being worked on! That's a nice suggestion! Thank you for it!
Cyantusk

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods