FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
krokots

FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Post by krokots »

Aaaah, finally, the Doom I used to play in the early 90s...the Doom I grew up with...

Nope, that is not what Familiar Doom is about. It is about Familiars. Your own monster companions, which you can level up, give them unique skills, kick them around, command them, name them, and throw into a pit full of demons.

Familiar Doom features [version Beta] :
- over 50 familiars (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Skulltag, and some Realm monsters)
- 7 familiar attributes
- 39 familiar traits
- 8 damage resistance types
- 7 additional familiar items
- customizable monster replacement system

Familiars : Familiars esentially act like ordinary Doom monsters. You can only have ONE familiar at a time. You start either with one low level familiar, one completely random familiar, or no familiars (choose your prefered way in options). You will find new familiars in game, so you can get rid of your old one and get new, better ones. Once you start a game you will have an familiar spawner (orb) in your inventory (if you chosen to start with one). Use it to spawn familiar in front of you. Also, they are completely resistant to your weapons (unless some modified weapons can deal damage that don't have player as their "source"). Familiar will have a random name, but you can change it by clicking on it in familiar panel.

Familiar level up system : familiars have experience and levels, and they gain experience by dealing damage. After the required amount of EXP is gained, familiar is ready to level up. Every level, you can choose one of two (this can change) randomly chosen attributes out of 6 currently available. Every 5 levels, you can choose an additional familiar trait out of three (this maly also change) randomly picked traits. Familiars can have maximum of 10 traits, though I doubt it somebody will manage to get his fam so far. Also every level, familiar gains some additional health.

Familiar panel : the menu when you can see all information about your familiar and can level him up, add traits, change his name, and drop him into a spawner (orb). These orbs are safe to carry, they act like an item in an inventory, you can throw them away if you find another familiar spawner (orb). You can carry only ONE familiar orb at a time (this is to prevent serious bugs and monster stat mixing etc, I decided that would be safest and easiest way).

Full Control over familiars : and that means you can control them just like a player. They move with their standard speed, so they won't be as fast as Doomguy, but they can strafe, open doors, press switches, pickup keys and even end levels! Try to use Lost Souls for an advantage. Also some monsters can use their strengths - dodging like Afrits, or blocking like Centaurs.

Familiar attributes : these change your familiar behaviour
Strength - will add a constant damage to all your familiar attacks (hover over this to see how many)
Health - this will increase health even more than just by levelling up
Defense - this will reduce all damage received by familiars by some %
Toughness - this will reduce the chance to be stunned and increase weight (to reduce knockback)
Speed - this increases movement
Aggresiveness - this will increase the rate of attacks, and for melee only monsters, add a little knockback
Accuracy - this speeds up missiles, reduces hitscan spread, and for melee only monsters, increases melee range
Note that some monsters already start with high pain resistance, so it is not useful to dump many points into toughness.

Familiar traits : every 5 levels (starting from 5) you can give your familiar some skill. This ranges from poisoning enemies, terryfying them, creating healing items for player, entering rage when low on health, shooting chain lightning, make them tiny...I will not spoil these effects, you will see descriptions for every one while choosing. Of course you can still check the mod text files.
Familiar resistances : same like traits, every 5 levels you gain a resistance point, that you can use to give familiar some kind of damage resistance. Your familiar can have up to two types of resistances (so they can't be too powerful).

Familiar Items

From left to right:
Small, Medium and Large healing potions - you must throw them at familiar to heal them (uneless they know some trait...)
Revive - these will resurrect you familiar, if dead, putting to full health
Teleport to owner - this will teleport in front of you
Teleport to aim - this will teleport familiar whenever you are aiming at
Spawner - this is the spawner to carry your familiar around
These items will randomly fall of after killing monsters, healing potions being the most frequent, and new familiar spawners being the rarest.
You start with 5 small healing potions and weak revive.

Weak revive has unlimited uses, but after resurrecting your familiar, you need to wait 30 seconds for next use. Also, it puts your familair to half health.

