DISCLAIMER: Compatible with GZDoom, but not ZDoom (due to full-color images and GZDoom rendering effects) or Zandronum. Multiplayer will probably never be a thing for this mod. Sorry. D:
Links [Best not to make you scroll forever to find them]:
- -- Main download @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-ComboPack
-- Patches for iDTech1 games download @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-iDTech1
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (Bloodstain, Deus Vult 1+2, Resurgence, Scythe 2, Switcheroom) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (Going Down, HellBound) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks1
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (PSXDoom, Doom64) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks2
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (Knee Deep in ZDoom, The City of the Damned: Apocalypse, The Ultimate Torment & Torture) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks3
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (Sitnalta & Starship) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks4
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (DUMP[1-3], Epic, Epic2) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks5
-- Compatibility Packs downloads (Happy Time Circus , Happy Time Circus 2, Hell Ground, Strange Aeons, Unloved) @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/DV-DS-CompatPacks6
Ohai there everyone. :V
You might know just a little about me. I'm that goofball who's responsible for what some have called a pretty "crazy" project that plays for Duke Nukem 3D via EDuke32. You might know about "Naferia's Reign: Invasion of the Dark Mistress", this crazy-ass RPG-FPS hybrid modification that adds features like a multiple-character [up to 15] party, enhanced enemy/player interactivity with the environments, a series of RPG-like statistics and inventory systems and whatnot, among other things. Some of you who follow Naferia's Reign might have wondered for some time, why there's been such a tiny amount of progress made on it in the last few years?
Well, see starting in late 2010 events concerning the dying of my old laptop's AC adapter basically lead me to a different and less powerful rig for a bit, where I would mess around a bit with a ZDoom mod known as "DoomSpellV2". Unfortunately the download for DoomSpellV2 came with no text documents or credits to a person, and the original download file has long since dropped off the face of the internet. [so I don't know who I can properly credit for its' existance] D:
The mod had a basic idea though: you kill monsters, get experience points and level up, and you would gain magic spells, 1-2 per level [though you only gained MP and spells, you didn't gain extra HP or other stats], and your magic "rank" changed. Etc. At the time, it was the closest mod I had to have RPG elements [before Thetis's "Wrath of Cronos" and especially Kyle873's "DoomRPG" came into the picture among others]. In a way, most of my ACS training and experience I have to thank to DoomSpellV2.
When my old laptop's AC adapter got replaced, I went back to the laptop and started to remove the hard-link "DoomSpellV2" had with Doom2's maps, and decide to try it out with a harder wad, and Huy "Doom Marine" Pham's "Deus Vult" ended up being the one I drifted to most. As I modded the DoomSpellV2 aspects, I added in more "traditional" RPG things like HP max going up on a level, as well as adding various attributes [Strength/etc], and I began to make a sort of RPG-ified version of the original Deus Vult [the seperated 4 maps, not the combined MAP05 since my old laptop wasn't that strong :V]. Thus the mod's first real "name": "Deus Vult: DoomspellV2 Edition" was made. >.>;
Keep in mind it's been about 6 years now since those initial events. The mod is no longer linked solely to Deus Vult the mapset [or it's sequel mapset as it also had been for a short time], although in it's present state, slightly modified versions of DV1 and DV2's maps come with then as "extra" episode for the Doom version, but the maps' architectures are basically unchanged [more of monster and item placement changes]. More so, two new character classes were added, a more magically oriented marine than the first class, and later when the DV2 stuff was started, a third more "pure-mage" like class, who would essentially become the "face" and main character-class of the mod itself.
So yeah, welcome to "Aetherius", formerly known during it's more beta phases of development as "Deus Vult: DoomSpellV2 Edition" [DV-DS for short].
-- Skill 5 does not turn on fast monsters or respawning monsters by default. The mod options menu has fast access to both options though if you do want to turn either back on. Skill 5 does still make the game harder than Skill 4 in other ways though.
BAT FILE COMMAND LINES:
Assuming you have the proper subdirectories ["DV-DS-ComboPack-master", "DV-DS-CompatPacks-master" and "DV-DS-iDTech1-master" being folders within your main GZDoom folder], make bat files with the following in them [for the main game modes].
