VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED AUGUST 12TH

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED AUGUST 12TH

Postby Plynthus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 am

Vanilla Doom Plus -monster randomizer

Download here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/clv7lnaq4hx5kwz/VDP-MonsterRandomizer.pk3/file
UPDATED AUGUST 12TH
Spoiler:

Hello,
This is a mod I originally made for myself. I was desperately looking for a monster randomizer like this, and I couldn't find one.
So I started editing "DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer"... and really liked what it started to shape into.
So I decided to start from scratch. So that I can also share this with everyone, in case there's anyone else out there also looking for a mod like this.

The name "Vanilla Doom Plus" might be a little misleading.
To me "vanilla doom" just means doom without any extra mods. Playing vanilla style(no jumping etc.), but still using a source port.
I use GZDOOM and it's the only source port I have tested this mod with.
Works with Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom. And should work with any mod that only adds maps.

My goal was to make a monster randomizer that only adds monsters. And still would be well balanced, if you're playing maps that have been designed for vanilla gameplay. I've mainly been testing with Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

Every monster that replaces a certain enemy has the same(or smaller) radius and height settings, so they shouldn't get stuck anywhere.
Every monster has a specific set of monsters that can replace them.
When killed, every monster that replaces shotgunguy will either drop a shotgun or shotgun shells... Same idea with chaingunners and zombieman. This is to maintain ammo balance closer to the original.

I also wanted that each "group" of monsters wouldn't infight other monsters from the same group. For example the monsters that replace imps wouldn't infight with each other at all.
I didn't know how I could have done that at first. Thanks to Doomworld user Tango for pointing me to the right direction on how to do it!! It was an easy fix and works very well now.
Some enemies do have attacks that can still cause infighting, but I think it's rare enough.
And also monsters that replace monsters that normally would infight with each other(like zombies and lost souls) are untouched.

BY DEFAULT SETTINGS:
This is a more "subtle" monster randomizer.
You'll see a lot of regular monsters(over 50%). It's very much Doom, but there's a lot more variety.
There is about 220 added monsters.
Some of them just are very rare.
More common monsters like imps and zombieman have a higher chance to be just regular versions of themselves.

There is a "REPLACER SETTINGS" menu with A LOT of options for Spawn chances etc.
Spoiler:

Thanks to Doomworld user whatup876 for suggesting for me to do these option menus!

Some power-ups have about 1 out of 30 chance to be replaced by another one. For example SoulSphere can be replaced with LifeSphere which gives you 300 health.
And some decoration objects can be replaced by stationary monsters and mimics.
These are very rare, and those can be turned ON/OFF from the options menu.

I also have changed a lot of properties of the monsters... Health, painchance, attacks etc.
For example if something replaces Baron of Hell. I want it to have ABOUT the same amount of health.
And if something is replaced by an enemy that could kill you a lot faster than the original monster. They probably have less health than the monster they replaced. But these are not very common.

VIDEOS(using earlier versions of this mod):

Spoiler:

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

This is far from perfect. That was never the goal. I just had a lot of fun making this.
I originally stopped working on this about 9 months ago. At the end of May I decided to do couple minor tweaks to it, and finally share it.
I have done a lot of changes since the original release in doomworld! https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/106432-vanilla-doom-plusmonster-randomizer-updated-june-30th/

I made this the way I liked it.
Obviously thanks to every cool monster made by various people!!

I hope you'll have fun with it too!

Also I am considering to change the name of the mod. I know Vanilla Doom Plus is not a great title. But if I do it, I only wish to do it once.
I've also considered names like "Monster Closet 667", because most of the monsters are downloaded from Realm667. Or "Monster Closet (something else)".
Feel free to suggest me better names. And let me know if you agree I should change it to something else.

ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO:
ID Software (obviously)
Raven Software
Everyone who have worked on any of these monsters.
Realm667
DoomKrakken and DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer. I used it a lot to see how these things are done in Slade.
And huge thanks to Doomworld users: Tango, Bryan T and whatup876!! For helping me to fix couple issues with the mod. And great suggestions.
Last edited by Plynthus on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 am, edited 38 times in total.
Plynthus

Re: Vanilla Doom Plus(monster randomizer)

Postby Spaceman333 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 am

A new 180+ Monster Randomizer? YES PLEASE!

*furiously downloads the super chaos version*

Thank you for sharing this, I really appreciate monster randomizer mods that can be used with any weapon / item / player mods alongside it. 8-)
Spaceman333

Postby Plynthus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank you Spaceman333!

I haven't tested any weapon / item / player mods myself. So I can't promise they work 100% with this.
Somebody told me that berserk appeared as normal berserk, even though it was supposed to be something different in the mod he was using this with.

