Zagemod (v1.5.1 Released, pg 25)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
silentzora

Zagemod (v1.5.1 Released, pg 25)

Post by silentzora »

Know what happens when someone works on the same project for six years? They tend to get really bored of what they're doing. So I decided to hit the reset button, so to speak, and start working on an enhancement mod. Why? Because I can, I guess. So without any further ado, I bring you Zorah's Awful General Enhancement Mod!

...Or "Zagemod" for short.

(If you like this mod, you can vote for it here. If you want. I won't make you.)

Mod Features (so far, anyway):
Eight player classes
General enhancements for Doom
Special Effects
New weapon graphics
New sounds for damn near everything
Alt-fires for your big boom-booms
Footsteps and terrain
Bloodsplats on screen
Basically all the same shit you see in all my other mods
Certified incompatible with Brutal Doom
Loads of options
NC HUD built-in
And lots more!

Gameplay Footage wooo
Spoiler:
Credits (this part's really important):
Spoiler:
Important: As of v1.3.6, Zagemod makes extensive use of the Corpse Queue system for VFX cleanup. If you're having issues with VFX not displaying or disappearing prematurely, go to Zagemod Settings and set the VFX Queue setting to a higher value (or -1 to disable queueing).

Download Zagemod v1.5
View ye olde txt file
Last edited by silentzora on Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:55 am, edited 53 times in total.
Someone64

Re: Zagemod v0.666 Alpha

Post by Someone64 »

Really liking this enhancement mod. I like the style of your mods in general.

Anyway, since this is an alpha I have some feedback for it:
If you primary fire the chainsaw after alt-firing it it plays a double sound.
The plasma alt-fire is incredibly weak and it's strange how it leaves the sound behind as you move. Even at full charge it seems to do 50 damage to pinkies. It also still works when you have 0 alt-fire ammo.
Speaking of leaving behind sounds, I don't like the footstep system you use here. It plays 2 footstep sounds long after you've stopped if you take a very tiny step, it's not based on the speed your going, and the footstep sounds left behind. I've seen other mods with footsteps where all of those aren't a problem. I'd recommend using this.
I really like the chaingun alt-fire as it makes trying to use it through click busting way less tedious. I feel it could stand to fire a little faster, though.
The shotgun should have a different firing sound. Maybe something that sounds iike a thing being launched out of a long tube?

Also, will Spectres be able to get revived by Archviles after being killed?
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

I'll look into the chainsaw issue. The plasma rifle is very much unfinished, and will be buffed in the future. I mainly included it to see if I could work out the heatblast mechanic before I got too deep into the mod (hence why dynamic lights don't work for it yet, and the placeholder sounds).

For the Shotgun, you mean the slug fire, right? I can probably find something for it. Will take a look around for references to see if it sounds much different than 00 buck.

Will think about the footsteps thing. I looked at the code, seems simple enough to add terrains and stuff. I quite like the speed of the footsteps in this build, though, and unfortunately, I didn't see an acs source code file in there last I checked. Gonna make it tough to change the timing...

Specters, due to their nature of disappearing when killed now, will not be revived by archviles. I figure dealing with them once is enough this time around, with their stealth mechanic. I always kinda saw them more like poltergeists anyway.

Thanks for the feedback!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

My issue with the shotgun slug shot is I didn't even think it was a slug shot to begin with. It's huge, slow, and has VERY short dropoff and is in strange contrast to the ordinary buckshot which works using hitscan. Due to that I actually thought it was some kind of nail or something which is why I suggested to use a pipe-like sound. The way PB does slugs is simply making it fire a single hitscan shot and giving it ever so slightly less damage than the buckshot and simply using a different shot sound.

Actually, I wouldn't mind the shotgun shooting nails instead. Maybe you can keep the current shot but give it a more nail-like graphic which I think would be more fitting.

