DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5a] (21-12-19)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dutchygamer

DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5a] (21-12-19)

Post by Dutchygamer »

Note beforehand: This thread is a continuation of DoomKrakken's original thread about his Monster Randomizer mod. As he has granted me permission to take over this mod, I've decided to start a new thread, but keep the original name in his honour.

Introduction
With that out of the way, lets (re)introduce this mod! DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (or DMR for short) is a monster randomizer mod for Doom / Doom II powered by the majiq of DECORATE and RandomSpawners. Originally designed as an add-on mod for Guncaster, it has grown beyond that original idea. The randomized monsters vary from slightly more difficult then their vanilla brethren, to oh-crap-where-did-I-leave-my-BFG levels of difficulty.
The main idea is that each vanilla Doom monster has a 50% chance of staying the same, and 50% chance of being replaced by a variant. As my spriting knowledge is rather limited, expect many Realm667 sprites for now.

This mod should be able to be run with any weapons / gameplay mod that doesn't replace the monsters itself. Sticking with the original mod's intentions, a Guncaster compatibility patch has been provided, which applies some additional changes (or even variants) to the monsters.

Changelist
GCP = Guncaster patch
v5a (21-12-19)
  • added custom menu to enable / disable extra projectile particles
  • GCP: fixed Cyberdemon fire offset (still used vDoom offset)
  • added menu option to make GCP boss monsters drop additional loot besides the loot crate
    -doesn't do anything when you don't use GCP
  • GCP: fixed bug that blood pools of Hell Knights, Baron of Hells and Slime Worms were drawn oddly
  • GCP: fixed bug that Ghoul never dropped Mana potions (it now does on its final death)
  • GCP: modified Demon, Spectre and Revenant's XDeath to use the new XDeath animations the default mod uses
  • GCP: reverted the changes that the new monsters could be rezzed after XDeath
    -not being able to get rezzed after XDeath is apparently a feature of GC
  • GCP: fixed various monster's duplicate (X)Death states
  • GCP: fixed Mancubus fire offset (still used vDoom offset)
  • GCP: fixed various monster's Pain states using incorrect frames
  • GCP: added missing compatibility for Apprentice
  • added XDeath for Cacodemon
    -custom made sprites, yay!
  • GCP: modified Cacodemon's XDeath to use the new XDeath animations the default mod uses
  • GCP: fixed graphical bug with Overlord when killed by special effect weapons (Shocked death, Tib death, etc)
  • GCP: fixed bug that Satyr used green gore on XDeath
v5 (22-09-19)
  • remade the mod from (almost) scratch
  • merged and / or scrapped monster variants with similar roles
    -this mostly effects Baron of Hell and Cacodemon variants
  • introduced several new monster variants to fill up the empty spaces or just to spice things up
  • many projectiles and explosions have received some additional graphical effects
Downloads
Main monster mod
DMR v5a

Guncaster compatibility patch - Requires the main mod as well
GCP v5a
Guncaster patch has been confirmed to work with Guncaster 3.5a.
Older versions of Guncaster (earlier then 3.3) are not supported. If you want to try the mod with an earlier version of Guncaster, I suggest seeing if the older version of the mod / patch works. You can find these here here (in the downloads section of the first post). Note that the v4 Guncaster compatibility patch on the front page does not work with the 3.0 / 3.1 release of Guncaster!
You can find the v4b version of the Guncaster compatibility patch in this post. Run it as described in How to run it, only using the older versions.

How to run it
Get a copy of Doom or Doom II, get GZDoom (3.4.1 release or newer is recommended), and load it up with your favourite weapons mod.
Load order is as follows:
-Weapons mod
-DMR main

For Guncaster players, you should load the compatibility patch after Guncaster and the main mod, the load order is as follows:
-Guncaster
-DMR main
-Guncaster patch

If you want to disable the additional graphical effects, either change it in the mod options, or open the console and enter the following:
dmr_fancydoom 0
Replace the 0 with a 1 to enable the additional effects again.

Monsters
Bit outdated as of now (22-09-19), will be updated later on.
Following is the list of monster variants as they are currently implemented. Some monster variants are shared across multiple vanilla Doom monsters. This list will be expanded over time, and provide a bit of background lore I cooked up. The lore shouldn't be taken seriously, as I find it a more interesting way then noting "Super Imp is stronger then the normal Imp, fires two fireballs, yadda yadda" :)
Spoiler:
Credits
Quite a list. For now I've included a credits header in the DECORATE files per monster with the credits as far as I know. The remainder of the credits are as following:
  • DoomKrakken - For creating the original mod and granting me permission to continue this project
  • PillowBlaster - For creating Guncaster, which eventually led me to the original version of DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer
  • Captain Ventris - For providing the edit of the Quad-Shotgun Guy to make the Ironblast Zombie
  • TheSkyBug - For providing useful DECORATE, and made the DECORATE code for the Ironblast Zombie
  • Westwood Studios - For various graphical effects
Gameplay videos
Together with High Noon Drifter:

