[WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.7c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoukDouk

[WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.7c

Post by DoukDouk »

DOWNLOAD 0.7c HERE

Sun Damage Omen is a breakneck mod that transforms Doom 2 into a dark, gritty, adrenaline-fueled madhouse, inspired by the likes of games such as BUTCHER and Chronicles of Riddick, and movies like Aliens and Terminator. It's a mod that strives for simple streamlined gameplay that still packs one hell of a punch, more a refinement of Doom's gameplay rather than an extension.

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
FEATURES
  • No hitscan. Good riddance. Everything bullet related is a fast projectile now.
  • Faster and harder. Everything wants you dead even worse than before. Fortunately, now you're also a speed maniac.
  • Beefy, bloody weapons. Everything in your gore-soaked arsenal packs a real wallop now. You'll be spoiled after playing this.
  • Visceral, smooth gameplay. No weapons unique to certain classes. No clumsy, confusing upgrades. No mercy. Any mistake is your own. Show them what you're made of.
  • Alt-fire for a swift kick. Great finisher for lower-tier enemies or as an emergency "get the fuck off me" button.
FAQ
Spoiler:
TO-DO LIST
Spoiler:
CHANGELOG
Spoiler:
CREDITS
Spoiler:
OLD VERSIONS
Spoiler:
Last edited by DoukDouk on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.3 Alpha Release

Post by Matt »

I am thoroughly enjoying the aesthetics and flow of this mod.

The sound for the revenant rocket in flight is perfect.

Can we get Ye Mighty Boote for the buzzsaw just for consistency's sake?

(also the origin of the mod name makes it even better)
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i will admit the "edginess" aesthetic can be a bit grating when playing w/ it but besides that its really dang solid feeling! gj!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The trailer got me hyped. I'll download this now.
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

Thank you everyone!! I know it can be a loud and rowdy mod, but that's the way I like it.

Mighty boot will be added to the SHREDDER in the next update.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Holy mother, i'm impressed.

This has everything to be sucessful!

Any mod that throws a shotgun start in my face gets my attention, but this is very, very well done.

Solid rock job. Approved and still playing.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Is there a weapon that uses Cells in this mod? Otherwise it'd be a waste of that ammo type in my opinion.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The edginess I feel is exactly right - very much the spirit of the original Quake (if sped up a bit).

(Forgot to mention: I really like how you got both the following right:
1. armed zombies and player shoot the same (or at least apparently the same) projectiles out of the same guns (even if the shotgunguy still gets a nerf)
2. the zombies shoot visibly moving projectiles that are still a challenge to dodge)

One possible suggestion for the Gatling and Propulsor: make them both use cells (the Propulsor taking 24 per shot so you still get 25 shots for 600 ammo), and the Gatling be an energy weapon (with the possible excuse that each barrel needs time to build up charge or something so it is physically impossible to have a rapid-fire version of this weapon without rotating multiple barrels).

Might I suggest making the side lightning from the Propulsor beam last a bit longer? I didn't even notice they were there until I tried shooting it while in freeze mode.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Your weapons are pretty much all NMN's work, as they're the well known Stomper guns.
Also, the code in Final Doomer is done by me, not Sgt. Shivers.
You should update your credits accordingly.

Apart from that, looks pretty cool.
DoukDouk

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.5 Alpha Release

Post by DoukDouk »

Yholl wrote:Your weapons are pretty much all NMN's work, as they're the well known Stomper guns.
Also, the code in Final Doomer is done by me, not Sgt. Shivers.
You should update your credits accordingly.

Apart from that, looks pretty cool.
I did credit NMN for his weapon sprites and HUD graphics under his real name (as he requested in an email whether somebody should use his resources) but I apologize about not giving you proper credit! Fixed credits. And thank you!
Vaecrius wrote:The edginess I feel is exactly right - very much the spirit of the original Quake (if sped up a bit).

(Forgot to mention: I really like how you got both the following right:
1. armed zombies and player shoot the same (or at least apparently the same) projectiles out of the same guns (even if the shotgunguy still gets a nerf)
2. the zombies shoot visibly moving projectiles that are still a challenge to dodge)

One possible suggestion for the Gatling and Propulsor: make them both use cells (the Propulsor taking 24 per shot so you still get 25 shots for 600 ammo), and the Gatling be an energy weapon (with the possible excuse that each barrel needs time to build up charge or something so it is physically impossible to have a rapid-fire version of this weapon without rotating multiple barrels).

Might I suggest making the side lightning from the Propulsor beam last a bit longer? I didn't even notice they were there until I tried shooting it while in freeze mode.
Thank you so much! After some consideration (and testing on some more maps) it's true that the gatling gun using clip ammo is kind of unfitting. Originally I wanted some sort of Quake-like balance of there to be a machinegun and super-machinegun that use the same ammo, but it's clear after playing a few maps that sometimes it doesn't work very well with other map creator's original intentions.

I have uploaded a new version of the mod that addresses these problems and a few other ones. Here's the full changelog:
Spoiler:
You can download the new version in the OP!
Last edited by DoukDouk on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

DoukDouk wrote:I did credit NMN
Pfft, whoops, how the hell did I miss that? Especially as I was specifically going through them. Sorry about that, hahahaha, I must've been half asleep or something.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Good mod, gonna play it with some gothic-themed wads
Lime

Post by Lime »

:rock: Dang! This is one of the Best Mods that makes my Blood Pumping! Good Job! :rock:
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

This fast paced mod is very promising for me, I'll try to give it a go!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

There's some really good feedback going on from the weapons' sounds and animations. Aesthetically it fits together really well, and I'm kind of surprised how well the enemies' pain flashes work for hit-confirmation. I just wish the bigger monsters also had that (but for enemies like the arch-vile, that might mess with balance unless you can figure out how to make it work without cranking his pain chance up).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”