EDIT: This isn't the footstep source file? https://github.com/DaZombieKiller/zk-re ... source/src
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Someone64 wrote:EDIT: This isn't the footstep source file? https://github.com/DaZombieKiller/zk-re ... source/src
Looks to be the main one, but it references other source files I don't see. This one seems to be different than the last one I looked at, too - That one was ACS. ZScript makes my head spin...
Iron Droog

Post by Iron Droog »

Good mod. Luved it. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks obviously different than average vanilla doom mods, and much clean and smoooooth than your previous mod, Doom zone! I love Doom zone as well, but this mod is also promising.

EDIT: So i played this mod and it was indeed great. However, i've found some gripes to talk about;

- I don't know, but firing pistol is waaaaay too slow. I think vanilla one fires pretty faster than this mod's.

- I wonder what does the Rocket Launcher's Alt-Fire do?

- Landing on watery terrain alerts every monsters in the map. I think it's also relevant to your previous mod. No?

- I think zombieman gives way too much ammo. He sometimes drops pistol along with a clip.

- Chaingunner doesn't fling gibs when got gibbed.

- SSG and BFG-9000 seems haven't replaced yet. Or have you already implemented them but not being spawned properly?

- When pressing Plasma Rifle's Alt-Fire, it shows no visual effects or anything. Also i still can spam ineffective Alt-Fire by keep pressing the button despite the meter hasn't fully filled.

- Seems like Shotgun's Slug projectile doesn't fly too far. I've expected this gun to be an alternative sniper weapon on Chaingun's behalf.

- Cacodemon, Hell Knight and Baron of Hell bleeds red blood. The replacements hasn't finished yet, i bet?

And that's it. I see some humanoid enemies plays different gib sound effects when got gibbed. Nice touch on that! :D
silentzora

Re: Zagemod v0.7 Beta

Post by silentzora »

Zagemod v0.7 Beta build is now out! This build implements the rest of Ultimate Doom's actors and the Super Shotgun, but doesn't touch the Doom II monsters just yet. v1.0 should feature all the actors. Still a work in progress.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Download Zagemod v0.7 Beta
Big thanks to Sgt. Shivers for his ridiculously awesome SSG reload animation for Final Doomer, which I borrowed some sprite offsets for.

Also sorry to be so late on responding Captain J, I didn't notice you had edited your post. So I'll go ahead and answer here.

* I've boosted the fire rate on the pistol. Seems it was a common complaint. It was the vanilla rate, but I've removed two tics from its delay.
* The Rocket Launcher's altfire remotely detonates fired rockets.
* I can probably change the terrain alerts. I kinda liked this feature, but I can remove it in v1.0.
* Will look into Troopers giving too much ammo.
* In v0.666, the SSG, BFG, Commando, and Cacodemon were not implemented. They're implemented now in v0.7. Doom II specific actors are not implemented just yet, but the SSG is done.
* I've increased the speed of the shotgun slugs and greatly reduced the projectile's drop.

Footstep module is also not added right now, as I can't ZScript to save my life. Anyway, hope the info helps.
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Re: Zagemod (v0.7 Beta Released!)

Post by epiccolton26 »

As much as I love Doomzone, it's understandable that you'd want to do something else for a change, especially when I (and others) realized how long you've been working on it.

All that aside, this is looking to be a pretty neat mod so far! Looking forward to future updates as always.
silentzora wrote: I like more stuff.
Haha, who doesn't? :lol:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Haven't tested your mod yet because I'm waiting for the 1.0 release, but from the gameplay footage I could make out that the pistol is the only weapon in the mod that needs to be reloaded, which further gimps the arsenal's weakest ranged weapon. Also, I'm not sure what else it could do for an altfire, because I'm someone who plays with dynamic lights on only if a mod/map absolutely requires it, so for me the flashlight isn't even working, I mostly play with standard instead of dark light level anyway, so there almost never is an area which is too dark for me. If possible, maybe add a setting to toggle between different altfire modes. If you're not going to change it, that's fine too, but it's always nice for a mod to cater to different audiences, because everyone plays and enjoys their game differently.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm following the progress on your YouTube channel and I'm quite liking how it's shaping up so far, tbh I can't wait for the full release :)
I've only got two gripes so far, one of which seems to be a bug.

1. Like Captain J said, the Zombiemen (and Wolfenstein SS in your latest videos) give too much ammo, you probably used A_GiveInventory instead of defining an Inventory.Amount value, because normally the amount of ammo from dropped items get overriden by the skill's AmmoDropFactor, which by default is 0.5 and 1.0 on ITYTD and Nightmare. It's also a bit overkill for every backpack to contain the large amount of every ammo type :p

2. Speaking of which, MAP07: Dead Simple has 10 backpacks on the same spot, so it looks like there's only one. In Zagemod and Doomzone, picking them up all at once only grants the contents of one backpack. I think I fixed this by myself in the past by changing the ACS_Execute to ACS_ExecuteAlways.

Apart from that, I'm excited to see what more ideas you have in stock/up your sleeve, you're awesome, keep up the good work <3
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:1. Like Captain J said, the Zombiemen (and Wolfenstein SS in your latest videos) give too much ammo, you probably used A_GiveInventory instead of defining an Inventory.Amount value, because normally the amount of ammo from dropped items get overriden by the skill's AmmoDropFactor, which by default is 0.5 and 1.0 on ITYTD and Nightmare. It's also a bit overkill for every backpack to contain the large amount of every ammo type :p

2. Speaking of which, MAP07: Dead Simple has 10 backpacks on the same spot, so it looks like there's only one. In Zagemod and Doomzone, picking them up all at once only grants the contents of one backpack. I think I fixed this by myself in the past by changing the ACS_Execute to ACS_ExecuteAlways.
1.) There's definitely an Inventory.Amount value defined for magazines dropped by Troopers and SS, though they are explicitly coded to drop a full magazine via DropItem. For the Trooper, I'll see about making it so that they drop half a magazine like in the original game. For the SS, however, I do not plan on changing this, as it makes a pistol start on MAP31 far too difficult on UV (trust me on this, that was about the fifth or sixth attempt from pistol start in the video). There's no A_GiveInventory this time around.

2.) I'm not sure why this happens actually. It's been a longstanding issue I've not been able to figure out. The backpacks this time around don't use any ACS to grant inventory, and there's no randomization. I suspect this might also have something to do with the BFG9000 not spawning in MAP25, but I can't say for sure. :(

Once I add a couple of skills to the current devbuild of Zagemod, it should be ready for release.
silentzora

Re: Zagemod (v1.0 Released!)

Post by silentzora »

Zagemod v1.0 is out now! This release features everything from Doom II, plus bugfixes.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Download Zagemod v1.0
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Congrats on the 1.0 release! It feels a little weird for some guns to have reloading while others don't though.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Started working on stealth monster replacements. Because everyone hates stealth monsters.

Here's what I've got so far (in order of appearance in the video):

Corporal
A Trooper-tier enemy carrying an assault rifle. Fires in three-round bursts, has to reload after his magazine has been emptied (30 rounds). Replaces Stealth Zombieman.

Gunnery Sergeant
How this fat bastard ended up promoting to NCO is beyond me. Armed with the Super Shotgun, replaces Stealth Sergeant.

Heavy Commando
What's worse than a Commando? One that carries two Chainguns. Replaces Stealth Commando.

Nightmare Imp
They're back. Moves faster, hits harder. Replaces Stealth Imp.

Blood Demon
A Demon with a hair trigger. Becomes enraged just by looking at its target. It'll eventually calm down once it loses you, but it's best to just put these things down quickly. Replaces Stealth Demon.

Death Incarnate
As if Revenants weren't enough, the shadows themselves have taken shape. These things' gaze is enough to swallow your soul. Replaces Stealth Revenant.

More to come.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”