Aim Assist Mod v0.8.0, Now with Custom User Presets!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RicardoLuis0

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Aim Assist Mod v0.8.0, Now with Custom User Presets!

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

Aim Assist Mod v0.8.0
by RicardoLuis0

Universally (hopefully) compatible Aim Assist made with ZScript, primarily intended for controllers, but can also be used with mouse and keyboard. Configurable Settings in Options Menu. Now with Multiplayer Support and Custom Presets!

Aim Assist in Action
(These were recorded using an xbox one controller)
Spoiler: v0.3 Debug Mode
Spoiler: v0.1 Gameplay
Download v0.8.0
!!IMPORTANT!! - CVAR names have changed, to keep using your old settings port them to the new format using the Presets->Load Old Format Config option.

Download v0.7.5-legacy (for GZDoom 3.x)
Get Source
Spoiler: Changelog
Last edited by RicardoLuis0 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:58 am, edited 30 times in total.
gramps

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.1

Post by gramps »

Very nice, looks like the kind of thing that would work well on a mobile port.
PhantomDoom741

Post by PhantomDoom741 »

Seems cool (I still didn't try it, that's why I used seems) and this might make a recreation of the Metroid Prime series' Lock-On feature possible!
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

PhantomDoom741 wrote:Seems cool (I still didn't try it, that's why I used seems) and this might make a recreation of the Metroid Prime series' Lock-On feature possible!
That was already pretty possible - in fact, something like that is almost certainly a lot simpler than this, since that just involves finding a target that the player is close to pointing at, then forcing the player to point at it while they hold down a button. This has aspects of that, sure, but it also has to predict player intentions and make the "latching on" feel natural, so that the player doesn't get stuck on an enemy while trying to turn 180 degrees or lose the sensation of control while trying to play the game normally.
elCreyo
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

This is a very useful mod.
Apeirogon

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.2

Post by Apeirogon »

Pro tip : instead of

Code: Select all

enabled=CVAR.findCVar("AIM_ASSIST_ENABLED").getBool();
you can use

class test : eventhandler
{
transient cvar enabled;

override void onregister()
{
enabled = CVAR.findCVar("AIM_ASSIST_ENABLED");
}

}
which then you can use later like

aimbot_enabled.getbool();
Its because findCVar function too slow to call to it every tick.
RicardoLuis0

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.2

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

Apeirogon wrote:Pro tip : instead of

enabled=CVAR.findCVar("AIM_ASSIST_ENABLED").getBool();
you can use

class test : eventhandler
{
transient cvar enabled;

override void onregister()
{
enabled = CVAR.findCVar("AIM_ASSIST_ENABLED");
}

}
which then you can use later like

aimbot_enabled.getbool();
Its because findCVar function too slow to call to it every tick.
I could change it later, but it isn't called every tick, or even much at all, only on save load and when you click "update" on the options menu, so it isn't really a priority.
Jaxxoon R

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.3

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I found a few issues with this:
1) the player angles slightly up/down towards enemies that are very close to them, leaving the view uncentered once they're dispatched.
2) it does not play well with portals at all, tending to point down and to the left of where the enemy actually is.

Other than that, it's been a very good way to test maps without putting strain on my wrists.
RicardoLuis0

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I found a few issues with this:
2) it does not play well with portals at all, tending to point down and to the left of where the enemy actually is.
Can you point me to a simple map with portals for testing so that I can try to fix that bug? I don't really know which maps use them.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I've attached a simple test map containing two portals.
portals.wad
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
RicardoLuis0

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I've attached a simple test map containing two portals.
That was actually surprisingly easy to fix, will update in 0.4, just had to use level.Vec3Diff(), also, for the angle up/down issue, did you try increasing sensitivity in performance settings?
Jaxxoon R

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.4

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Excellent, thank you very much! It works great with portals now. Unfortunately, I tried to edit the sensitivity setting like you suggested, but it made no apparent difference.

pitch i'm left with after killing this imp:
pitch centered with the "center view" button:

The player still pitches up towards monsters. And it gets worse the taller the monster is, with enemies like the cyberdemon pitching up so high it can be hard to see where you're going. I feel like it would help things if, within a certain distance, it tried to keep the player's view centered as much as it could without straying too far away from the monster's center of mass.
RicardoLuis0

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.4

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

Jaxxoon R wrote: The player still pitches up towards monsters. And it gets worse the taller the monster is, with enemies like the cyberdemon pitching up so high it can be hard to see where you're going. I feel like it would help things if, within a certain distance, it tried to keep the player's view centered as much as it could without straying too far away from the monster's center of mass.
that's probably because currently the aim works at a fixed offset subtracted from the monster height (it's configurable, default is 12, but still a fixed value), i'll add some other height calculation options for 0.5, they should fix it for you.
PixelWAD

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.5

Post by PixelWAD »

This is genial! Would you be able to implement an option that once you aim (either manually/freelook or by autoaim) so that it also fires the weapon?
RicardoLuis0

Re: Aim Assist Mod v0.5

Post by RicardoLuis0 »

PixelWAD wrote:This is genial! Would you be able to implement an option that once you aim (either manually/freelook or by autoaim) so that it also fires the weapon?
AFAIK it's not really possible to simulate player input in ZScript. You can intercept key presses and cancel them, but not really add new ones. My mod, for example, doesn't simulate mouse input, it just alters player pitch and angle directly.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”