Player Levels up too! - but this is just simple Level per Level - each new map, player gains an experience level too, but this only affects monster drops. The higher level, the more advanced familiars can be found.

Familiar drop progression : When killing monsters, there is a little chance to find new familiar spawners. But, the farther you ar in the game (or, the higher level you are), the better familiars you may find. The speed of this can be changed in options menu, so more powerful familiars can appear earlier. Right now there are 8 groups of familiars. Group I are weak starting fams, group VIII are bosses. With 'standard' progression (see options), you will roughly get new group drops every 4-5 levels.

Kicking - to quickly move familiars around or help them drop off / get over some obstacles, you can kick'em. Now this kick will not hurt them, but slam them pretty far. Also you can use this against monsters, but it won't deal much damage (but still throw them around Dark Messiah style)

Move / Attack key - you can command your familiar to attack target you are aiming at, or to move to a place you are aiming at. This will spawn a little yellow arrow. Pressing the key again will erase this arrow and "tell" the familiar to walk on his own.

Current issues [Beta]
- Needs balancing of traits and exp. gain

Compatibility
This mod will rely heavily on being compatibile with other mods, mainly weapon mods. Every weapon mod can easily be made to be fully compatibile with this.
To make a mod compatibile with Familiar Doom you need to:
Weapon adding mods : make the mod's player classes inherit from class "SQPlayer" (this class is already a DoomGuy type class, just stores some additional info and functions)
Hud adding mods : you'll need to make sure that my hud will load (unless you don't want it), you add StatusBarClass = "GStatusBar" to your GameInfo in MAPINFO
Familiar Doom will then need to be loaded first. BTW all that still may not make mods completely compatibile, but I will make patches and edits so most popular mods will be. If you want some mod to be compatibile, ask me.

Download

Require GZDoom 3.2.4 or newer
Familiar Doom [Beta13]
Unpack this to folder with GZDoom.

Current compatibility patches for:
- Weapons of Saturn
- Final Doomer 2.3
- Nun with a Gun V4
- Necrodoom 1.0.0
Compatibility Patches

Before playing
Make sure to bind the controls in the controls menu, and check additional options under "Familiar options" on the bottom of options menu. If you were using an older version of this mod and changed to newer versions, options may be set wrong and crash the game!

Plans
- More mod compatibility
- Adding new familiars
- Adding couple of new traits
- Probably : adding chase cam while controlling familiars
- Not sure : Adding themes so that particular familiars drop, eg. only Doom familiars, or only Hexen familiars.
- Not sure : Adding another attribute, that raises the stunning chance of enemies

Video
Beta1

Beta3 (30 minute video)

Changelog
Spoiler:
Last edited by krokots on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 61 times in total.
Thedarkcube

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta1]

Post by Thedarkcube »

I wanted to use this mod with doom touch but it simply does not work .__.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Thedarkcube wrote:I wanted to use this mod with doom touch but it simply does not work .__.
Sadly, Doom Touch is not kept up to date with latest GZDoom. I understand Beloko is currently in the process of rewriting D-Touch from the ground up, so that might be a while before it's rebased to a more recent GZD.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

The kick animation looks a little bit.. Unnatural, and there is an error message that pops up in your trailer (Invalid Damage Type!). :P
Otherwise, this looks mighty neat, I might give it a spin later!
krokots

Post by krokots »

Tapwave wrote:The kick animation looks a little bit.. Unnatural, and there is an error message that pops up in your trailer (Invalid Damage Type!). :P
Otherwise, this looks mighty neat, I might give it a spin later!
That animation is actually straight from Brutal Doom, I can't make it better :P. That error was because I forgot to set up Zombiemen from Saturn to correct damage type (that still have almost no impact on gameplay)
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta2]

Post by krokots »

I updated to Beta2 and fixed serious stuff, added possibility to choose your starting monster and other things.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

This is pretty neat!
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Ooooooo!!! I'll definitely be following this! RPG elements for your own minions!
krokots

Post by krokots »

Crudux Cruo wrote:This is pretty neat!
It is:D
Naniyue wrote:Ooooooo!!! I'll definitely be following this! RPG elements for your own minions!
Yep, but the main point of the mod is finding through the game more and more advanced minions. But you can play with one from the beginning, so he will be leveled up to the max!

