Complex DooM (UPDATED 10/01/22)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Daedalus

Complex DooM (UPDATED 10/01/22)

Post by Daedalus »

This is a randomiser mod which changes a boatload of stuff but keeps to the original vanilla-like gameplay.

Some info on it:
-Each monster has typically 3/4 tiers where a random tougher monster will spawn in its place.
-Armor and Spheres have a random chance to spawn a stronger type/powerup.
-Weapons have been redone and feature reloading.
-There is an inventory system to make use of items/powerups which are randomly dropped by monsters.
-You can toss grenades and mines with weapons equipped.

There's plenty more in it but its been out for so long players probably know what its all about.
Spoiler: Latest release changes (v27b2)
You can download it HERE.

Featured on Realm667
Spoiler: Gameplay videos
Last edited by Daedalus on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Marinelol

Re: OFFICIAL Complex DooM.v27 Thread

Post by Marinelol »

About time you post here. Keep updates going!
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Seems okay. 5/10 wish more monsters had their attacks aligned up with their sprite's 'weapon' arm and less gore that looks silly when it's spawned on liquid flats.

Edit: Also, on the latest version of Gzdoom, the BFG (the normal one) is completely broken: The weapon fires normally, but doesn't remove ammo from the magazine, allowing for infinite firing.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I can't test right now, so I wanted to ask if the performance toggle now works in GZDoom, because prior versions achieved this via CVAR manipulation, which GZDoom doesn't allow, unlike Zandronum.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

and I thought that guy who say "complexdoom updated to version 27" smoke some really strong weed...
iSpook

Re: OFFICIAL Complex DooM Thread

Post by iSpook »

I can effectively say that the Assault rifle's upgrade is 120% useless in its current state. I'd say make the grenades impact-based, instead of acting like the GL's grenades, just to make it different and possibly useful in situations where you're directly attacking a monster. (Also make the grenades ACTUALLY visible, I couldn't see the projectile if I wasn't on top of it.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

iSpook wrote:Seems okay. 5/10 wish more monsters had their attacks aligned up with their sprite's 'weapon' arm and less gore that looks silly when it's spawned on liquid flats.

Edit: Also, on the latest version of Gzdoom, the BFG (the normal one) is completely broken: The weapon fires normally, but doesn't remove ammo from the magazine, allowing for infinite firing.
I still need to tweak the redone blood effects, yeah.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll have it fixed for next release.
DabbingSquidward wrote:I can't test right now, so I wanted to ask if the performance toggle now works in GZDoom, because prior versions achieved this via CVAR manipulation, which GZDoom doesn't allow, unlike Zandronum.
Yes, you should be able to toggle it via the mods menus (ESC > Mod Stuff).

As for the ARs GL, I'd say having the bouncy grenades is more useful than impact based ones, but I can change it to impact for a few versions and see what feedback I get in-game.
Tango

Post by Tango »

awesome to see an official thread :D I've been using this pretty frequently whenever I play doom in the last few years; you've done an awesome job on this. has anyone made any maps specifically for this mod before?
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Hey, glad you like it.

Honestly, I have no idea. If there are maps out there, I haven't been around to see them.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

I played a lot in this mod during multiplayer! That's a good thing that we have an official thread on this mod, congrats and good luck!
Lazorinc

Re: OFFICIAL Complex DooM Thread (Nov 26 Hotfix)

Post by Lazorinc »

Good to see a thread like this is up and running, because I’ve had a question for the longest time. Is there any reason that most of the reloadable weapons (Handgun, Assault Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, etc.) reload with one bullet less than max when reloaded from empty? Has it not been brought up before, or is it a feature?
sturmtruppen141

Post by sturmtruppen141 »

Great decision on updating it again sire, this is such a great mod together with the LCA .it's a perfect match like an ice cream and a cone nvm about that hope you keep updating it and also looking forward for new set monsters, i know there's an LCA for that but you know it would be good to have a run with hardcore monsters but not on the same level with the leg monsters.. more power sire!
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Lazorinc wrote:Good to see a thread like this is up and running, because I’ve had a question for the longest time. Is there any reason that most of the reloadable weapons (Handgun, Assault Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, etc.) reload with one bullet less than max when reloaded from empty? Has it not been brought up before, or is it a feature?
It's intentional, had a ton of confused players about it, heh. It's known as one in the chamber. If you notice when reloading from empty on one of the weapons that has it, its slightly different from reloading with ammo currently loaded. (ie the assault rifle reloaded from empty, Doomguy will pull the charging handle back, with ammo loaded he doesnt).

Though it is a bit goofy on the likes of the RL and GL, I always kept it in because more shots are better. :lol:
Chainsaw Melee

Post by Chainsaw Melee »

Hi Daedalus, big thank you for that update.
I got an idea here, I think icons for Weapon upgrades and perks should be changed, am still thinking about the weapon upgrade ones but for perks you could use DooM 64 Megasphere (The one with DooM Guy's helmet), as it reassembles our hero and gives him extra "Powers" , i know it's just cosmetic stuff but current icons look kinda out of place. I always liked that everything in Complex was DooMish and fitting together like a jigsaw puzzle. I mean, spheres never tell you how the work you just memorize them, you could use different colors for different perks. As for weapon upgrade icons, maybe rocket ammo boxes with pictograph of weapon they upgrade.
edypagaza
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by edypagaza »

im glad you're back daed
i thought u was dead for all these baddons lol

Return to “Gameplay Mods”