The "-master" in the directory names is assuming you're downloading the repos in zip from off the github site, not using a direct client like TortoiseGit to download them. If you are directly using a Git client, you should assume the "-master" suffix in the directories will be absent and alter the command lines accordingly.
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad heretic.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Heretic"
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad hexen.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Hexen"
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad hexdd.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Hexen" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master\HexDD"
Code: Select all
gzdoom.exe -iwad strife1.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Strife"
One other important note is if you're playing in a >4:3 ratio mode, the new HUD will look squished on startup. Go to "Aetherius Options > HUD Options > (NEW) X-Offset (>4:3 Modes)" and set it to "240" or a similar number. The value is how many pixels to the left/right the left and right ends of the HUD will be moved. This is because the new HUD is currently ACS powered (besides the inventory bar), and to be frank, ACS's "SetHudSize" function doesn't support non 4:3 modes, so I had to "cheat" to make it look right w/ larger aspect ratios by adding an extra var to alter things on the left and right sides. Sorry. x.x
WARNING: Have AUTOSAVES enabled for this project to avoid minor breakage on completely fresh death-reloads.
CHANGELOG (Since 6/16/19):
- Stealth-type magic spells replaced by "Attack/Defense/Speed Booster" spells, and "Minor/Major Invulnerability" spells removed for "Minor Fear Aura" and "Minor Raging Spirits", and Invulnerability spell is now a single late-level spell that gives 15 seconds for ~250MP per cast. (6/16/19)
- Removed "Freezing Glyph", added "Minor Time Freezer". (6/16/19)
- Damaging/Killing enemies can make sounds Q3A/QC style. This is an "Misc" option. (6/16/19)
- Damaging/Killing enemies can 'delay' the countdown speed of the EXP Combo meter, giving you more time to get more kills for a better combo. (6/16/19)
- Option for Dynamic Inventory Limits for more challenge. This limits the amount of each type of inventory item based on factors like Level, Strength, Perks, # of backpacks held), etc. Set off by default though. (6/8/18)
- Monsters and other NON-Players can now deal critical hits, both to the player and each other. The same logic [2x damage, defense ignoring, partial armor-ignoring] applies. Some monsters [i.e. Lost Souls, etc] have higher natural crit rates, but other factors affect it as well. Beware. :V (5/19/18)
- Old HUD has finally been removed. Rip Old HUD, you served your role well, but times have to move on. ;_;7 I have been considering a secondary "size" for the now-only HUD leftover, one that's smaller-ish than the current, problem is meter notches don't show properly when in smaller modes. (week of 5/13/18)
- Critical Hits retooled. Deals ~2x damage now instead of ~3x but now ignores the defenses of the monster hit with them [more ZScript related tweaks]. (Oct 1, 2017)
- "Missed!" now shows on the [new] HUD when you successfully evade an attack [this was the intended case with the evasion mechanic, but I had to use ZScript+ACS in junction to finally make the notice appear recently.] (Sept 28-29, 2017)
- "The Ultimate Torment & Torture" compatibility pack added, based on "The Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition" [@ viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57854 ] (Sep 13, 2017)
- Massive update to AI in CompatPacks and Idgames1 repositories. This means monsters in Heretic/Hexen/Strife/other mapsets can use Crisis attacks, etc. (Aug 28, 2017)
- Mod is now prepackaged with GZDoom 2.3.2 [it was 2.3.0 before] :V (Jan 29, 2017)
- New "Tracer Speed [Multiplier]" option to alter the velocity of bullet-tracers. Also tracers' have their default speed doubled [160 from 80]
- Minor tweak to sceptre main attack that should stop possible view jumps when hitting particularly wider enemies. [Hopefully, thanks to SeriousCacodemon for finding this] :V
- Added "Quickspell" display options for both HUDs. (Suggestion by AdmiralAjax)
I'll probably have to update this post in the future with a changelog, and other pieces of relevant information.
Also though I expect the odd critique of my ideas or choice of characters or weapons [NR's gotten various critique of various nature in my past], I'd still appreciate constructive criticism [instead of things like "lol y u suck man" :V] Not that I expect too many people [outside of my beta testers] to give much care about this mod anyways. Gotta freely admit there are many other fast-paced like gameplay mods like Demonsteele or GMOTA people can be playing to instead of this "crappy" mod. Not that I won't admit it'd feel good to know this mod gets interest from some people.