I updated to version Beta3 - added two more Heretic monsters, one trait and a mini-camera which shows familiar point of view. And more fixes.
Clocky
Location: Inside a BFG 10K's Energy Cell magazine (Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre)

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta3]

Post by Clocky »

Oh my goodness, I am so in love with this, probably the most fun I've ever had in a mod, and the best part of it all, is that you can have a friendly Chaingunner or Shotgunner on your side. No demons! Possesed are still possesed by demonic powers and stuff... But they're still part-human.
I hope one day I can find an Arachnotron familiar being dropped, because my goodness if this is fun.

Mod compatibility, still, with the supported mods, is enough to have lots of fun in a single day.
krokots

Post by krokots »

Clocky wrote:Oh my goodness, I am so in love with this, probably the most fun I've ever had in a mod, and the best part of it all, is that you can have a friendly Chaingunner or Shotgunner on your side. No demons! Possesed are still possesed by demonic powers and stuff... But they're still part-human.
I hope one day I can find an Arachnotron familiar being dropped, because my goodness if this is fun.

Mod compatibility, still, with the supported mods, is enough to have lots of fun in a single day.
I'm glad you had fun! If you want to know how familiar drops work, they are kind of "levels" of familiars. Or groups. There are 8 groups, group I being the weakest, VIII being strongest - bosses familiars are there. Everytime player go to a new level, new familiars have a higher chance to be from a higher group. So around level 4 you'll start seeing group II familiars, around level 8 group III, 12 - IV, 16 - V, 20 - VI, 24 - VII and at very end you could find a "boss" familiar. Now, I may add some factor to this, that will make familiars from higher groups available earlier. Arachnotron is in VI group right now.

Edit. Already added that, so next version you can adjust the drops :D
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

OPINION DUMP INCOMEING! :glomp:

So i played your mod quite a bit useing weapons of satrun and several things noticed me. first

A BUG!

The cyberdemon is missing its resurrection sprites.

Now for gameplay opinions.

1. while the way you are giveing EXP is great it has a big problem of favoring high damage familiars (Those with high DPS potential) that being anything that fire's fast and the cyberdemon thanks to splash damage.

2. One way to fix problem 1. and make so that your familiar should not do everything make it so every enemy has a base EXP reward when killed with the familiar active (or even not active if posible). How would you balance it is weird. would it be based of Rank? HP? General dificulty?

3. The HP Stat is literaly not usefull. everything else is better then it. i found two ways to make it better. one way is to make it so it give's more hp OR the one i find more interesting, make the HP potion's more potent alongside the Extra HP. How?

4. The basic hp potion heal for 100 right? So... how about make it so it can heal more then that is the familiar has a high HP poll.
EX:A baron has 1000HP. so a normal potion heal's 10%
How about you make it so that if 10% is higher then 100 then heal the higher amount like so.
if (Familiar HP/100*10) > 100
Heal (Familiar HP/100*10)
Else
Heal 100

5. Could you make it so you can go past by your familiar if he is in your way. after all he is your friend and should let you by. This is expecialy a problem when he teleports to you. geting in the way.

6. Espeaking of teleporting. the teleportation trait is used way to often for its own good. make it so your familiar won't teleport to you if it can see you. wildweasal already did that with juvinile power fantasy with its dogos.

7.Something that complements 2. is that you get to a point that you don't mant to switch your familiar since you already have the one you like. so the spare familiar's do nothing. how about makeing so that you can "Infuse" then in your current familiar? granting a EXP bonus or a flat out Stat bonus. and it would also count the level's if the familiar has any. (In case you switched) [It should also come with a satisfieing crush noise]

And thats my opinion dump. have a good day and make a great mod.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Wow that's actually pretty cool. A full-scaled familiar system is something I haven't seen on Doom before, and while I haven't checked the last beta yet, your mod shows a lot of innovation!
By all means i'll follow through its progress, and I would also like to offer some assistance in beta testing.
Good luck and I hope to see amazing stuff in this project in the near future :)
krokots

Post by krokots »

kadu522 wrote: The cyberdemon is missing its resurrection sprites.
Already fixed that today, I went through every monster and every type of death, and resurrected them everytime. Now every monster should work perfectly!
kadu522 wrote: 1. while the way you are giveing EXP is great it has a big problem of favoring high damage familiars (Those with high DPS potential) that being anything that fire's fast and the cyberdemon thanks to splash damage.

2. One way to fix problem 1. and make so that your familiar should not do everything make it so every enemy has a base EXP reward when killed with the familiar active (or even not active if posible). How would you balance it is weird. would it be based of Rank? HP? General dificulty?
I have a remedy for this. Every monster has a "base XP" that tells how much that monster needs XP for next level. I just need to know what monsters need this to be higher, I set this pretty high for boss monsters, but possibly it is still too low.
This is already in the code btw, but the numbers I chose blindly, so they need to be refined.
kadu522 wrote: 3. The HP Stat is literaly not usefull. everything else is better then it. i found two ways to make it better. one way is to make it so it give's more hp OR the one i find more interesting, make the HP potion's more potent alongside the Extra HP. How?

4. The basic hp potion heal for 100 right? So... how about make it so it can heal more then that is the familiar has a high HP poll.
EX:A baron has 1000HP. so a normal potion heal's 10%
How about you make it so that if 10% is higher then 100 then heal the higher amount like so.
if (Familiar HP/100*10) > 100
Heal (Familiar HP/100*10)
Else
Heal 100
That would be definitely possible to do (potions heal more with health attribute). Also I just might to increase the HP per point. I think this is useful at start for weak monsters, like Imps or Zombies. For Cyberdemon definitely it is useless right now.
kadu522 wrote: 5. Could you make it so you can go past by your familiar if he is in your way. after all he is your friend and should let you by. This is expecialy a problem when he teleports to you. geting in the way.
Not sure about this, this would require to put some dodgy code, and I definitely don't want to mess too much with monster collisions, but I'll think about a decent way to do this.
kadu522 wrote: 6. Espeaking of teleporting. the teleportation trait is used way to often for its own good. make it so your familiar won't teleport to you if it can see you. wildweasal already did that with juvinile power fantasy with its dogos.
Ah that is a good idea, and easy to implement. I'll do it for next update.
kadu522 wrote: 7.Something that complements 2. is that you get to a point that you don't mant to switch your familiar since you already have the one you like. so the spare familiar's do nothing. how about makeing so that you can "Infuse" then in your current familiar? granting a EXP bonus or a flat out Stat bonus. and it would also count the level's if the familiar has any. (In case you switched) [It should also come with a satisfieing crush noise]
I might do something like this - "dumping" a useless familiar into a "infuser" (item) that can do something (like giving XP, or spawning some random items)

Nice one! Thanks for such a deep info on this mod! Hope you had some fun!
krokots

Post by krokots »

RedoLane wrote:Wow that's actually pretty cool. A full-scaled familiar system is something I haven't seen on Doom before, and while I haven't checked the last beta yet, your mod shows a lot of innovation!
By all means i'll follow through its progress, and I would also like to offer some assistance in beta testing.
Good luck and I hope to see amazing stuff in this project in the near future :)
Oh definitely every info is very helpful, and this mod is easy to play, because you don't have to change gameplay too much, you just have an additional monster by your side. The problems right now mostly are with the balance - familars can get very powerful later in the game.

And, I updated to version beta 4, added 17 familiars, numerous bug fixes, and a new trait.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”