WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

WW-Cola3 [v2.5 bugfix release, 5/31/2019]

Post by wildweasel »

(Cast your vote here!)

Screenshots!
Spoiler:
Cola 3 is a sequel to an unfinished sequel to a really old early-GZDoom mod of mine, The Adventures of Mister Cola. The original mod was a basic set of weapons that all had powered-up versions that'd enable when you found a six pack of cola. The sequel gave weapons gradual (albeit uninteresting) upgrades that came from, of all things, health pickups. Both, I'd argue, were missteps in the realm of gameplay and theme.

Nowadays, though, I felt like randomly giving the concept a third try, using the basic gameplay of Cave Story as inspiration. In Cola3, you have a small selection of weapons that have infinite ammo (with reloading because damn it I like reloading), but every enemy drops a pile of "cola bubbles" that fill that weapon's upgrade bar. Each weapon has 3 upgrade levels, with significant behavior changes (so it's not like cola2 where it just boosts damage). However, you must take care not to get hit, as taking hits reduces your weapon's upgrade bar, and you can lose levels this way.

Weapons and Items
Spoiler:
The Credits
Spoiler:

Enough Already, Let's Try It Out
Don't worry, it's still 100% free to download, I'm not selling it or anything, but if you feel like giving me a little donation as thanks, you may do that now.
Pancaked

Re: WW-Cola3 [early access][wip]

Post by Pancaked »

Fun wad! The shotguns are really enjoyable! The only gripe i have is that the weapons should automaticly reload :/
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Pancaked wrote:Fun wad! The shotguns are really enjoyable! The only gripe i have is that the weapons should automaticly reload :/
Yeah I figure I'll add the mandatory autoreload and recoil adjustment settings once all the guns are in and (mostly) final for behavior/animation
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Unexpected sequel you've come up with here, weasel. I quite liked the previous Mister Cola wads and this looks like a more interesting take on them. Can't wait to see you remake Operation Mjolnir or the Stranger one day.

Anyways, time to break out the list:
  • The coke pickups don't seem to do anything for now. Are the items not implemented yet or will they be fully functional later on?
  • The shotgun reloading's a bit buggered - firing the left shotgun while reloading both will only show the left shotgun.
  • I see you're taking the Psychic route with the weapons having infinite ammo and upgrades, albeit with reloads. The Piledriver even reminds me of the Needlegun.
  • As for the last two weapon replacements maybe include a gatling Roman Candle launcher (plasma rifle) and bowling ball cannon (BFG) like the ones from Sunset Overdrive.
  • Will Mentos be included as a powerup or something? :mrgreen:
And one last thing...
Spoiler:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:The coke pickups don't seem to do anything for now. Are the items not implemented yet or will they be fully functional later on?
The regular HP Cola cans restore health; if you're full, you can't pick them up. The ones replacing the soulsphere, megasphere, and berserk pack should all be pickupable 100% of the time.
The shotgun reloading's a bit buggered - firing the left shotgun while reloading both will only show the left shotgun.
The dual shotguns probably have some nasty bugs hidden deep within; I know they can be broken if you're mashing the buttons, but I can't quite figure out where the break in the code is.
I see you're taking the Psychic route with the weapons having infinite ammo and upgrades, albeit with reloads. The Piledriver even reminds me of the Needlegun.
I didn't realize until I'd finished making it that it basically was Psychic's needle gun. Hopefully though, my upgrade path (and reloading) differentiates it.
As for the last two weapon replacements maybe include a gatling Roman Candle launcher (plasma rifle) and bowling ball cannon (BFG) like the ones from Sunset Overdrive.
I haven't played Sunset Overdrive, but the bowling ball cannon reminds me of an old idea I never quite realized back in the EDGE days...
Will Mentos be included as a powerup or something? :mrgreen:
Assuming I can wrangle the right graphics and particle effect, that might be what the missile launcher winds up firing. I lack resources at the moment, though, so right now it just fires Doom rockets (with the particle effects lifted out of ww-doomnukem because I felt like it).
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

For being so early in development this is working great!
There's not much I have a problem with for the implemented items, but there are a few.

-The fact that I have to constantly adjust for the recoil is bothersome. Even if that's gonna stay why have the shotguns end up lowering your view instead of raising it? And their reload raises it a bit?
-Is it possible to not have the health packs targeted by autoaim? It's annoying trying to shoot an enemy and accidentally detonate a needed health pack.
-It seemed a bit too easy to level up the weapons, unless I'm that much better at dodging the others, it seems rare to lose a level on a weapon and I maxed out all of them by Map Six of stock Doom 2. Adding two more weapons to it doesn't seem like it'll take much longer to cap them all.

