Factotum [16/10/19] Survival

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Factotum [16/10/19] Survival

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey guys, me here. In this thread, i would like to present a very simple and experimental mod.

The name comes from the expression that refers to somebody that does (or at least think that does) many kinds of jobs. This mod uses lots of ideas and gameplay factors that i wanted to add in other mods, but turned down before the time.
Spoiler: HOW TO PLAY AND WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW, PLEASE READ ME:
Spoiler: Videos
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: Add-ons
DOWNLOAD LINK:

DOWNLOAD

Factotum: Arrange Mode

You think Factotum is kinda easy yet? Let me present you a different take on this game, then.
No Plasma Cannon to save you. Weapon parts are harder to drop. 5.56mm weapons spawn in Plasma Rifle and BFG9000 spots. Ammo is harder to get. Repair kits are scarcer. Think you can handle it?

DOWNLOAD

Factotum: SURVIVAL

The ultimate sadistic experience with Factotum. Thought Arrange Mode was hard? Try this one. Have fun!
Spoiler: Factotum Survival Changelog
DOWNLOAD

Have fun!
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 76 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: Factotum (WIP/Playable Beta)

Post by -Ghost- »

Interesting idea! I like the look of the weapons, uniform in style but all nice looking sprites. Are you going for a System Shock sort of durability/upgrade system for the weapons?

The degrading colors are a little counter-intuitive, since it feels weird for green to be lower than blue, but that's more a general gameplay trope than anything.
mutator

Post by mutator »

is there reloading feature in this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

mutator wrote:is there reloading feature in this?
It seems not. Jams, incidentally, don't take as long to "clear" as more realism-minded mods/games; at worst, you'll have to re-press the trigger on the SMG if its durability gets to be a bit poor.

My big complaint here is that it's rather unclear that the inventory bar needs to be used, since there is no indicator on the HUD for it at all.
superdupertrooper

Post by superdupertrooper »

sorry for the dumb question but how do i repair the weapons? im not entirely sure if the repair kits are supposed to show up in my inventory or if im supposed to bind a key for it
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

GAA1992 wrote:...
I already wrote about this, but you need to fix decal blast1, if you use it. :)
Lime

Post by Lime »

Nice Concept of a weapon mod. There's a small chance for me to think the style is Vanilla from how it goes.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

@-Ghost-

I never played System Shock, so i don't know how it works :p

@mutator

I do intend to implement.

@wildweasel

i will work on better animations and solutions to both those problems.

@superdupertrooper

use the inventory key bound on "Customize Controls", and cycle through your items. Each repair parts have a number corresponding to their slot weapon.

@Doomenator

Sure thing. i'll get to look at that.

@Lime

If i work constantly on this mod, which is more a experimental work other than anything, it'll get no more than a "Enhanced Vanilla" we are so tired of. With some crucial differences, of course.

I just wanted to share this idea. I am actually not working it, but you guys are totally free to leave feedback. In the meanwhile, there are higher grounds to be covered now. :p
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

What mappack is being used in those screenshots?
Deii

Post by Deii »

Well, it's a nice idea. The accuracy about how many rounds it takes to bust up a gun in adverse conditions checks out for the most part - now all it really needs to pull that off is also feature failures to eject, failures to feed, firing out of battery, jamming so hard you need to kick the charging handle in order for it to run again, blowing up on your face...

Thanks for sharing it with us. It gives the game a bit of a survilval horror element, as slight as it may be. :)
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Heh, minor nitpick by my gun nut brain, that smg is actually an FR Ordnance MC-51, basically a cut down G3 around the size of an MP5 made for the SAS in the 80's, they only used it for a brief period before dropping it in exchange for the HK53 due to it having way too much recoil. Probably better to list it as rifle, battle rifle, or carbine.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey, thanks! The only thing I've altered in the pickup/display sprite is the magazine size, but if it's still the same gun, that's impressive, considering it was on a demo file for resident evil. The names of all weapons are fictional, but I'll be sure to change their descriptions on pickups. Thanks!
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

GAA1992 wrote:Considering it was on a demo file for resident evil.
Knew I recognized it from somewhere, It's cut content specifically from Resident Evil 2, apparently they wanted hand grenades in the game too at one point.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

GAA1992 wrote:The names of all weapons are fictional
speaking about that, is the shotgun's name a reference to a meme?
edit: i just read the pistol's name again, god damn it :D. still don't get the rifle's reference tho
Last edited by LossForWords on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Yes. A brazilian meme :p (i did that because i remembered Mossberg shotguns).

The pistol and the rifle as well, though they're kinda hard to understand. :v

Return to “Gameplay Mods”