GENERAL ARMS LAWGIVER MK II

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ASO3000

GENERAL ARMS LAWGIVER MK II

Post by ASO3000 »

Cheers,

I present you a gun mod I made already in 2017. It's the Lawgiver MkII as seen in the 2000 AD Judge Dredd comics.

Name: Lawgiver Mk II
Class: 4
Type: Hitscan/Projectile
Palette: Doom
Summon: Lawgiver
Ammotype: JUSTICE
AltFire: Judge shout, frightens (weaker) enemies and weakens them
Powered Mode: No
Added States: No

Reload/Zoom for changing fire mode: Semi-Auto-Armor Piercing-Incendiary-High Explosive-HotShot

Known issues:
  • Each mode has its own icon in alternate HUD
  • When one ammo type is depleted, it automatically switches to rapid fire
  • Weapon can't be switched with mousewheel from one of the alternate modes
  • Modified RocketSmokeTrail for the incendiary also affects regular rocket
  • Raise and Lower States for selecting Lawgiver from/to other weapons are too fast
  • AP rips through a thousand bodies if they are properly aligned. Rip Count function when?

Fig. 1: Top: Changing the fire mode; Bottom: Exploding some dudes after charring some others

DOWNLOAD HERE

I originally wanted to use the model seen in the 2012 Dredd film (which is an excellent action film btw), but the best I could find was the Lawgiver MkII, which doesn't look that bad imo. The fire modes aren't entirely accurate to the comics; the original MkII has ricochet bullets, but no full auto function, I borrowed this from the movie. Also, I didn't unclude DOUBLE WHAMMY from the Stallone movie because as much as I like shouting it, I just didn't like it that much.
Since I am neither a talented spriter nor coder, it doesn't look that pretty and the DECORATE code is rather roundabout, as I had to make a new gun for basically every single fire mode.

Credits:
Lawgiver Mk II 3D model by S. Cöln at GrabCAD
Hi-Ex sound from Turok 2 grenade launcher
SCHUSS and INCEN sound from Dredd (2012)
Flame-related sprites, GLDEFS, sounds and decorate taken from UTNTFlamethrower by MasterOfMorag at Realm667
Muzzle flash from some explosion template from ZDoom forums
Smoke sprites from OSJC's oldskool Doom
Spriting, Decorate by ASO3000 with help from Anon
Lawgiver voice by Microsoft Zira
Judge voice from Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death
UnbornDecay25

Re: GENERAL ARMS LAWGIVER MK II

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

While a fun gun to mess around with, and would be fun to play through a doom game exclusively with, the gun doesnt seem to spawn or ammunition. Its all but impossible to use in normal gamepaly. (I did test it with The Ultimate Doom instead of Doom 2, if thats the issue)
ASO3000

Post by ASO3000 »

UnbornDecay25 wrote:[...] the gun doesnt seem to spawn or ammunition.
That is true and absolutely intended. A judge just won't find ammunition to pick up on the street. They have what they have and need to use that to its fullest potential.
I made a spawn sprite for it, though, because I also started a Megacity-1 map around the time I made this, but I am really bad at mapping, so it never saw the light of day. At least it would have started in the Grand Hall of Justice where you pick up your gun for duty.
UnbornDecay25 wrote:Its all but impossible to use in normal gamepaly. (I did test it with The Ultimate Doom instead of Doom 2, if thats the issue)
Might be. I usually only test my stuff with Doom 2, so I can't tell you what's going on there, sorry.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

ASO3000 wrote: That is true and absolutely intended. A judge just won't find ammunition to pick up on the street. They have what they have and need to use that to its fullest potential.
While that may be true, the game Dredd Vs Death managed to do it, so I think it is possilble. Hell, if you take this to the next level, you could make a Dredd Vs Doom mod or something. I see a lot of potential here
ASO3000

Post by ASO3000 »

As I said, I am not at mapping, so something like an "actual" Dredd mod won't happen from my side. However, I am currently reworking another mod of mine and my plan is to also update the Lawgiver, especially code-wise (I want to try and stick my nose into ZScript here), as each fire mode is currently its own gun, which kinda sucks. Then I'll add spawnable ammunition too. That said, ammunition for the Lawgiver gets replenished fully when starting a level.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I am currently working on a ammo cycle system for my Hired Guns TC. It seems to be possible but I still have some bugs left to iron out.
ASO3000

Post by ASO3000 »

That sounds pretty nice.
I was also thinking about taking "inspiration" from Jekyll Grim Payne's Mighty Doot, as it basically does exactly what the Lawgiver is also supposed to do.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Think ya could sharpen up or doomify the lawgiver graphics? The hand is fine, but the gun looks a wee off - a Marathon-eque aesthetic would work just nicely.
ASO3000

Post by ASO3000 »

EddieMann wrote:Think ya could sharpen up or doomify the lawgiver graphics? The hand is fine, but the gun looks a wee off - a Marathon-eque aesthetic would work just nicely.
As a matter of fact I am currently kinda reworking and touching up some old mods of mine, like The Bowl of Fucking Piranhas and some others I haven't posted here yet, and I am planning on reworking this one, too. Mainly the codebase, because right now it's a pretty roundabout and wonky DECORATE mess. I plan on moving it to ZScript, if I ever understand it.
Of course I will also try to rework the sprites, but I totally suck at that and frankly, I have no idea how to "doomify" anything or achieve a certain aesthetic of any kind. The hands just look good because I recolored some from the hand chart :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

ASO3000 wrote:
EddieMann wrote:Think ya could sharpen up or doomify the lawgiver graphics? The hand is fine, but the gun looks a wee off - a Marathon-eque aesthetic would work just nicely.
As a matter of fact I am currently kinda reworking and touching up some old mods of mine, like The Bowl of Fucking Piranhas and some others I haven't posted here yet, and I am planning on reworking this one, too. Mainly the codebase, because right now it's a pretty roundabout and wonky DECORATE mess. I plan on moving it to ZScript, if I ever understand it.
Of course I will also try to rework the sprites, but I totally suck at that and frankly, I have no idea how to "doomify" anything or achieve a certain aesthetic of any kind. The hands just look good because I recolored some from the hand chart :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm sure that "turning photos into doom sprites" video or whatever could help largely with that.
ASO3000

Post by ASO3000 »

You have a link for that? I only know that one tutorial from here by torridgristle, but it's not really doomifying anything.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”