Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Post by eharper256 »

For Doom, Heretic, and Hexen
-----------------------------------------------
GET IT NOW HERE AT MEGA!! (Version 0.99)
GoogleDrive Mirror! (Version 0.99)
Discord channel Invite: https://discord.gg/4XyyQtUqHU[/size]

Walpurgis is...
  • A gameplay mod that works with Doom and Heretic, straight out of the Box!
  • Focused on giving everything three fire-modes without needing any extra resources, just balancing them around standard blue and green mana/ammo consumption.
  • Upgrades for each of those afformentioned fire-modes!! (think Trailblazer)
  • Strong and fun, but balanced. Extra care has been put into making everything have punch and impact and be fun to use but not the level of overkill. I'm a mad perfectionist when I get going; so repeatedly testing something over and over whilst I tweak values is not unusual.
  • Gothically medieval, with a taste of moderate-high fantasy. Magic is meant to semi-common in the world, whether through artifacts, or mystical items.
  • Based around play where you get used to using both your arsenal and your inventory items in tandem. Flechettes and Discs of Repulsion are really useful now; so use them!
  • Rigorously playtested with custom doom, heretic, and hexen wads to get a feel for how it plays with them; and to see if I can find reason to switch between my arsenal all the time (which is the sign of a good arsenal, in my opinion).
  • Is named this way because... well, "Hexen" are witches from germanic folklore. Walpurgisnacht is a grand festival for witches in general. So as a festival of new content for Hexen related shenanigans; its doubly relevant.

Find out about the four classes and their Weapons!
Spoiler: Classes and their Weapons!

Don't forget to bind yourself a 'Reload' key. In Walpurgis, this key is your third fire mode. Various inventory items can also be assigned hotkeys.
Comes with its own version of Widescreen Status Bar, you will not need your own.
Please turn off Alternate HUD in GZDoom to get get the best experience with the UI.
Other optional (but recommended) mods to run in your GZDoom.ini:
Nashgore Vengeance OR Universal Gibs for your bloody splatter needs.
Tekish's HUD addons for general helpful convienience.
A shortlist of Megawads that thematically suit Walp (though it works with anything!).
Walp is compatible with Pistol Starter if you like starting levels afresh, and this optionally allows you to keep inventory items (and upgrades) between levels.
Nimlouth over at the Discord made a Walpurgis patch for ZMovement.
Irrevenant made a patch for Strange Aeons, which is available here.
Patch for Walpurgis to work with Elementalism
Spoiler: Most Recent Changelog
Last edited by eharper256 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 155 times in total.
4page

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [Beta release nearly ready!]

Post by 4page »

Mad props to you! This looks amazing! I'm genuinely jealous. Looking forward to trying this out, though and exploring this. I already see quite a few things in there that I have no idea how you did them. I'm very impressed with how things look! I was really planning on adding Doom support to Hexarcana at least, but I might not be able to. Which would be a shame.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Glad to hear you like the look of it.

I've managed to get Doom Support in so far as replacing the items correctly and its entirely playable right now, but the lack of a statusbar is vexxing. I especially need to finely tune the balance (especially for the Myrm/Fighter) as, of course, Doom very much expects you to always be toting a gun. Zombies explode from a single punch in the face which is funny, but I expect they may need their health rebalanced for this mod. XD
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

eharper256 wrote:Glad to hear you like the look of it.

I've managed to get Doom Support in so far as replacing the items correctly and its entirely playable right now, but the lack of a statusbar is vexxing. I especially need to finely tune the balance (especially for the Myrm/Fighter) as, of course, Doom very much expects you to always be toting a gun. Zombies explode from a single punch in the face which is funny, but I expect they may need their health rebalanced for this mod. XD
There's also the fact that no enemies in Hexen have hitscan attacks, while the zombiemen, shotgun guys, and heavy weapon dudes have hitscan.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Oooooo this looks cool. The Magister especially looks kickass! I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

AvzinElkein wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Glad to hear you like the look of it.

There's also the fact that no enemies in Hexen have hitscan attacks, while the zombiemen, shotgun guys, and heavy weapon dudes have hitscan.
Yup, Chaingunners might need a replacement especially; they're annoying for Doomguy, never mind the Myrmidon. It's something I'm going to have to check with a full Scythe or Ancient Aliens playthrough or something.

Another fun fact with Doom conversion; lots of the base Doom levels are un-completeable without crouching with the basic Hexen characters; I had to reduce their height: Doomguy is actually quite a shortass (or the Chronos people are all relative giants). XD
Whoah wrote:Oooooo this looks cool. The Magister especially looks kickass! I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one
Thanks; the Magister is pretty cool indeed, I wanted him to feel more like a powerful wizard and I'm well on the way to that.
Terensworth

Post by Terensworth »

Well dayum, now I've got another fine bit of Hexen to look forward to, as a guy who really enjoyed Hexarcana in all it's iterations, I'm excited!
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Oh, this looks very interesting indeed.
I really like the idea of summoning up to 4 ice spears and throwing them at once, but still being able to throw one or two in a pitch. :D
Will keep an eye out for release. :wink:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Jarewill wrote:Oh, this looks very interesting indeed.
I really like the idea of summoning up to 4 ice spears and throwing them at once, but still being able to throw one or two in a pitch. :D
Will keep an eye out for release. :wink:
Yep, thanks for the assist on the pitch calculation on getting that to function as it now does; I'm very proud on how its turned out; 'tis very satisfying to use.
Terensworth wrote:Well dayum, now I've got another fine bit of Hexen to look forward to, as a guy who really enjoyed Hexarcana in all it's iterations, I'm excited!
Good to have you onboard. XD
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Well, I was missing the Fighter class preview, the Myrmidon, so here it is.

Most notable in this video is his new Uppercut on the Gauntlets (though I didn't get to use the secondary in this tight space), and numerous improvements to Timon's Vorpal Axe (it gained 'Vorpal' because of that new shortranged but awesome secondary fire!) :twisted:
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [New Beta Preview Stuff!]

Post by eharper256 »

No new videos today; but I've been spriting quite a bit; and there's been some good results of that.

First of all; the re-sprite for the Magister's "Fulgur"; Lightning Mastery, which is what used to called Arc of Death in the original Hexen:

It has three completely revised modes which are badass; and the normal sprites just didn't look right... so I've been adding a load.

My favourite is this one:

For going Full Sithy Emperor Lightning Hose on your foes!!
----------------------------------------------
Also, I came to the conclusion that the Wraithverge was WAAAAY too evil a weapon for the Crusader to be using, its flat out Necromancy, after all. The Hexen Cleric must worship a weird god; considering the Serpent Staff and Wraithverge, to be honest. Or I guess he's just a pragmatist.

Anyway; no longer! Joining the Lightbringer; we have the Crux Calicus (lit. Aetherial Cross in Latin, I believe):

Its got nothing to do with ghosts any more, and has both rapid-fire bouncing photon blasts and a holy fire launcher. It's pretty powerful, as to be expected of an ultimate weapon. As you can see, it is effectively a re-skin of the Wraithverge; this is to help with status bar woes, but I think it looks pretty different, eh?
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

If I was 4page, I'd be jealous too.
I'm loving the possibility of this mod, let's see how well it goes with HexArcana.
4page

Post by 4page »

Of course I'm jealous! Not only does this look like it has some really cool mechanics, but HOT DAMN those are some tasty looking sprites. I did a bit of sprite work for mine. Probably the worst parts of my mod.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Blackgrowl wrote:I'm loving the possibility of this mod, let's see how well it goes with HexArcana.
Thanks! I'm happy with how its going. Hopefully it'll be interesting different experience.
4page wrote:Of course I'm jealous! Not only does this look like it has some really cool mechanics, but HOT DAMN those are some tasty looking sprites. I did a bit of sprite work for mine. Probably the worst parts of my mod.
Thanks; as I work with Photoshop alot I'd consider myself decent at it. I can't say I'm better than that, as there are still some people who are just complete naturals for it that honestly baffle me with their l33t skills. :geek:

Anyways; here's another video of me testing the Crusader again:

The Mace is totally different; it gained gained chainmail sprites, sideswing sprites, and also a new Secondary Fire; the Holy Smite, where the Crusader spends a second pouring his power into the mace, and then using it to blast back enemies. It can help you out of a tight spot! We also see use of his new blueberry flavoured Flechette, which coughs out a blast of stunning blue flames. Each class has a new flechette!
4page

Post by 4page »

Well, you're certainly better than me. Though I guess I did something pretty ok, since it looks like you're using the Electrosplosion sprites that I made. I'm loving the way this looks and super stoked to see more!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”