Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lagi

Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Post by Lagi »

This mod add more animations for every monsters, change weapons to melee oriented. Focus on punching combat (nerf range, boost melee dmg, lower monster dmg/longer telegraphing behavior, add blocking(stun monster), shield deflect projectiles, push backs). Low magic.

Bitter Heretic
96 mb
Spoiler: smaller dl files

• 15x weapons with Alt fires, and R'eloads
  • 3x "grenades" (quick keys)
  • no running
  • Tweaked pickups and artifacts (quick use keys).
  • include Neural hiRes textures (without monsters).
  • new monster death/wound/melee/pain animation
  • smooth animations [12 frame walk: golem, gargoyle, knight, sabreclaw, wendigo. Weredragon 10 frames]
  • include PY weapon wheel (set on Capslock in options)
  • include Fullscreeen Status Bar mod (turn on in HUD options)
  • randomize door keys (pick random 3 of 6 colors, at start of each map)
  • default pistol_start (feel free to change in options)
  • added dynamic lights to weapons and decoration to play with DarkDoom mod
Spoiler: key binds - controls
Spoiler: use this darkness mod, to take advantage of dynamic lights
Spoiler: infinite random maps with Obsidian
Spoiler: installation, if you never used Zdoom before
Spoiler: map recommendation
Spoiler: credits

I made or modify few sprites, everybody feel free to reuse them (as well whole this mod). I don't want any credits. In fact I would be honored if you use any part of my opus.
Last edited by Lagi on Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 204 times in total.
neoworm

Re: Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Post by neoworm »

Nice to see my sprites used again.
I tried it and I think the player speed is really annoying. The maps are really not made for this speed and it makes the game absolute slog to get through. I think maybe let player sprint with original running speed but while sprinting he can't use weapons. It would make moving around the map less annoying but the combat will still work as you intend.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Yeah, I gotta agree with the speed thing. A lot of Heretic maps are based around quick movement and reflexes, which this mod doesn't exactly facilitate. You could do what Final Doomer+ does, and slow down the player's walk speed, but keep the run speed the same as vanilla. All that aside, this mod is pretty damn fun, and it's a really cool and consistent spin on the standard Heretic arsenal
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

thank you for feedback! Im very happy to see it.
neoworm, its a pleasure being able to use your graphics, thank you very much for it, the quality & fidelity of your work is amazing, its "seamless".

speed - its set so low, to be more "believable" for bipedal creature. I just finish E1. For me the speed was ok, moreover I always have spare speed up powerup (seeds of chaos). but on the other hand, I know the levels, i dont need to backtrack, and its my creation so Im biased:). Speed affect the combat, because you will be able to easier avoid/escape enemies/ dodge bullets. For the projectiles I include shield (and ice wall), and there is sphere also. Frozen corpses create barrier as well.

Your proposition of faster run, with hidden weapon sounds good. Not sure if I know how to code it however. I will increase the forward speed by 0.1
Spoiler: after my first playthrough:

ARCHIVE from 1st post
Spoiler: forum icon

Bitter Heretic

96 mb

"hungry" version without HiRes textures and music
22 mb
HiRes still pixel monsters
36 mb
music
36 mb
you can combine all above together and have same basic version

Focus on melee combat (nerf range, boost melee dmg, lower monster dmg/longer telegraphing behavior, add blocking(stun monster), shield deflect projectiles, push backs).
Mod ambience is low magic, mundane, prosaic. There is no epic-wow colors / graphic. Mod is filled with nuisances, losing weapons, self-hurts, slow attacks.
  • 15x weapons with alt fires, and R'eloads. Each weapon has some annoyance (like breaking, losing, turning you into chicken, slow reload)
  • 3x "grenades" (quick keys), that hurts player
  • slower run speed, whole gameplay is slow: monster, attacks
  • Tweaked some pickups and artifacts (quick use keys).
  • include Neural hiRes textures without actors (to avoid resolution dissonance with new animations), include also Fullscreen status bar mod.
  • new monster death/wound/melee/pain animation
  • smooth animations [12 frame walk: golem, gargoyle, knight, sabreclaw, wendigo. Weredragon 10 frames]
  • include PY weapon wheel (set on Capslock in options)
  • include Fullscreeen Status Bar mod (turn on in HUD options)
  • randomize door keys (pick random 3 of 6 colors, at start of each map)
  • default pistol_start (feel free to change in options)

Items/weapons/monstersHP stats are somewhat adjusted. but its not balanced. All make an easy game.
Spoiler: monster comment
left is Bitter 12 frame animation (and speed adjustment), right is vanilla Heretic 4 frame animation (its copy-paste of code)

Spoiler: weapons screenshots
weapon slots:
1, Mace: +- Shield
2, Gold Wand
3, axe / 2x axe / axe+shield
4, Gauntlets
5, sword
6, trident
7, hammer
8, book
9, Crossbow
0, Mace+Torch
  • Starting weapon is Mace. Its useful all the game. Have backhand attack. Can hit multiple targets. Mace can be combine with shield or torch. Block reduce damage by 60% and stun attacking monsters in front.
    Primary: swing
    Alt: block
    Reload: -

Shield - can be combine with mace or axe. Corvus receive 10% less damage if he just have selected shield, and 60% less (not combine) if he cover behind shield. Shield block stun monsters only at the start of animation. Shield can deflect projectiles (hold alt fire) and push back (click alt fire) all nearby monsters, also shield bash always cause pain. When in cover, player take less damage. if armor drop to 0, player lose shield. If you already have shield, then next one (and only 1) is put into inventory.

Gold Wand - Shoot projectiles that hurt ghosts. Crystals need to be manually reloaded by pressing R. There is no automatic reload. Alt fire is staff poke, that push back monsters. You can also swing staff when changing from crystal side to staff side (and vice versa). If you have staff end prepare, you block with R key.
    Primary: shot
    Alt: staff melee
    Reload: reload crystal

Axe - often drop by Knights or SabreClaw's. Faster than Mace but less damage (and dont push victims back). If player has 2+ axes, he used them in both hands. Alt fire is a block reducing damage by 60%. Reload throw axe, not capable of wounding ghosts. If player pickup shield he can wield axe and shield (press 3 again, to change set).
    Primary: axe hack
    Reload: throw axe

Gauntlets - green shock attack is healing player. Each shock charge gauntlets, when overheat (red color) no longer healingm but do little more damage. Alt fire is 4x different punches, left right & hooks. Each strike is play only one in a row. Punches dont affect ghosts. Reload keys is block (reduce 60% damage and stun).
    Primary: electrocute
    Alt: punch
    Reload: block

Crossbow - Ethereal primary fire shoot only 1 bolt, that hurt ghosts. Alt fire shoot 3 bolts (for 2 ammo), which go through ghosts. Mundane has slow reload & dont hurt ghosts.
    If player touch ghosts even if crossbow is not selected , the crossbow will evaporate, damaging everything around. Player would stay with mundane (worse) version. Use of Shadowsphere, protect ethereal crossbow lost, and upgrade the crossbow to better version (finding new crossbow do the same).
    Primary: shot penetrating bolt
    Alt: shot cluster of bolts (reload only for mundane)
    Reload: reload (only mundane)

Tome of Power - Book is allowing to cast multiple scattered balls, that freeze enemies (also ethereal one, there is frozen corpse for each monster). Around maps are scattered pages, that serves as ammunition. Alt fire create ice wall, useful to block projectiles and monster paths. Ice wall sometimes freeze alive nearby monsters. Reload is kick, that shatter ice corpses and push monster back. Book is loosing pages (half the time) when fired. Tome of power don't need ammo, but if you are at zero pages, there is 25% chance to be morph into chicken (but you will keep the book).
    Primary: cluster of freezing balls
    Alt: summon ice wall
    Reload: kick

Hammer - Drop by Maulotaurs (but can be find on levels as well). With Flame Orb ammunition, allow to throw exploding fire hammers, explosion radius hurt player as well. Reload is powered up hammer in melee that do damage everything around, hurt ghost. Flaming hammer hurts ghosts and set opponents on fire. Alt fire is a fast "dry" hammer swing and uplift hit.
    If you out of flame, Corvus will throw dry hammer, that have 15% chance to crumble into dust, otherwise you can pick dry hammer again.
    Primary: hold to throw flaming hammer (hint the fire-rain fallout is doing most damage, try to aim at ceiling above enemies)
    Alt: melee strikes
    Reload: radius melee smite (1 ammo)

Trident - Drop by Ophidians (but can be find on levels as well). Thrust have long reach, every third thrust is inflict at slight angle. Trident is also a range weapon. Each pickup trident still has some charges. Each use create volley of 3 blue and 1 red balls. Fire from trident have quite a recoil, that stop Corvus in place. Trident have 2x ammo counters. One for combine charges and second for amount of tridents itself, cause tridents can be thrown. Then its a piercing projectile that go through all victims on his path. Press R, if you want to thrown trident.
    Primary: thrust
    Alt: shot 3 balls of energy
    Reload: throw trident (penetrating)

