[1.3 WIP] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[1.3 WIP] Codename: DEMOLITIONIST

Post by Marisa the Magician »

What is Codename: DEMOLITIONIST?

Back in my old days of UT modding, there was this mod series called SWWM (which stands for Some Weird Weapons Mod). It featured all sorts of wacky weapons, and all was fun... until one day I grew tired of modding that game and working with its janky engine. Now, what does that have to do with this? Well, I'm basically returning to those roots, kind of, and this mod is here as a spiritual successor to that series.

This mod's arsenal is a "best of" of many of my older weapons from the SWWM series, along with other minor mods I made (or couldn't make), revised and remastered, with all-new visuals and extra features that I couldn't make back then. It also features... a cute main character!
Spoiler: robutt
The titular Demolitionist is a combat robot manufactured by Akari Labs, a robotics company from Kasukabe, Japan. It was designed to defend humanity from potential threats, which of course includes the currently invading demonic force on Earth. You play as the first unit, lovingly nicknamed "Demo-chan" by Akari Labs co-founder Saya Miyamoto, freshly deployed on the US to fight the demons that "those stinky idiots from the UAC" brought with them. There is much to say about this whole setting, but I don't want to rant about lore here, this ain't the right place.

Anyway, before we continue, there's some important things that must be mentioned:
DISCLAIMERS

This mod features loud sounds and flashing lights, which may be harmful to certain people. There are options to dampen some of these effects, but it may still be unsafe nonetheless. Furthermore, the UI design and color schemes of the mod may be problematic to people with color blindness. Certain elements such as healthbars and various numbers could potentially become hard to see under some conditions. GZDoom has sliders for controlling not just brightness, contrast and gamma, but also color saturation, which may be of some help.

The characters and stories featured in this mod are part of my own personal lore. Any similarities to real world individuals or events are entirely coincidental or, in some cases, loosely referential.

The mod’s overarching story and themes often tackle topics of world politics, economy, human rights and others. No work of fiction is free of politics, especially those that reflect the author’s own beliefs. If you feel discomfort from political views opposite to your own, this may not be for you (especially if you’re right-leaning/conservative).

The mod is rated 16+, due to frequent use of foul language and off-handed mentions of sex in the story. While not directly featuring any explicit content (please be wary of the official "side materials" posted on my social media), you must be warned: The mod IS horny (and so am I, as its author).
Now... let's talk about all the stuff in the mod.

The HUD
Spoiler: show me the stuff
Hopefully not very intrusive, and giving all the information you could need. What you're carryin', what you're wearin', how close you and your enemies are to dyin', how much damage you dealin'... all that stuff. As you can see at the bottom, the Demolitionist kinda likes to talk a bit, but don't worry, if you don't like that, you can toggle the voice acting in the options menu. Speaking of options, a lot of stuff in there is configurable, so be sure to check it out, oh and don't forget too to bind important things, as there are some very much needed actions in this mod, such as quick melee attacks, tertiary/quaternary fires, a dedicated dash button... and the Demolitionist Menu:
Spoiler: let's take a looksie
One of the most interesting parts of this mod. You can access this menu whenever, and check on various things, such as the current mission (which changes depending on the IWAD you're playing), various player stats (e.g.: travel distances, damage dealt, highest score, etc.), your current inventory (from which you can directly use/drop items you have, including ammo and weapons), your carried keys, a store to buy stuff with your score points... and most importantly, THE LIBRARY: A compendium of DEEP LORE for everything you find, and much much more, including information about various characters and organizations, locations, etc. There is A LOT you can read in here, to immerse yourself into the madness that is me attempting to connect Doom lore with my own. If you don't know how to move around in this menu, you can always press F1 for a nice help screen showing the controls.

Anyway, enough talking about this stuff, let's get to the goodies.

The Weapons

In order to do the demon slayin', you've got a whole lot of fun guns at your disposition. Most weapons have at least two fire modes, some others may have more. All weapons also have a melee attack, so you can punch or bash enemies that get too close. I won't be going much into the nitty-gritty details of each one, you can just check the library in the menu when you pick one up if you want more info.

Starting from the 1.3 update (currently in progress) you will find that there are two weapons on each slot, but save for those in slot 1, you can only hold one of each. Your loadout thus is something you've got to plan for, depending on the situation, as each weapon offers its pros and cons.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the lineup of weaponry:
Spoiler: oh yeah, show me the goods
The Items

What else to have too than some handy little items to pick up and use? Note that most of the stuff here can be held in your inventory as "spares", including health and armor, and also powerups don't activate automatically, except healing ones when you take damage. The many bits and bobs you can find in the field are listed below:
Spoiler: alright, let's see 'em
Requirements / Compatibility

GZDoom 4.8 (or later) is required for stable releases.
The development branch requires 4.10.
The experimental branch requires a recent devbuild (currently g4.11pre-136-g4475240da or later).

This mod uses 3D models and shaders, so hardware rendering is essential. It WILL NOT WORK in software. In addition, shaders DO NOT WORK in the GLES backend, so use OpenGL or Vulkan (the latter is recommended for best performance). If you experience stuttering when models first load, please enable the "Precache GL Textures" option and restart the game.

Hardware requirements? Any mid/high-range hardware from 2016 and up should be able to run this fine, with some occasional "inevitable drops" due to the heavy nature of certain effects used (mostly on BFG-tier weapons). This mod is fairly hefty on the scripting parts as well, with lots of actors running code to make all its eye-candy happen. Scalability is a problem too, you WILL definitely need something powerful to run this on WADs like Sunder and whatnot.

If you're still going to play this on unsupported hardware or using some setup that's not recommended, don't expect me to help you with any problems you may encounter. If you want to play this on a phone, of all things, I commend you for your effort, but you are not going to get any decent performance out of it (plus there's the matter of all the required bindings).

The mod is compatible with Doom, Heretic and Hexen (as a matter of fact, the overarching story advances in relation to the IWAD played, as a trilogy of sorts). There is also additional special compatibility for No Rest for the Living, Eviternity and Deathkings of the Dark Citadel. TNT and Plutonia will not have any special plot changes, as the Demolitionist's involvement in these campaigns would be non-canon. Support for Sunder and Ultimate Doom 2 (as an alternative to vanilla Doom 2) has been planned once they are finished.

Other mods that have been tested to complement nicely are LegenDoom Lite, Corruption Cards, and various monster packs including Colourful Hell, DoomRL Monsters and Rampancy among others. There are many mapsets that suit this nicely, usually those of the slaughtery kind, or those that feature large open spaces.

Where do I get this?

Links are provided here for pre-packaged pk3 archives. The options of "latest", "development" and "experimental" are automatically generated from the latest commits on the master/devel/experimental branches in the GitHub repository, and may be untested, contain unfinished features or depend on experimental engine changes, respectively. Right below, the latest stable version is linked, as well as the changelog since the most recent point release.

Note: Currently, the stable release is severely out of date and may contain many bugs and performance issues. If you are willing to forgive several placeholders, the development branch builds are recommended for the time being.

NOTE: Please PLEASE make sure the mod is up to date before reporting bugs. I am tired of getting reports for things that have already been fixed.
Extras

Standalone UI add-ons (these were built from sidemod code, so they'll be somewhat different from base DEMOLITIONIST):
(last updated: March 6th 2023 @ 09:53 CET)

Demolitionist Radio:
A project originally meant for personal use, now made public. This is the playlist mod I use during my Twitch streams.
Two pre-made playlists are available for download for it, linked in its README. Note that this mod is also standalone.

Updates and Whatnot

There is much planned for this mod looking forward. I want to basically make of it my "big thing" that I'll spend most of my efforts in. Sure, there may be other projects, including some potential "side mods" featuring other characters, but THIS will be the big one.
Now that all the hassles of cleanups and improvements from 1.2 are out of the way, the road is open to additional weapons. There's so much more of this world's varied weaponry that I want to feature here, and I'm certain there is a very glaring lack of dakka around, so expect some mighty bullet hoses to fall onto Demo-chan's hands in the future. Additional weapons will share slots with existing ones, requiring you to swap what already is there, dramatically changing the dynamics of your loadout. And what else would there be after that? Well, I do have some crazy ideas that could work, maybe. Some finishing touches to crown the "final stage" of the mod's development. Stuff that's hard to do, so I'm of course leaving it for last.

Now, if you want to stay in touch about the mod's development (e.g.: if you'd like to give more direct feedback and whatnot) you can go visit this wonderful discord server, where many other cool mods by some of my friends have their own channels too.

As usual, if you like my work and want to help me keep doing what I do, please consider supporting me on Patreon.
Last edited by Caligari87 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 152 times in total.
Reason: Removed Discord link
affandede

Re: [WIP] SWWM GZ ~ Cute robutt whomst loves to explode demo

Post by affandede »

Played this for just five minutes and I must say, this is one of the most unique mods I've ever played. With the usual wacky quality from Marrub to boot.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Did a couple of required features not make it into current (3.85) LZDoom? Fails to load there with things related to loading fonts.

Code: Select all

Script error, ":fonts/tewishaded/font.inf" line 2: Expected identifier but got integer constant '7' instead.
Less normal is it segfaults after clicking the error away too.
Marisa the Magician

I guess so. Glyph sheet fonts don't seem to be implemented in it.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

The starting pistol is supposed to be OP for the sake of testing, right? With it, I feel like I'm playing Russian Overkill 4.0.
Marisa the Magician

All the weapons are supposed to be OP.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:All the weapons are supposed to be OP.
Oh. I was going to say "But Rhino Stopper is much weaker!" but then I accidentally switched to a different ammo type. :D
Now I'm scared of seeing what other, unimplemented weapons are capable of.

By the way, the mod looks and feels very nice. You can immediately see that a lot of effort went into all this stuff. Can't wait to play the release version!

Upd: God bless enemy healthbars. So cute.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Color me excited to play this, especially with how much ass UT doom kicked
Marisa the Magician

Well, with the Spreadgun finally done, it's time to move on to other weapons that won't require as much work (at least until I get to the Wallbuster lol).
AstartesCitizen

Post by AstartesCitizen »

Looks great. Any plans to make it LZdoom compatible?
I really want to give this a spin.
Marisa the Magician

I'm afraid not, I really need those features. Besides, this mod would most likely not run at all on lower end systems.
AstartesCitizen

Post by AstartesCitizen »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I'm afraid not, I really need those features. Besides, this mod would most likely not run at all on lower end systems.
Oh well, thanks for the reply keep up the nice work, your mods are truly good stuff!

PS: Still having a blast with Doomreal :D
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

ABSOLUTELY amazing...
I can't pick up the weapon in map 2 /doom 2 in the room after the first switch door ...but like You said it's not ready ..
I absolutely love it
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I'm afraid not, I really need those features. Besides, this mod would most likely not run at all on lower end systems.
It runs on my smartphone without any problem in more than 60fps
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

I think it's just those font features, doing a bit of commenting out makes it at least load. Also I turn dynamic lights off and a couple of other things but that lets you get away with a really shitty system, I'm happily enjoying your other gameplay mods.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”