Karnak - Gameplay Mod for Heretic/Hexen/Deathkings

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Karnak - Gameplay Mod for Heretic/Hexen/Deathkings

Postby ImpieTwo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 am

GET IT HERE!

Basically here's a fun excuse to binge your Heretic and Hexen mapsets again.

Karnak is a gameplay mod series that changes Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen: Deathkings into a sci-fi and sorcery epic. You play Maa’hes, rightful king of the lion-headed centauroids known as the Leonids, the dominant species on planet Karnak.

KARNAK – For Heretic. The Beast King Marduk has come from a galaxy far, far away to conquer Karnak and the rest of the Khepri System. Using a combination of guns, magic, and brute strength, Maa’hes slays his way through 5 episodes to save Karnak and rid the cosmos of Marduk’s taint forever.

KARNAK 2 – For Hexen. After a lengthy inter-dimensional campaign, Maa’hes finally returns to his homeworld, only to find it on the brink of holocaust: a creature known as the Defiler is posing as the god of the Crimson Order, pushing the red-robed cultists to amass an unstoppable legion. Play as Maa’hes, Gilgamesh, or Ren and stop the Defiler’s followers.

KARNAK: SCOURGE OF ABYDOS – For Hexen: Deathkings. Maa’hes returns to Memphis to reclaim his birthright…and is promptly thrown in a cell for impersonating a monarch. His only chance to fulfill his destiny as ruler of Karnak is to stop the Dark Lord Nergal, dictator of Abydos, from poisoning the river and subjugating the leonid people.

Weapons
Spoiler:

Enemies
Spoiler:
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImpieTwo
Banned User

Re: Karnak - Heretic Mod

Postby AvzinElkein » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:28 am

Okay, things didn't turn out quite right... http://i.imgur.com/DW4lKzv.png
Last edited by wildweasel on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Screenshot too large. Because shrinking it in my usual way would make it unreadable, I've converted it to a clickable URL instead. Please read the Image Posting Rules!
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinTW#6569
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby ImpieTwo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:40 am

Yeah that shouldn't have happened. I know I fixed that RedPuff thing already. Lemme check again.

EDIT: I dunno how this stuff wasn't causing errors for me. Fixed now, and uploading 1.1 in the next ten minutes.

Also would you mind putting spoiler tags around that screenshot? I put some around my giant pics since I forgot.
ImpieTwo
Banned User

Postby AvzinElkein » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 pm

My apologies.
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinTW#6569
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby TechnoDoomed1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Seems very good! It has a rather polished look and has a certain intriguing feeling. I'll give it a playtest tonight and tell you my impression. :twisted:

It's rare to find Heretic content, to be honest. Well, rarer than Doom at least.
TechnoDoomed1

Postby ImpieTwo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 pm

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:It's rare to find Heretic content, to be honest. Well, rarer than Doom at least.

Yeah, especially when it's so much fun to mod for, so it turns out.

I've started modding it because I always felt the gameplay was tedious compared to the other Doom engine games. Hopefully this mod fixes that a little bit.
ImpieTwo
Banned User

Postby mekanchest » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:26 pm

hey nice mod you made this time, before you released the game i made my own version of the protagonist of your mod
mekanchest

Postby Hipnotic Rogue » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:32 am

Nice! I really like your work and I love Heretic. I guess that's my Saturday taken care of! :)
Hipnotic Rogue

Postby Expect No Mercy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:56 am

Nice to see a new Heretic gameplay mod. Like the Idea of it. :thumb:
Expect No Mercy

Postby drfrag » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:12 am

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:It's rare to find Heretic content, to be honest. Well, rarer than Doom at least.

True but a few have been just released lately (including mine). I still need to try this one.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby TechnoDoomed1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:39 am

drfrag wrote:

True but a few have been just released lately (including mine). I still need to try this one.

Yeah, and there's also that Heretic chapter wad with inmense quality which I don't remember the name right now, but comparing with the amount of A+ quality doom wads, it's not the same.
TechnoDoomed1

Postby ImpieTwo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

mekanchest wrote:hey nice mod you made this time, before you released the game i made my own version of the protagonist of your mod

lol That's pretty cool. He looks like an action figure from the 80s.
ImpieTwo
Banned User

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:14 am

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude :shock:

you just took everything I found stupid and offputting about the Heretic setting and replaced it with awesome

can't wait to put this on autoload
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby TechnoDoomed1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:51 am

Took longer than I thought to try it out. I must say that once I started E1M1 I was in awe, it's certainly got an egyptian vibe, and it nails it. 8-) The new monsters are fun to play against, though maybe a little on the easy side (I'd buff both the Crimson Witches and the Bruisers, they ought to resist more damage). As a partial conversion for Heretic, it's pretty good. Now, there are some things I'd like to see addressed.

- BUG: Jackalmen are missing a sound for when they melee attack you.
- SUGGESTION: Leonid soldiers' pain sound is not differentiated enough from other sounds, like your weapon's.
- SUGGESTION: I'd be cool if more menacing sound effects were given to monsters, to give an impression of being not-as-powerful. Right now, playing through the game makes you feel very overpowered. Even subtle things like this would help a little.
- SUGGESTION: Buff monster health, specially Crimson Witches and Leonid Bruisers.
- IDEA: Considering all monster replacements seem to be done in Decorate, why stick to the restraints of vanilla gameplay? Altfire for weapons and more monster variety (Heretic is very limited in this sense, and the mod's lacking a proper Clink replacement) would add a lot of depth.

Overall, I'm liking it so far. Congrats on a job well done! :wink:
TechnoDoomed1

Postby TerminusEst13 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:47 am

Really interesting stuff! Heretic gameplay mods are a bit of a rarity and I'm always fond of them.
This really goes above and beyond in giving Heretic a new sheen of paint--putting in custom textures and music was a really nice touch. :D

...boy that melee feels really slow, though!
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods