Touhou DOOM Advance Pack
Extensions and bugfixes pack for Untitled's Touhou DOOM mod. Requires Touhou DOOM version 3.5C or higher, and GZDoom 2.2.0 or higher.
This mod adds some interesting (as for me) features to Untitled's Touhou DOOM and fixes some bugs that were not fixed in upstream.
(Yes, I heard you like Touhou and DOOM, so I made a Touhou mod to Touhou mod so you can play even more Touhouish DOOM while playing Touhouish DOOM!)
What has been done:
- Touhou DOOM and Advance pack options are now controllable under the special Options submenu: "Touhou DOOM Options". No more messing with CVARs!
- Score system introduced; current value is shown in bottom left corner of screen along the HUD. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu; disabling it automatically disables graze and EXTENDs.
- Spell card bonus introduced: if player is able to capture spell card in a given time, he/she is awarded by some amount of points (it begins from 100000 prior to spell card declaration and continuously drops until reached 0 at ten seconds prior to timeout of spell card). Survival spell cards are always awarded by 100000 points if captured.
- Point items are dropped by fairies, dolls and bosses along with power items. Some bosses (notably extra stage ones) do very large drops.
- Power (and point, if scoring enabled) items are dropped by enemies on levels >= 13. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu.
- Power items also increase score on pickup (but less than single point item); so they are still subject to pick up even if you have 400 power.
- Power and point items are depleting with time, so it's better to pick them up as quick as possible (that kinda emulates behavior of point items which gave you more value if they have no time to fall lower on screen).
- Fancy endgame stats screen ("ALL CLEAR!") has been made (and numbers are not static, but counting from 0 to actual value like in DOOM intermission screen!)
- EXTEND bonus introduced. It may be placed on map, or given as drop from a boss. Contrary to Touhou-like extend mechanic, they do not add a life; but, they "extend" player's possible life scale. Each extend raises maximum health level achievable with megaspheres and soulspheres (but not health bonuses, as they aren't used in Touhou-themed stages) by 100; so single extend gives maximum health 300, next one - 400, and so on.
- Player receives an EXTEND when score reaches some predefined levels. It may be configured or disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu. As for now, there are two options: 'normal' extends, when you receive extends at 100k, 200k, 300k, 500k, 700k and 1000k points, and 'rare' extends, when you receive them at twice these levels (200k, 400k, 600k, 1000k, 1400k and 2000k).
- Player now can graze enemy projectiles, being near them (100 map points or less); at the end of the game it is counted into total score value. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu. Play more dangerously in hope to achieve more graze points (as you do in Touhou)! Unfortunately, it required raising game engine version requirements (but, hey, GZDoom 2.2.0 is released nearly 2 years before, why should you keep older versions?)
- Auto-collect. I suppose when boss or midboss battle begins, player must auto-collect all power and score items remaining on map; I still don't know how to do this in nice-looking matter (Well, draft idea is to use ThingCount, then despawn every point/power item, and add resulting value to score; but it's not even nearly pretty as mechanic of auto-collect in Touhou).
- High score. I don't think ACS allow me to modify files on disk, but for now you still may save your score table as a typical savegame (yes, it is possible!) and show this to your friends lol. By the way, I have an idea to save high score in some CVAR.
- Enemy marker. It turned out much harder than I thought of it; that's because ACS/DECORATE don't know anything about player screen. As for now, I surely can't find the way to do something like what I want to see there.
Why is this exist?
Because DOOM is fun, and Touhou is fun too.
And because Touhou DOOM is fun squared! (Or maybe even cubed.)
Spoiler:P.S. Great thanks to Dusted and Untitled (for giving me a lot of fun playing theirs mods and eventually inspiring me for making this one), and ZikShadow (for playing this mod and letting me see how does playing with it look like from a side).
Download it here:
https://github.com/makise-homura/Touhou ... cePack.rar
Changes summary (in comparison with v0.2.2-3.66):
- Added grazing mechanic.
- Engine version requirement is raised to GZDoom 2.2.0.
- Minor documentation changes; updated screenshots.
- 3.5C (Apr 22, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
- 3.55 (Apr 28, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
- 3.6 (Jun 22, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
- 3.65 (Jul 11, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
- 3.66 (Jul 15, 2018) - suitable, tested on GZDoom 2.2.0 (x86).
Of course, you may also clone this repository ('graze' branch) and build it by yourself.
Note two other branches: 'master' is current version for last release of Touhou DOOM, but without graze support, for playing with older game engine versions like ZDoom 2.8, Zandronum 3.0, etc.; 'for_version_3G' is obsolete branch for Touhou DOOM version 3G and less (no longer supported).
Also, feel free to make any suggestions, bugreports and even pull requests, either on GitHub or in this thread.
I will always try to keep this mod compatible with newest release of Untitled's Touhou DOOM. But if you want to play older releases of Touhou DOOM, you may find suitable version on GitHub releases page.
Mostly everything in this mod, as for now, was made by me based on ideas from ZDoom forum, except the following:
- Graphic assets: POINA0 and E1UPA0 lumps are from Touhou games by ZUN, and GENSOKYO lump is modification of typical Gensokyo map by unknown author and DOOM marine back from DOOM II;
- Music: SHINKIRO lump is title screen theme from Hopeless Masquerade, by U2 Akiyama;
- SFX: EXTEND lump is from Touhou games by ZUN;
- Some ACS and DECORATE code (not more than a couple of lines for each actor or function, where I have no way to use inheritance) is copied from Untitled's code.
- Get any modern GZDoom source port (minimum requirement is 2.2.0).
- Get DOOM2.WAD from DOOM II game. Possibly FreeDOOM's one can be suitable; it was not tested though.
- Get last version of Untitled's Touhou DOOM PK3 here.
- (optional) Get any launcher like ZDL (https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL) or use another one - whatever you like.
- Run ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum with DOOM2.WAD as IWAD, TouhouDoom.pk3 as first PWAD in list, and TouhouDoomAdvancePack.wad as second PWAD in list. Order does strictly matter.
- Enjoy your "advanced" Touhou DOOM!