Prisoner 849 (v1.1 uploaded)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Prisoner 849 (v1.1 uploaded)

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm not really a modder, but after some asking around here in the forums and some reading in the wiki I'm able to tweak and edit existing mods for my personal taste to some extent.
I've always been a fan of the original Unreal and of course Doom. Unfortunately I never found any Unreal mods for Doom until recently when I stumbled upon Prisoner849 by Gezzdt. But like he said himself:
i must admit, the unreal gameplay doesn't fit the doom environment

But since I wanted to play with the Unreal weapons I sat down for hours and days and tweaked and tested the weapons to fit the Doom gameplay. So with great help from Gezzdt and with his permission here it is:

Download:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Story:
Looks like the UAC and their portals also created some wormholes. Suddenly the Vortex Rikers is teleported into the Mars orbit and crashes near the UAC facility. You are the only survivor, Prisoner 849. But you are not free yet. There don't seem to be any humans, except for many mutilated corpses lying around. The whole place is swarming with strange creatures, monsters and zombies. Luckily you found a Dispersion Pistol and an Automag on your way out of the crashed ship. You are determined to find a way out of this mess and finally be free even if you have to go through hell.

Weapons:
Dispersion Pistol - A weak recharging energy weapon. The secondary fire can be charged and if you find enough upgrades you can turn that thing into a slow but quite powerful weapon.

Automag - A high caliber semi-automatic pistol with a decent rate of fire. Ammo is plentiful and since it's not just a pea-shooter you can kill weaker enemies with ease. The secondary fire mode is basically the same as the primary, you just hold the gun sideways which makes it very inaccurate but can be useful in some situations.

Stinger - A weapon that fires sharp crystals. The primary fire mode fires 5 crystals at once. It's not as powerful as a shotgun but can fire in rapid succession. The secondary fire mode shoots one crystal at a time and is full automatic.

Flak Cannon - A quite powerful but slow weapon that fires flak shells. The primary mode turns the shells into dangerous shrapnels. Be careful with this weapon because the shrapnels bounce off walls and can hurt you, but if you're skilled enough you can shoot around corners. The secondary fire mode fires the complete shell which explodes on impact.

8Ball - A small, powerful but very slow rocketlauncher. You can load the barrels with up to 6 rockets. The secondary fire mode is a grenade launcher which can also fire 6 grenades at once.

ASMD - An energy weapon with a nice twist. The primary fire is like a weak railgun. The secondary fire shoots an energy orb that can deflect enemy projectiles or you can shoot the orb with the primary fire to create a small explosion.

Minigun - Not to different from the Doom chaingun and with a decent spread. The secondary mode fires much faster but has also a bigger spread.

Razor Jack - Fires sharp blades that can bounce off walls, so again careful not to hurt yourself. But just like with the flak cannon shrapnels you can shoot around corners. The secondary fire mode is a laserguided blade that follows your aim.

Bio Rifle - Fires a green, glowing ooze that seems to be poisonous or caustic. The ooze will stick on walls and will create a small explosion after a few seconds. With the secondary fire more ooze can be pumped into the chamber.

Sniper Rifle - An extremely powerful and absolutely precise rifle. It can kill a Baron of Hell with 3 shots but the weapon and ammo is rare. Has a very good zoom.

Credits:
Spoiler:

Known bugs:
In some version of GZDoom the aiming of some weapons is not correct.
Last edited by SoundOfDarkness on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
SoundOfDarkness
Offering translation help for Wolfenstein based mods

Re: Prisoner 849

Postby Aerosplinter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Nice Job! This mod really shows great potential. Although if you want, you could add a NOAUTOFIRE flag to the pistol.
Aerosplinter
Creator of the Smash (Randomizer) Bros. Doom Mod

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 am

There is no point whatsoever in adding such a flag to the pistol except to make things more "comfy doom" like.