Sword - wide slow swing, hitting up to 5 enemies, second best damage. Getting nicks and breaks after long time.
    Primary: sword swing
    Reload: -

Torch - illuminate area. Is taken from the walls. Torch add 3rd attack (torch thrust) to melee combo with mace. Alt fire is combo with more torch burn, than mace swings. Reload throw torch like flare (can be pickup after). Torch use dynamic lights. After each level player lose all torches. Fire hurt ghosts.
    Primary: combo with mostly mace hit
    Alt: combo with mostly torch burns
    Reload: throw torch (flare)
Spoiler: speed
Instead of magic healing potions there is:
different type of food +10 HP,
bandage (+25 hp like quartz flask),
ointments (+100 hp like old mystic urn, current mystic urn also increase HP up to 200).
Corvus is recovering slowly on his-own.

Armors:
Helmet / chainmail / Hauberk
plate armor (slow down player -0.15 speed (13% slower), will break into pieces at 50 armor) as Ring of Invincibility replacement.

Armors use threshold to prevent few damage point.

Removed tome of power (as artifact) - power up that make killing everything super easy with extra fireworks didn't fit to my prosaic vision.
There is 3x type of "grenades" : exploding in place Tar , throwable Ice Shard , throwable poisonous Mushroom
All monster can be frozen or burn ,
HP of monsters was reduced (mostly Ophidian, SabreClaw, Beast, Wizard, Maulotaur).
Maulotaur and Iron Lich have graphic wound state when they are past 50% hp.
Spoiler: items (artifacts) are bind to keys :
download zdl3-1.1
download GZdoom engine
recommend Nash gore mod

Many tool with many options, that allow to configure lots of thing.

you need to have Heretic.wad
my gzdoom-m.ini file - with key and graphic settings
Spoiler: installation:
Spoiler: map recommendation
Spoiler: how to play
Spoiler: cheat:
Spoiler: credits
Spoiler: painting settings
v19.09.2020
Spoiler: archive

hiding weapon (shift) and drawing it is way faster
in pistol start mode, if you use ShadowSphere your crossbow is upgrade into double one.

I made or modify few sprites, everybody feel free to reuse them (as well whole this mod). I don't want any credits. In fact I would be honored if you use any part of my opus.
Last edited by Lagi on Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

For the mace altfire, I'd suggest maybe corvus takes out the wand real quick, and fires off a quick wand shot? Could be useful for when you get ambushed by some ranged enemies. Alternatively, a kick with lower damage and higher knockback would be nice for clearing some space. The torch being a dynamic light would be really nice too
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Whoah, wand shoot inspire me to do something with wand. Throw crystal with hand? or reload the wand? or both by throwing crystal you reload the wand.
I would like to add the dynamic lights as well, I make some attempt, but Im just too stupid yet. Its probably something easy, like everything if you know how to do it :)
Spoiler: updated link
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

A premature reload for the wand wouldn't be the worst idea. Maybe you could reload it to have more shots at the ready, but you sacrifice any remaining shots that remained in your last gem? It would also be nice if the reload animation didn't play even when you had no gems left, as it's a bit of a pain when in more hectic situations
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

thanks Whoah,

I try to add wand reload if you press fire and altfire, but I cannot make it work. Below are two attempts I try dont work. I will try to educate myself more in ACS, maybe there I would have more luck (the button press ACS example from wiki works, just messing with weapons states by ACS is terra incognita for me).

Code: Select all

/* {
         A_SetUserVar(user_buttons, GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS,-1));
         if ((user_buttons & BT_Attack))
         {       A_JumpIfInventory("GoldWandAmmo2",1, "Reload");    }
	}
		*/
	{
		if(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS) & BT_Attack && (GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS) & BT_AltAttack))
		{       return state ("Reload");  }
	}
Script error, "Bitter Heretic2.pk3:actors/goldwand2" line 46:
Return type mismatch
as you said, I remove the reload animation if no more crystals is in inventory (its 3rd update of link).
Spoiler: I also reduce some monster hp,
thrown Axe is doing more damage 12xd8 (12-96) instead 8xd8
shield and staff push - is stronger, to have bigger gameplay impact
Spoiler: what i try to do and fail to make it work:
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

This may be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=62228
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Lagi wrote: I try to add wand reload if you press fire and altfire, but I cannot make it work. Below are two attempts I try dont work. I will try to educate myself more in ACS, maybe there I would have more luck (the button press ACS example from wiki works, just messing with weapons states by ACS is terra incognita for me).

Code: Select all

/* {
         A_SetUserVar(user_buttons, GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS,-1));
         if ((user_buttons & BT_Attack))
         {       A_JumpIfInventory("GoldWandAmmo2",1, "Reload");    }
	}
		*/
	{
		if(GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS) & BT_Attack && (GetPlayerInput(INPUT_BUTTONS) & BT_AltAttack))
		{       return state ("Reload");  }
	}
Script error, "Bitter Heretic2.pk3:actors/goldwand2" line 46:
Return type mismatch
I believe the solution for the "return type mismatch" error is to add "else { return state (""); }" after your if statements. This makes zdoom happy and does nothing but let the current state continue.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

After playing this a bit, I've come to realize that the Hellstaff is a liiiiiiittle useless. The hammer does better in any field the hellstaff could be used, and also doubles as a melee weapon. Perhaps the Hellstaff could be either replaced with a different weapon or done away with altogether? Because as of now, it just kinda clutters my inventory
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

thanks for the Zscript link Neoworm, could be useful (for the next christams break time :D)

fluffyshambler, you are brilliant it works! uploaded new version. If you so acquainted, could you help me with my decal animator?
Spoiler:
, here is error from console (in game):
unable to find animator MeltIce
in line 8 and 20

Whoah, thanks for feedback.
Hellstaff looks great as weapon its my favorite heretic weapon, the rain fire is epic. And its use is niche. You fire it into room or by the window and run away to safety.
Agree it was maybe too weak (i dont know how to edit hardcoded rain function). I increase rate of fire more than twice and reduce ammo use (damage taken) from 1-2 to 0-2. Just clear E5M1 on hard twice, and I think its fun weapon.
Give it a shoot, if you dont mind your save file :)
I'm trying to make generic burning fire death for a monster (from existing sprites), but so far my sprites looks out of place and very artificial, but I dont give up. Imagine it, you fire hellstaff few time in a room, and the rain burn everyone inside :P
And what is on your mind Whoah? what weapon would you like to see instead hellstaff?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I think something like a spear or polearm of some sort. I know there are some sprites of a spear with cleric gloves on em somewhere, but I'm not sure where. The hellstaff's probably my favorite Heretic weapon as well, but I just sorta felt like it's role was filled by other weapons. Hell, I'd almost say just do away with it altogether and move either the tome or sword into it's slot. Of course, these are just suggestions though, and I very well could be in the minority
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

hmm... concept of polearm is interesting. And you could throw the spear ofc. Unfortunately I will not have any soon, more of free time to change the whole weapon and do/adjust/ modify/code the graphics.

here is some fire - mediocre

edit: some in game - eh.. I dont know - (its not uploaded, cause its very unfinished - the fire sprites are not well connected)
Spoiler:
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Hate to necrobump this, but I noticed it got updated and I have some feedback!

The Good:
-The axes are 1000% more fun to use. Seriously, hacking away at golems with a pair of hand axes feels awesome.
-The wand feels much more smooth and fun to use, ESPECIALLY that melee altfire. Super fluid transition.
-The trident is a very welcome addition to the arsenal, and feels much more useful than the hellstaff. Good stuff.
-The enemy changes definitely compliment the weapons, and I was pleasantly surprised by the headless skellie bois. It added an extra layer of character that felt super natural.

The Bad:
-The crossbow feels a bit redundant. The wand has more plentiful ammo, a faster rate of fire, and does enough damage to stand in for the crossbow. Perhaps the crossbow could behave more like a sniper rifle/railgun type weapon. Come to think of it, I don't believe there's a long range weapon in the whole arsenal, which I suppose makes sense, but it would be a welcome addition for the sake of dealing with certain encounters.
-The axe altfire feels a little underwhelming. I feel like it could use a damage/speed buff, and perhaps some new graphics so it looks more like the axe your character holds.
-The enemies could use some more melee-centered tweaking. Like having undead warriors throw his axes less, and have more diverse melee attacks for instance. This could help sell the whole melee combat emphasis.
-The tar bomb's explosion radius seems just a little too big. It feels powerful, but also just a touch too volatile. On the flip side, it is still useful and fun to use.
-Most of the animations in general feel just a little slow and clunky. I may just be spoiled because I'm so used to super fluid and fast animations in mods, and I do understand why, because coding animations is super tedious.

And that's all I got! Great work so far, man. The other additions like the fire deaths and such were also neat to see. Excited to see where you might take this mod next. Hopefully no one gets mad at me for necroposting.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”