Embers Of Armageddon

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Embers Of Armageddon

Post by DoomKrakken »

At long last, I am ready to share this mod with you guys and the world!

I am excited to announce the official public release of Embers Of Armageddon: a 2016-to-Doom partial conversion that attempts to faithfully recreate the weapons, items, combat mechanics, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016) in GZDoom!

This mod is compatible with GZDoom 4.5.0 or later.

FULL DOWNLOAD (includes EOA Assets.pk3 and EOA Code.pk3 as separate downloads).

Link to the official Embers Of Armageddon Guilded Server, to keep up with the latest updates!*

This link leads to the old Discord server if people are still interested in any of the history there. I'm not there anymore, however. :(

Also hit me up on ModDB, if you'd like!

Originally intended to be a proof-of-concept to recreate various challenges, upgrade effects, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016), it became its very own fleshed out partial-conversion. Over the past few years, ever since DOOM (2016) was released, I had been carefully observing behaviors for the weapons, items, combat mechanics, and upgrade systems of DOOM (2016). I saw that others decided to make their own DOOM demakes, only to add many of their own liberties and critiques on the game itself to their mods. I held that it was not only possible to faithfully recreate these aspects in a sourceport engine, but it would actually work and work well on its own.

And that was how the project was born! :D

I'm indebted to various members hailing from all walks of the Doom modding community. Having showed others my project, many wanted to help with it in any way they could. I am blessed to have gathered such a wonderful team of fellow fans!

Special thanks to my Godsends:
- Strongbelly
- Bryina
- Abysswalker
- Clay
- Simploo
- ScrubHead
- BerserkerNoir
- Major Cooke
- iamcarrotmaster
... and hopefully more to come in the future!

Also a shoutout to my various private alpha and public beta testers for helping me to improve the mod even to this day!

With that said... sit back, relax, and enjoy the mod! ;)

All credits are listed in CREDITS.txt, in the .pk3 file. If any are missing, please let me know as soon as possible, so that I may remedy the error(s) as soon as possible.

*Note: the Discord server keeps newcomers in a welcome room until they announce themselves (much like the ZDoom Forums Discord Server), so that the moderators, having verified their humanity, can manually assign newcomers a role to grant them access to the rest of the Discord. The Guilded server, however, requires a small form to be filled out and submitted, for the same purpose.
Spoiler: Important controls to bind...
Spoiler: Screenshots!
Spoiler: Relevant videos...
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 29 times in total.
henryrenry

Re: Embers Of Armageddon

Post by henryrenry »

ngl, best doom 2016 for doom 2 mod i have ever played, i freaking love it, keep up the amazin worko matey
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

which key is for mele ?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

What error? I'll look at it tomorrow...
bingojohnson

Post by bingojohnson »

Nice! I have been folowwing EOA on discord, and it became my favorite D2016 mod. I'm also getting problems on GZdoom 4.3.3 with this release, various console warnings and missing graphics, like the titlescreen.
Dondlo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Dondlo »

theroguemonk wrote:which key is for mele ?
there is "weapon zoom" in customize controls option,you can bind it yourself,i personally use "Ctrl"
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

DoomKrakken wrote:What error? I'll look at it tomorrow...
no it was on my side

you have to maybe point out that people need to choose weapon zoom az the key for melle
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Gave it a play with Doom 2 maps and I have to say that this is probably the best "Doom 4 to classic Doom" mod I played so far.
And it's the most faithful one too.

Good stuff.
Would it be possible to get an option for centered weapon sprites too? Just wondering.
I haven't seen any centered Doom 4 sprites yet, but I'm just hoping.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

I've taken a gander at this mod. I gotta say that the execution is hands on 2016 at its core. That's both a good and bad thing. I wanted to point out good and bad about the mod.

The Good:
-Recreates aspects of 2016, down to upgrades, praetor tokens, and glory kills.
-Is faithful to upgrade systems such as argent pickups, from the sprites used to crack the bubble to the energy surge effect. Everything is handcrafted with nothing left out.
-Weapon upgrades are smooth from aquisition to actual use. Very well done. These are but a few of the good things.

The Bad:
This mod has 2016 with it's faults. There are a few but I want to touch on what I think might be a make or break for some people.

-This mod uses 2016's ammo upgrade progression system. Meaning a player isn't gonna be able to carry a lot of ammo at the start. Upgrades necessary to upgrade this amount may be easy to find or hard to come by depending on scarcity settings and the wad itself. Might be detrimental in slaughtermaps.

-Radsuit is replaced with quad damage, haste, etc. This sounds minor at first, but play any wad where the radsuit is key for a mapset (UAC Ultra to name one) and this becomes a big deal. There is an option to limit damage from floors and upgrades for this, but this can still be a significant detriment depending on the situation.
CasualScrub
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by CasualScrub »

I love how game-accurate this is to Doom '16. Every other one either goes for a more simplified take or leaves out a couple of features, but this one basically has everything.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Are there any Doom 2016 style mapsets to use with this (and other Doom 2016 style gameplay mods?). Only the Doom and Doom 2 maps aren't really designed for the same kind of gameplay as Doom 2016, which is more about arena combat.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Twitchy2019 wrote:I've taken a gander at this mod. I gotta say that the execution is hands on 2016 at its core. That's both a good and bad thing. I wanted to point out good and bad about the mod.
That was exactly what I was going for. No changes, except for what'd allow everything to work properly in the original Doom games. Lemme tell ya, it's a damn shame what they did with the Charged Burst. It's such... wasted potential. You know?

As for the ammo... I've not experienced many problems with ammo, actually. I will tell you, at first I was really pissed off that they limited the ammo capacity for all these weapons. But as I continued to observe, I found that while it was easy to lose your resources, it's just as easy to get it all back. I discovered that the lower ammo capacities were meant to encourage a player to utilize more of his weapons so as to better manage resources. Besides that, the guns are actually quite a bit more powerful this time around, and munitions can be spent more efficiently through the usage of their respective weapon mods and upgrades. Besides that, all ammo pickups found in the map, big and small, yield the same amounts they do in 2016:
- 20 bullets
- 8 shells
- 5 rockets
- 30 cells
Think about how many small ammo pickups are strewn throughout the map. While it's a nerf for the big ammo pickups, the small ammo pickups are capable of yielding the same amounts as well. Anywhere you'd pick up a box of rockets, you get 5. Anywhere you'd pick up one rocket, you'd still get 5. That's a lot of ammo. if you don't feel that the ammo you're getting back is enough, you can obtain the Ammo Boost rune which will double ammo yield for standard ammo. You can upgrade it further to give monsters a 5-8% chance to drop a BFG cell when they die! Any enemy is capable of dropping ammo, especially when you chainsaw them. Bosses are capable of dropping full health/ammo pickups in three stages. You see where I'm going with this? :D

I applied the same logic to the Radsuits... because unfortunately, there were no radsuits in DOOM (2016). That was personally one of the hardest aspects to remove, because I hate getting damaged from damaging floors. In a much older build of EOA, I had actually replaced all radsuits with Invulnerability, which while they still wouldn't last too long, it would've still been OP in levels that were just saturated with radsuits.

The best you can do to avoid it, really, is to bunnyhop to keep as little contact with the damaging floor as possible (jumping now occurs whenever you press the Jump button, there's no delay, you can't hold it down to continue jumping, and you can jump in levels that'd disable it by default since the player's CheckJump override ignores the CVar that determines whether or not a player is allowed to jump). To help mitigate environmental damage like from a damaging floor, purchase the Hazard Protection upgrade in the Environmental Resistance category for your Praetor Suit (which halves environmental and barrel damage).

Beyond that, the best solution I can offer is, again, the fact that it's stupid easy to lose your resources and to gain them back. Glory Kills replenish health. With the Armored Offensive rune equipped, Glory Kills replenish some armor. With the Equipment Power rune, your Siphon Grenade is able to convert siphoned health into armor if your health is full. Soulspheres and Megaspheres both are replaced with Mega Health pickups (which give you that 200/200 Megasphere stack, but with DOOM (2016)'s full damage-absorbing armor).

All this to say... they really encouraged you to get used to losing resources, because the game requires you to play a lot more aggressively in order to maximize your experience as the Doom Slayer. You gotta trust that there will be more stuff ahead of you to replenish your inventory. Once you're able to do that, you can really get to slaying. ;)

Rip and tear, until it is done!
theroguemonk wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:What error? I'll look at it tomorrow...
no it was on my side

you have to maybe point out that people need to choose weapon zoom az the key for melle
Good idea. I'll look into that. :D
Jarewill wrote:Gave it a play with Doom 2 maps and I have to say that this is probably the best "Doom 4 to classic Doom" mod I played so far.
And it's the most faithful one too.

Good stuff.
Would it be possible to get an option for centered weapon sprites too? Just wondering.
I haven't seen any centered Doom 4 sprites yet, but I'm just hoping.
If someone can make the sprites, and make 'em look as good as the angled sprites, I'll probably use 'em. My spriting skills are currently restricted to careful crops, cutpasta, and color-change... but that's really it. It all depends on what resources I have at my disposal. This is why most of my Godsends are artists, because I'm primarily a programmer, and I fail more in the graphics generation department.
CasualScrub wrote:I love how game-accurate this is to Doom '16. Every other one either goes for a more simplified take or leaves out a couple of features, but this one basically has everything.
That was exactly what I wanted to go for. I found that the whole thing itself worked well in Doom, but I hadn't seen anyone else try to do something as extensive as this. I found the upgrade systems to be ingenious. We had three kinds: one for Runes, one for the Praetor Suit, and one for Weapon Mods.
Korell wrote:Are there any Doom 2016 style mapsets to use with this (and other Doom 2016 style gameplay mods?). Only the Doom and Doom 2 maps aren't really designed for the same kind of gameplay as Doom 2016, which is more about arena combat.
Unfortunately, no. I mean, Strongbelly had created a monster pack for EOA, and Simploo had made a stripped down demo version of DOOM Eternal's Super Gore Nest. You can see both of those in action in this video:

(Keep in mind, this is an older build of EOA, coupled with various addons several fans in my Discord created for the mod that made it look and function a little more like DOOM Eternal. Also, he'll say it's "DOOM Eternal in Doom", but like I said, it's actually a 2016-to-Doom mod.)
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

You did it, you mad lad. I hope your mod will flourish in the future.

By the way, any recommendations on monster packs because it's early game hecc for me.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

TheNightATK300 wrote:You did it, you mad lad. I hope your mod will flourish in the future.

By the way, any recommendations on monster packs because it's early game hecc for me.
Many thanks. :D
Apparently, people are still playing my old monster randomizer from many years ago, so you could do that. :D
This mod is compatible with just about any monster mod out there, so you can run it with almost anything and have it work as intended. You could do Smooth Doom. Keep in mind, if any of the monsters have 0-tic Death state sequences of any kind, it may cause the VM Execution to abort. I've been trying to figure out how to handle that on my end, but somehow such instances keep slipping through my null-checks... so I can't promise things will always work as intended with custom monsters. :(
Thorogrimm

Post by Thorogrimm »

Any screenshots?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”