Anyway, re: the mod itself as it is: YES. ALL the nostalgia feels. What with the new portals and dynamic light handling and ZScript being able to get some Skaarj-like behaviour out of the imps this can definitely go places... *_*
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Valherran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 am

This is slightly better than the original, but to accommodate Doom, there is a lot of tweaks that still need to be made. I have a list for you here:

1. Minigun - This weapon is way too effective to be a Chaingun slot spawn, it should be placed in the Plasma Rifle spawn. Also, Chaingun Zombies need to not be dropping this weapon, they should drop the Stinger instead.

2. Stinger - With the Minigun change, you should restore the original primary fire. This weapon should now be dropping from the Chaingun Zombies, and not be dropping from the Shotgun Zombies.

3. Automag - Would be great if you could reload the clip at any time instead of waiting for it to empty. Restoring the alt-fire would be great too, it had its uses.

4. Bio-Rifle - The secondary attack damage is still screwed up from the other MOD, it still only does the same damage as the single shot when it should be hitting like a BFG shot.

5. 8-Ball - This weapon still sucks, it needs a major damage buff if it's gonna be that slow.

6. ASMD - This weapon should spawn in the shotgun slots. Shotgun Zombies should drop ammo for this instead. Or an alternative, let this spawn in the SSG slot, and have the Shotgun Zombies drop flak ammo. Also it would be nice if you could add in the explosion effect for when you hit the energy ball with the beam so we know that we set off the nova blast.

7. Razor-Jack - The alt-fire on this is weird, if you stand in one place the bolts you fire will eventually come back at you somehow. Alt-fire would be better if the blades simply traveled faster and dealt more damage at the cost of no bouncing.

8. D-Pistol - It would be better if you let this thing regenerate at a steady amount til it's full no matter how much ammo you are holding.

9. Flak Cannon - Both fire modes could use a small damage buff.
Valherran

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 am

Valherran wrote:1. Minigun - This weapon is way too effective to be a Chaingun slot spawn, it should be placed in the Plasma Rifle spawn. Also, Chaingun Zombies need to not be dropping this weapon, they should drop the Stinger instead.

The damage of the Minigun and of the Stinger per crystal is exactly the same. So since the Stinger fires more accurate in full auto as the Minigun it would be even more effective than the Minigun is now. I felt the Minigun was to weak and raised the damage just a bit based on other weapon mods. And don't forget that the Chaingun as well as the Minigun is supposed to be used for large groups of enemies. :wink:

Valherran wrote:3. Automag - Would be great if you could reload the clip at any time instead of waiting for it to empty. Restoring the alt-fire would be great too, it had its uses.

Like I said, I'm not really a modder. To be honest I was thinking about removing the reload animation totally because I'm not a fan of reloading in Doom, but I don't know how. And the alt fire was pretty much useless in my opinion. It was just the typical, stupid 90's "gangsta" style of shooting which just looks stupid and is inaccurate as hell.

Valherran wrote:4. Bio-Rifle - The secondary attack damage is still screwed up from the other MOD, it still only does the same damage as the single shot when it should be hitting like a BFG shot.

The fully charged shot does more damage but not much more. Maybe I'll change that.

Valherran wrote:5. 8-Ball - This weapon still sucks, it needs a major damage buff if it's gonna be that slow.

That's why it's in the weapon order even before the ASMD or the Minigun. But I already tweaked it a bit more and it kills a Baron of Hell in 5 direct hits now.

Valherran wrote:6. ASMD - This weapon should spawn in the shotgun slots. Shotgun Zombies should drop ammo for this instead. Or an alternative, let this spawn in the SSG slot, and have the Shotgun Zombies drop flak ammo. Also it would be nice if you could add in the explosion effect for when you hit the energy ball with the beam so we know that we set off the nova blast.

The weapon is too powerful to put it in a shotgun slot. Especially the orb since it can be fired rather quickly. And if you manage to pull off the right timing for the combo fire, nova blast, shock blast (or whatever you want to call it ) the damage is massive.