Together with Trailblazer:

High Noon Drifter again:

Together with Combined Arms:

From older versions:
Spoiler:
Related links
Last edited by Dutchygamer on Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dutchygamer

Re: DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5]

Post by Dutchygamer »

Uploaded the first dev / playthrough video, with High Noon Drifter as the gameplay mod:

As stated in the video description, the randomizers for the lower tier monsters (zombies, imps, demons) are mostly done now. You might spot some additions to the enemy roster.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

where's the randomizer for the Wolfenstein ss and commander keen?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

undeadmonk354 wrote:where's the randomizer for the Wolfenstein ss and commander keen?
A significant amount of level packs do things with the SS and Keens to the point of including DehackEd replacements for them; Scythe 2 being a notable one. We modders don't like to touch them for reasons of things breaking.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

As Wildweasel noted, I don't plan on touching those. Even if it could be done without breaking various mapsets, I need to create / find some assets first.
jabberwok

Re: [WIP] DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5]

Post by jabberwok »

Is the v4b patch supposed to work with Guncaster 3.1? From the description, it sounds like it is, but any time I've tried, I get a long of list of errors ending in this:

Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Patch (v4b).pk3:decorate/hadeselemental.txt" line 286:
Attempt to get invalid state Death from actor Actor.

I'm loading all three files in the order recommended. Have tried it with two different versions of gzdoom and in different configurations...
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

jabberwok wrote:Is the v4b patch supposed to work with Guncaster 3.1? From the description, it sounds like it is, but any time I've tried, I get a long of list of errors ending in this:

Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Patch (v4b).pk3:decorate/hadeselemental.txt" line 286:

I'm loading all three files in the order recommended. Have tried it with two different versions of gzdoom and in different configurations...
Does it throw this error on load, or when you kill a Hades Elemental? From what I recall, people were able to run the v4a patch fine with GC 3.1, and I didn't touch the Death state of the Hades Elemental for the v4b patch.
What is your load order?
jabberwok

Post by jabberwok »

Dutchygamer wrote:
jabberwok wrote:Is the v4b patch supposed to work with Guncaster 3.1? From the description, it sounds like it is, but any time I've tried, I get a long of list of errors ending in this:

Does it throw this error on load, or when you kill a Hades Elemental? From what I recall, people were able to run the v4a patch fine with GC 3.1, and I didn't touch the Death state of the Hades Elemental for the v4b patch.
What is your load order?
Load order is Guncaster 3.1, then DKMR v4, then patch 4b. Doing it the same way I have been for a while, by dragging and dropping all three files. This happens when launching the game. It dumps out a pretty long list of errors that seem related to various monsters, many of them starting with the phrase 'Attempt to get invalid state'.

The first couple errors in the list are:
Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Patch (v4b).pk3:decorate/gcmonsterreplacers.txt" line 1:
Replaced type 'Zombieman2' not found for GC_Zombieman
Script error, "DKMR Guncaster Patch (v4b).pk3:decorate/gcmonsterreplacers.txt" line 2:
Replaced type 'Shotgunguy2' not found for GC_Shotgunguy
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Strange. This is the order I'm using (in gzdoom ini file):

Code: Select all

[Global.Autoload]
Path=E:\...\Guncaster_DMR\Guncaster.pk3
Path=E:\...\DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (Base) v4.pk3
Path=E:\...\DKMR Guncaster Patch (v4b).pk3
I have no experience with dragging and dropping mod files to the executable, as I know this can cause the files to be randomly loaded if you drag more then one. From the looks of it, this is what is happening: it tries to replace the GC Zombieman replacement with the DKMR Zombieman v4 replacement, which it can't find. This replacement is done in the v4b patch, so I reckon it tries to load the patch before it has loaded the main DKMR file.

Can you try loading it via the gzdoom ini file with the load order above? See if that fixes the issue? Replace the

Code: Select all

E:\...\
with the path to GZDoom executable.
jabberwok

Post by jabberwok »

Thanks, works perfectly now. Wondered if it was the load order, but I wasn't sure how to do that...
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

The second dev video is up!
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

Updated the Monsters section of the first post to include most Imp, Demon and Spectre variants. Additionally, the third dev video is online, once more with High Noon Drifter:
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

'nother dev video online, this time around with Combined Arms:
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Do you have the estimated release date?
I'm hyped for your mod.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

namsan wrote:Do you have the estimated release date?
I'm hyped for your mod.
I hope to get a first release somewhere in the upcoming summer.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”