[5.5] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

[5.5] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Post by Cutmanmike »

Requires GZDoom 4.4.0 or higher!

Description

Corruption Cards is a gameplay mod for Doom (and others) which presents the player with three random cards each level. These cards effect the gameplay in different ways, some more subtle than others. The effects range from changing monster behavior, adding new mechanics, adding extra hazards and much more! In the standard mode, you will be offered a permanent card every 3 levels. This card will be locked in for the rest of the game, meaning you will have to live with your choice until the game is over! There are now over 50 unique cards, and more are generated as the game is played. Every run you will be offered different cards, which leads to an ever changing gameplay experience... dictated by your card choices!

Corruption Cards works with all sorts of mods, and will even generate custom cards for any new monsters it detects! Give it a try with your favorites to spice up the gameplay and add a little extra challenge ;)

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Gameplay Videos
Some gameplay streamed by Coincident.
Spoiler:

Downloads

< Version 5.5 (Newest!) >

ModDB link

Corruption Cards Version 3a (outdated, for use with Zandronum)

Discord Server

We now have an official discord server! Use this to talk about the mod and find CC streams and videos. Please read the rules!

Corruption Cards Discord

Further Customization (CCARDS lump)

Want to make your mod more compatible with Corruption Cards? The CCARDS lump for Corruption Cards customizes decks, card generation and more. It's useful for getting your own custom cards into the game, altering how cards are generated for your custom monsters or tweaking your Corruption Cards experience beyond what is offered in the options menu.

CCARDS Documentation

Non-English players?

Here is a google document containing every text string that can be modified for translation purposes. If you manage to fill this out in another language, please let me know!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Card Design

When it comes to card effects I'm always looking for new ideas, many have already come from you guys. However there are some rules I try to follow when adding new cards:
  • Is it mod proof? - Will this card make sense in most Doom mods? I try to avoid cards that are exclusive to the Doom 2 monster cast and can work in most scenarios. This is why there are so few player/weapon effecting cards. People who enjoy mods would not be able to experience them.
  • Does it play well with other cards? - I am a big fan of introducing mechanics that can potentially play with one another. For example, a card that causes a monster to damage nearby players. Now any card that causes monsters to dash or move faster towards players makes a fun/deadly synergy!
  • Is it different enough from other cards? - While there are a lot of cards that are similar or have the same trigger, I try to make every card unique enough so it never feels like you're choosing the same card if they both show during a selection. For example, the Inverted Gravity enchantment and the Flight enchantment essentially grant monsters the same ability: Being able to freely traverse the map and ignore floor height variation. However Inverted Gravity keeps monsters on the ceiling/sky longer, which makes the cards effect very different in certain combat situations.
Also it should go without saying by now, I don't make cards that outright help the player. I'm super down with cards that *could* help the player given the right context and card collection though, but ultimately they have to have some negative effect to them.

Lastly, Wild Cards. You may have noticed many Wild Cards referencing other Doom mods/maps. I would like to keep doing this, so feel free to suggest some silly cards that reference mechanics/monsters/feelings of maps. I may make them, but please give as much context as you can for why the card does what it does, as I haven't played every single Doom mod out there.

If you've enjoyed what you've played, consider supporting me on my ko-fi page. Thanks :)

Last edited by Cutmanmike on Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 146 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Corruption Cards - Vanilla Doom, but with twists you cho

Post by NightFright »

The idea is interesting. However, if you make the game more difficult, it could add to the thrill if you can also occasionally gain a bonus at the same time. As some kind of compensation or prize, if you will. Maybe the chance for getting such a bonus could increase when choosing a more difficult card or when gambling by picking the "hidden" one.
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

NightFright wrote:The idea is interesting. However, if you make the game more difficult, it could add to the thrill if you can also occasionally gain a bonus at the same time. As some kind of compensation or prize, if you will. Maybe the chance for getting such a bonus could increase when choosing a more difficult card or when gambling by picking the "hidden" one.
This would be quite good. Imagine getting a positive and negative effect for each card. That'd be quite cool as you'd have to juggle them both.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

This seems really interesting. Looking forward to trying it out.

A couple of questions/requests:
1. Are the player's weapons affected? If not, would it be possible to play this with weapon mods that don't touch anything but weapons?
2. How many cards are there in the mod at the moment?
3. You said you had to replace or tweak every monster in Doom 2 for the mod to work. Would you be willing to use custom skins for monster types that are affected by the cards? So, for instance, when the cards make Imps fire Mancubus fireballs, the Imps would have a custom appearance from, say, Realm 667. You know, for variety's sake.

I'm a sucker for monster variety, please don't hold that against me.

Oh, and I second the positive bonuses idea.

Keep up the good work, cheers.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Honestly though, I would like to see this mod work for non-vanilla mods some day. It will be very fun to play with a lot other mods that I do like to play with randomizers at times. :)
Starman the Blaziken

Oh, and might you be thinking of adding more cards for the player to choose from in the future? Maybe some funny ones, some more good and bads, and maybe some useful stuff too just like the starting power ups as well?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I really like this mod, the idea is simple but really spices up gameplay! I'm looking forwards to seeing where you go with it.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

does it mean I can load up any monster pack or weapon mod liek Final Doomer?
quad01man

Post by quad01man »

This is amazing! Iv'e been playing this on zandronum with 2 friends and this is a great mod to use on survival! Please keep up the awesome work, we need more zandro. compatible mods like this. I really look forward to what gets added.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

GZDoom doesn't support execution of console commands from scripts

o.o
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Gave this a whirl and I'm looking forward to giving it a full play through. Took a shot at getting it to run in GZDoom (or LZDoom more specifically since I have a potato), but it would require a bit of work from what i can tell. Definitely going to give it a shot porting it though, cause theres just too many mods i miss that dont run in zandro.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Zenon wrote:GZDoom doesn't support execution of console commands from scripts

o.o

This is this line:

Code: Select all

ConsoleCommand("compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo 1");
Which is to help server hosts (Zandronum only) enable this flag, as missing it breaks the card selection choice. In GZDoom it just prints that warning apparently.
Yebudoom wrote:A couple of questions/requests:
1. Are the player's weapons affected? If not, would it be possible to play this with weapon mods that don't touch anything but weapons?
2. How many cards are there in the mod at the moment?
3. You said you had to replace or tweak every monster in Doom 2 for the mod to work. Would you be willing to use custom skins for monster types that are affected by the cards? So, for instance, when the cards make Imps fire Mancubus fireballs, the Imps would have a custom appearance from, say, Realm 667. You know, for variety's sake.
1 and 3. Not unless someone makes a version of this in ZScript, as every monster/item/projectile needs to call a script to be included in the card system. AFAIK there's no viable way to do that without zscript (in Zandronum, which I wanted to focus on). Anyone is welcome to give it a go though!
2. 98 at the moment. There were a couple more but I had to disable them as Zandronum didn't play nice with them, or they weren't balanced.
NightFright wrote:The idea is interesting. However, if you make the game more difficult, it could add to the thrill if you can also occasionally gain a bonus at the same time. As some kind of compensation or prize, if you will. Maybe the chance for getting such a bonus could increase when choosing a more difficult card or when gambling by picking the "hidden" one.
I tried to come up with balanced cards, that always have an upside but in practice I couldn't come up with many that didn't feel forced (i.e double imps but you get double ammo). Some of them kind of are, for example giving Zombie Men plasma bolts might be better than having them all have their usual hitscan weapons on certain maps. I liked the idea of eventually the game getting so difficult it was unbeatable, and seeing how far you could go. Also I'm a fan of forcing players (including myself) into "would you rather lose your foot or your arm?" situations. :wink: Again though, anyone is welcome to use this as a base and make their own as I'm mostly focusing on other projects right now, but just had to get this idea out in the open.
Starman the Blaziken

Fun idea :3
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

So I've completed MOC Overkill and Hell Revealed with this mod. For the love of god, keep up the awesome work.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just tried it Cutty, and I really like the concept. This is totally fun to play and gives the whole game a completely new dynamic. Gonna play around with it during my quarantine, I have so much time atm, it's a good thing to see that the community is running :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”