Valherran wrote:7. Razor-Jack - The alt-fire on this is weird, if you stand in one place the bolts you fire will eventually come back at you somehow. Alt-fire would be better if the blades simply traveled faster and dealt more damage at the cost of no bouncing.

That's why you have to be careful. :wink: I'm thinking about removing the alt fire since it doesn't make much sense.

Valherran wrote:8. D-Pistol - It would be better if you let this thing regenerate at a steady amount til it's full no matter how much ammo you are holding.

If I knew how maybe I would.

Valherran wrote:9. Flak Cannon - Both fire modes could use a small damage buff.

I know it makes a little less damage than the Doom super shotgun but that's just to prevent the player from accidentally killing himself with one misplaced shot. Even a minor hit takes 40 HP of the player right now.

My primary goal was to make the Unreal weapons more useful with the fast paced Doom gameplay without over-powering them. Not as easy as it sounds.

Vaecrius wrote:What with the new portals and dynamic light handling and ZScript being able to get some Skaarj-like behaviour out of the imps this can definitely go places... *_*

Yes, that would be awesome. I suggest using a mod with more aggressive enemies like "Brutal Doom Monsters Only". It would be perfect if someone could actually make an Unreal mod that brings the Skaarj and all other enemies into Doom. But that has to be done someone with way more knowledge in modding than me.
SoundOfDarkness

Re: Prisoner 849 (v1.1 uploaded)

Postby Gezzdt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:45 am

You can reload the Automag by switching weapons like in Unreal.
The Razofrjack Altfire is a laserguided blade that follows your aim.
Gezzdt

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:37 am

Whoops, didn't know that and didn't realize since I barely used it.
SoundOfDarkness

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 am

Valherran wrote:8. D-Pistol - It would be better if you let this thing regenerate at a steady amount til it's full no matter how much ammo you are holding.

A constant recharging rate has been added to both versions. Thanks to Gezzdt. :thumb:
SoundOfDarkness

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

Automag altfire is useful when you're suddenly stuck in close quarters with a single quickly-moving target (say, a Skaarj) and spamming not-very-precise hitscans is the best way to guarantee damage but it's not quite worth breaking out the minigun... I'd personally prefer erring in favour of being faithful to the Unreal behaviour and only fixing/rebalancing things that are really, clearly, obviously broken or unworkable in Doom. (e.g. headshots - but even then IIRC Unreal simply checked height of impact, not a separate hitbox?)
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Rachael » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

I kind of have to agree with Vaecrius here. Unreal has its own special balance system and while it may not be Doom's it was never meant to emulate Doom's, either. It kind of destroys the "unreal"-ness of it not to try and at least somewhat more closely mimic Unreal's behavior with the weapons.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

So you guys want the Automag alt-fire back? Ok, since most of you liked it I will put it back in, but not today. I'm dead tired and my sleep disorder isn't really helpful.
SoundOfDarkness

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Nice to see this mod getting revived!

he Automag sprites still get cut off during the reload animation in widescreen resolutions, though. :?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Gabbuz85 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Perhaps you may also add the 3 extra weapons from RTNP expansion.
Gabbuz85
Brrrains...

Postby SoundOfDarkness » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:37 am

By popular demand the alt-fire for the Automag is back in both versions.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:The Automag sprites still get cut off during the reload animation in widescreen resolutions, though. :?

I know, in the original Unreal the Automag goes partly offscreen during that animation. I guess it's because the original was never considered for widescreens. I don't know if that can be fixed with the existing sprites.

Gabbuz85 wrote:Perhaps you may also add the 3 extra weapons from RTNP expansion.

Unfortunately I couldn't do it even if I had the sprites for those weapons. My mod is just tweaked version of the mod by Gezzdt.
SoundOfDarkness

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 am

I do own Unreal Gold and I can play it on a widescreen resolution without any problem. :?

Maybe you could just scrap the reload animation or have it replaced with a Goldeneye-style reload?
JohnnyTheWolf

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods