The Boltgun [Warhammer 40k]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NotAChaosSpy

The Boltgun [Warhammer 40k]

Post by NotAChaosSpy »

https://imgur.com/a/BqZugkK

I created a very basic Bolter from Warhammer 40k for Doom using resources from Captain J.

I plan on creating a Bolt ammo type for it, but for now, it uses clips.
Anything I can do to improve it or just change in general, I would like to know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg2lb3c7swbfw ... n.wad?dl=0
Legion

Re: The Boltgun [Warhammer 40k]

Post by Legion »

It's a good start. However, it feels like a large caliber automatic rifle- which it shouldn't. Bolter rounds are not bullets. They're more akin to a gryojet round. Otherwise, a fine start.
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

Gyrojets sound really weak though, literally like loud bottle rockets.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

The boltgun is one of those things that different depictions show in wildly different ways.

The THQ (Dawn Of War) version does seem to look and sound more like an automatic weapon. But it would definately benefit here from some visible fast projectiles with a very faint trail and an explosive effect on impact.

Also the backwards recoil per shot is a bit annoying, although this is a weapon used by super humans in powered armor so I'll give you that.
NotAChaosSpy

Post by NotAChaosSpy »

I was basing this Bolter design off of the ones seen in Dawn of War and the Space Marine game, which are usually automatic (but in some books, Space Marines are seen switching from semi-auto to automatic.)

I might fix the recoil so it doesn't blow you back as far, and I'll see about making a custom missile for the weapon to fire.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I've seen how gyrojets are fired, and they're not too far off from a typical gun. I've heard that bolters are to gyrojets as an MP5 is to a flintlock, so take it for what it's worth.
However, I will say that this Boltgun has too much recoil and not enough "oomph" in it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”