It's nice so far, keep flooding the world with Cola!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

isaacpop23 wrote:-The fact that I have to constantly adjust for the recoil is bothersome. Even if that's gonna stay why have the shotguns end up lowering your view instead of raising it? And their reload raises it a bit?
Because I must have miscalculated the pitch in a few places. I'll look into it when I'm in the mood for math.
-Is it possible to not have the health packs targeted by autoaim? It's annoying trying to shoot an enemy and accidentally detonate a needed health pack.
Oh, phew, there's a +NotAutoAimed flag I can put on them. I'll go add that right away. I don't usually play with autoaim enabled, so thanks for that observation.
-It seemed a bit too easy to level up the weapons, unless I'm that much better at dodging the others, it seems rare to lose a level on a weapon and I maxed out all of them by Map Six of stock Doom 2. Adding two more weapons to it doesn't seem like it'll take much longer to cap them all.
Yeah that's why there's the big ol' disclaimer about this not being balanced; all the values are really temporary and I really have to think carefully about how I'm going to make sure that the player actually stands a chance of losing levels without constantly punishing them down to zero if they take any damage at all.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The file has been updated with the following major changes:

- Doomguy hands have been excised and replaced with new ones. This took me far, far, far, far longer than it should have.
- The player now starts with a pistol on slot 1 in addition to the shotgun. It is fast to fire and reload, very accurate, and easy to level, but is not very strong at first. Thanks to Captain J and Sketchfab modelers daniel132 and Paul C for the graphics used. Sounds are temporary and will be replaced at some point.
- Soda cans should not be auto-aimed at anymore.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Huh, this is pretty awesome as it's expected from you. Have you considered making the BFG a gun that works in reverse, by the way? As in, it starts at level 3 but gets weaker the more cola bubbles you collect while holding and gets stronger with the more damage you take. If I'm not mistaken, there's a gun in Cave Story that works the same way.

Also, while I like the current appearance of the HUD, I think it's a bit cluttered at the sides. Any chances of a simpler one?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Deii wrote:Huh, this is pretty awesome as it's expected from you. Have you considered making the BFG a gun that works in reverse, by the way? As in, it starts at level 3 but gets weaker the more cola bubbles you collect while holding and gets stronger with the more damage you take. If I'm not mistaken, there's a gun in Cave Story that works the same way.

Also, while I like the current appearance of the HUD, I think it's a bit cluttered at the sides. Any chances of a simpler one?
The BFG, whatever I wind up putting there, is probably going to act a bit like the Spur. I was also tempted to turn the deck of cards into the "nemesis" of the mod, but I feel like that might be a dick move.

What's "cluttered" about the HUD, though? I've been trying to keep it to only the necessary things, but maybe I should make a version that contains the same elements but is Doom-scale instead, just in case there's some weird player out there running a resolution smaller than 800x600.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Oh boy, now I can get addicted to this instead of coke.

Nice mod though, looks very promising. :)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Even at 800x600 the HUD does take up a significant portion of the screen. Also, the shotguns are OP compared to the pistol and Piledriver, and the reloading is still buggy. Maybe just start with the pistol and buff the Piledriver's damage?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:Even at 800x600 the HUD does take up a significant portion of the screen. Also, the shotguns are OP compared to the pistol and Piledriver, and the reloading is still buggy. Maybe just start with the pistol and buff the Piledriver's damage?
Yes, balance is going to happen eventually. I'm more concerned with making the weapons function properly first. In regards to the buggy reloading, you might note I said this in reply to your question before:
I wrote:The dual shotguns probably have some nasty bugs hidden deep within; I know they can be broken if you're mashing the buttons, but I can't quite figure out where the break in the code is.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Apologies, cluttered wasn't quite the word I should have used when describing the HUD - but it does take up a lot of space, especially the very neat ammo and level counters. I generally play at 1280x640 windowed and even then I kinda feel that the space on screen is a little bit cramped.
I guess you could say that I like the cola-themed HUD but a version with smaller font and health, armor and power indicators would be just as great.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

HOW REFRESHING! Mixed with level up system together, this mod is fun and easy and usual! As always!

So far, i have no nitpicks and such, i've saw no problems except some graphical issues. I'd like to help with the future graphics if you're interested! My Resource Thread and Teef's Resource Thread has you covered!

Also, i see you used my resources from my thread before. It is an honor, really! Thanks a lot!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”