Maelstrom's Heretic: Element Storm and Fulgurite Edition

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Maelstrom's Heretic: Element Storm and Fulgurite Edition

Postby Captain Ventris » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Once a gameplay mod for Skulltag only ever released to private testers, I got the original creators' (Maelstrom and Starscream) blessings to update the last version that was released to testers, as well as to make a version updated according to my whims! Obviously it's for Heretic. It replaces both monsters and weapons.

Here's the original trailer made for the project:

To be COMPLETELY frank I'm not sure I'm going to get around to altering the remaining types of monsters. I've got a lot going one, but there was no need to have this sit around on my hard drive. There are some miscolored particle effects I was too lazy to change. Yeah, I know. Regardless it's quite fun as-is and definitely puts a new spin on the game!

Breakdown:
The mod is based around 10 elements. Gargoyles, Golems, Undead Knights, Disciples of D'Sparil, and Iron Liches (only in Water and Fire) spawn in one of these elements. In the Fulgurite Editition each level will have a primary and secondary element that are most common. Accordingly, the player can obtain weapons of each element. Now of the 10 standard elements, each one counters the next in order, and is resistant to whatever element it counters. SO:
Water : Blue
Fire : Red
Earth : Brown
Air : Gold (Cyan in Fulgurite Edition)
Acid: Green
Steel (Metal in Fulgurite Edition): Grey
Glass (Crystal in Fulgurite Edition): White/Light Grey (Purple in Fulgurite Edition)
Energy/Power: Purple (Yellow in Fulgurite Edition)

There are two other elements that spawn rarely but are more powerful. They are resistant to all normal elements, but counter each other.
Light (Sacred in Fulgurite Edition) : White
Dark (Profane in Fulgurite Edition): Black

Downloads:
Here is the original version, changed only to work on the current version of GZDoom.

The Fulgurite Edition makes all of the following changes and is available Here.
Spoiler:

EDIT: I goofed up a couple spawning scripts so if you downloaded soon after posting just redownload.
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Re: Maelstrom's Heretic: Element Storm and Fulgurite Edition

Postby 4thcharacter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 pm

This mod has my attention. Definitely going to play this and have a hell of a time.

Also, I've seen the same red Sapphire Wand (now Ruby Wand?) in a different video before somewhere. Coincidentally it was also a progress update video or something for a Heretic mod that was probably unreleased unless I've never heard about it.

Now I can snag it from this mod in all it's glory and use it for personal reasons.
4thcharacter
"I have returned."
Banned User

Postby 4thcharacter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 am

Found some problems: You can get stuck at E1M8 unless you noclip your way out, because sometimes the liches don't appear for some reason. Aside from that, sometimes the golems in the windows overlooking the red area in that map are absent when I reached that level for the first time.

EDIT: Also, is it me or do the air variants of enemies rarely appear?
4thcharacter
"I have returned."
Banned User

Postby 4thcharacter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:22 pm

I found out the cause why the wind enemies rarely spawn, actually, they don't spawn at all!

On the spawners script it looks for the wind enemies and they all have the "air" prefix to them but the monsters have "wind". I think this is the reason why some monsters do not appear their places at all.

Same goes for Tornado Claw's ammo too.

On the liches I just replaced them with a typical randomspawner for the as a personal fix.
4thcharacter
"I have returned."
Banned User

Return to Gameplay Mods