The main version is the only one I've done a lot of balancing for. But for some the custom monsters might not appear often enough. So that's why I made those.
In future I hope to have menu options for that stuff. So everything will be in a single mod.
Plynthus

Postby Someone64 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Wow, this is actually really well done! I'm really into the "subtle" aspect of spawning the special monsters less, too. I feel like constantly spawning all the crazy monster randomizer not only fucks with the balance too much but also makes you get tired of the special monsters faster. Sprinkling the special ones among mostly vanilla spawns keeps them fresher, longer.
Someone64

Postby Plynthus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am

Someone64

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this mod. Some of the more rare monsters do have little bit higher chance to be replaced by custom monsters. For example Pain Elemental has 50/50 chance.
Plynthus

Re: Vanilla Doom Plus(monster randomizer) - UPDATED JULY 5TH

Postby Plynthus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:41 pm

UPDATED JULY 5TH:
REPLACER SETTINGS now has A LOT of different spawn chance options!

A missing options is included as an extra .pk3 file. This one comes with a problem:
Spoiler:
Plynthus

Re: VPD-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 5TH(spawn options add

Postby Turin Turambar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:56 am

Great job, I'm also interested in monster randomizers and this one seems to cover both customization and good monster variety.
Turin Turambar

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 5TH(spawn options add

Postby TimeGearCD » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:10 am

This is a very good monster randomizer.
Had a lot of fun with this one.
TimeGearCD

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 7TH(spawn options add

Postby Plynthus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 am

Thank you Turin Turambar, I hope you'll enjoy this!
And thank you TimeGearCD, I am very glad you had fun! I've had a lot of fun making this so far.

Also another update! JULY 7TH!
-Basically the same things, but done better. And I added an option to turn ON/OFF Demon/Spectre/Lost Soul replacers with long range attacks.
(check the original post)
Spoiler:
Plynthus

Postby eharper256 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Unfortunately, I simply can't get this to work at all. It shows 'Unknown' in all of the replacers when you look at its options menu, and nothing gets replaced in game.

I was using the MissingOptions version, as neither the purely Doom 1 or Doom 2 wad seemed really ideal for me (I use a WadSmoosh including them Ultimate + 2 + Final + Sigil + Masterlevels etc.) along with my usual autoload.

I don't have any problems with other monster replacers (Shades of Doom, Colourful Hell etc.)
eharper256

Postby Rowsol » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 pm

https://www.mediafire.com/file/khkaptqr ... P.pk3/file
Here's the last version before the config menu was added. As I don't wish to customize the spawns I've stuck with this version. Try this and see if it works for ya, it works fine for me.
Rowsol

Postby Plynthus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:05 am

eharper256

When you load any of these three pk3 files: Doom1, Doom2 or MissinOptions.
They should autoload VDP-Stuff.pk3, if the files are all in the same location.

I think in your case it's not doing that for some reason.
If you also load VDP-Stuff.pk3 manually, I believe it should work.

Sorry for this.
Having all these separate files is hopefully only a temporary solution.
Plynthus

Postby Yebudoom » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 am

Plynthus wrote:If you also load VDP-Stuff.pk3 manually, I believe it should work.

Actually, when I load VDP-Stuff manually along the main file, I get an error telling me that something is doubled (can't remember the details right now) and refusing to load the game. So I have to load only one of the main files, and the rest is loaded from VDP-Stuff.pk3 as it should. I'm mentioning this in hope it could somehow be helpful in your future works.

Thanks for the mod btw, very good stuff!
Yebudoom

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Plynthus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you Yebudoom!

Very glad to hear you like the mod.

You're loading it correctly by only loading Doom1, Doom2 or MissingOptions.
But I think in eharper256's case the VDP-Stuff.pk3 isn't loading at all for some reason.
So I thought I'd suggest to try that.

But yeah, loading any of these files: Doom1, Doom2 or MissingOptions, should autoload VDP-Stuff.pk3

Also Rowsol:
Default settings are basically how it was before I added the settings menu.
I haven't added anything bigger since. But I will be adding more monsters soon.
I would recommend later versions, because I also fix things occasionally.

Maybe the version I posted below would be good option for you:
Last edited by Plynthus on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plynthus

Postby Plynthus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 am

(not revelant anymore.)
Spoiler:

The reason I haven't updated the main download yet is that I believe this can cause problems to wads that include scripting.
Very situational problems, but still... I just don't think this is THE solution yet.
But I think it's the best one by far.

I did also test with WadSmoosh.
And E1M8, E2M8 and E3M8 map specials didn't trigger(the "map specials" menu triggers will work though), everything else worked.
They work as they should with regular DOOM.WAD, haven't failed once so far.

So as long as you're not playing something that includes much scripting. This version is easily the best to use.
And if I don't find a better solution soon. The next main download will probably have it like this. Along with some more added monsters.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Plynthus on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plynthus

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods