SidDoyle's Mutators - New skies for Dark Doom!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

SidDoyle's Mutators - New skies for Dark Doom!

Post by Josh771 »

SidDoyle's Mutator Thread
I will upload any future mutators here for the ZDoom community to enjoy!

RealAimrealAim.pk3
Adds scripted camera inertia and additional movement bobbing that affect your aim and give your overall movement a less mechanical feeling.

Dark Doomdark_doom.pk3 - Updated 11/28
Screenshots using Dark Doom Black, Dark Doom Flashlight 2.0, and Subdued Lights. Tonemap: Uncharted 2, Bloom: On
ImageImage
Click to enlarge.
Simple scripted mutator that lowers light levels in practically any (G)ZDoom environment.
Dark Doom Litedark_doom_lite.pk3 - Slightly brighter; for enhancing already dark maps. - Updated 11/28
Dark Doom Blackdark_doom_black.pk3 - Complete darkness except for special sectors; flashlight / nightvision required! - Updated 11/28

Dark Doom Flashlight 2.0dd_flashlight2.0.pk3 [Updated 11/26/2016]
Scripted beam flashlight; uses ACS instead of projectiles to instantly place a beam and prevent lag.

Subdued Lightssubdued_lights.pk3
Dynamic light definitions that cover double the area at half brightness (Doom only).

Super Ultimate Realism v1.0superUltRealism_1.0.pk3
The pinnacle of modular realism enhancment mutators; just add this to almost any ZDoom mod or game to bring the experience to the next level! :lol:

Drunk Doomdrunk.pk3
Scripted camera and motion effects that get stronger the higher your health is; this mutator replaces Doom's health pickups with various forms of booze.
Last edited by Josh771 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
Crudux Cruo

Re: SidDoyle's Mutators - RealAim, Dark Doom, and more!

Post by Crudux Cruo »

oh man, this would be awesome for my mod if i can get the booze working!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Crudux Cruo wrote:oh man, this would be awesome for my mod if i can get the booze working!
I could help you write a drunkenness system in ACS instead of basing it on your health. When your character imbibes, we could increase a player-specific element of some array to indicate the alcohol content of that player's blood. The more booze they ingest, the higher the value and the more debilitating the effect on movement and aiming. Of course, the higher that value the more rapidly you could regenerate armor (from 1 pt every 70 tics with a slight buzz to like 1 pt every 18 tics when you're wasted).

It really amuses me, the thought of that horde of mancubi around the corner being grounds for downing a whole bottle of Jack. :P
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

haha, yeah man i was laughing my head off playing around with it and lethal doom at the same time! give yourself a soulsphere and you go whacko!

I've wanted to, for a long time now, make a improved DCDEMO/ICD-SE smoking system as a sort of answer to nature's call. my project seemed like the perfect catalyst, however this could make for a even better vanilla mutator mod.

perhaps we can help each other and release a mod together? I'll tell you my decorate and acs is baloney, but im decent at sprite work, so if we did do something it would be more your mod than mine.
If not, you're still welcome to use my drinking sprites when they're done, if you don't mind changing the beer to whiskey ;p
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Playing the drunk mutator with qtilt and the wobbly shader is insanely hard. And it's even worse when you turn on the lens distortion shader for wobbly shader which seems to have broken a little for the newer GZDoom versions completely fucking peripheral vision. I can barely walk across cat walks because the wobbling keeps throwing me off. :D
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

For anyone who may be interested, I have replaced the old dd_flashlight.pk3 with a current revision. Let me know if you notice any particularly bad glitches or performance issues with it.

I'm considering making a dark_doom_custom.pk3 that would use a server-side cvar to determine how dark to make the maps and perhaps a toggle for making sectors with special lighting effects completely dark as well (if I can figure out how to do that selectively... I'm suspicious that it's not even possible).
Big C

Post by Big C »

If along with that you could make certain sectors brighter and colored (i.e. raise light levels for nukage floored sectors and give them green sector lighting) I would heart you forever. Maybe as a deluxe edition, though---the existing Dark Dooms overwrite the least features in WADs and thus have the widest compatability.

I just really like my PSX/D64 lighting. :P
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Big C wrote:If along with that you could make certain sectors brighter and colored (i.e. raise light levels for nukage floored sectors and give them green sector lighting) I would heart you forever. Maybe as a deluxe edition, though---the existing Dark Dooms overwrite the least features in WADs and thus have the widest compatability.
I really don't think that's even possible. I can only address a sector by tag, so Dark Doom just cycles through a couple thousand tags and drops their sector light levels. I wish I could single out sectors by their textures, behavior, etc. but am pretty certain there just isn't a way. :?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Huh, okay. I coulda sworn Johnny Doom does it, but Hell if I know how.

At any rate, thanks for making this thread and also for the new flashlight!
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Glowy texture lighting is just GLDEF stuff, you can find it in JohnnnyDoom if you ctrl+F and look for "Flats". It makes for a pretty neat effect, really.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Don't even need to pull from JohnnyDoom. Just adding something like this to a GLDEFS entry should do the trick:

Code: Select all

Glow
{
	Flats
	{
		NUKAGE1
		NUKAGE2
		NUKAGE3
		[etc...]
	}
}
8-)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Caligari87 wrote:Don't even need to pull from JohnnyDoom. Just adding something like this to a GLDEFS entry should do the trick:

Code: Select all

Glow
{
	Flats
	{
		NUKAGE1
		NUKAGE2
		NUKAGE3
		[etc...]
	}
}
8-)
Well, I can definitely add glowing flats to Dark Doom. I might look into that soon; much more feasible than modifying the light levels of sectors per texture :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

Excellent!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I was going to make dim glowing on select flats, but unfortunately my only options for the flat itself is full brightness or sector brightness - it doesn't glow on itself. I have to choose between two ways to look terrible: all out brightness or all out darkness. :? Guess the glowing flats are gonna be very bright.

Seriously though, GLDEFs needs to provide the exact color value given to the flat if the fullbright keyword is not present. I'm not sure who would actually want a surface that glows but is darker than its glow.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Eh, I'll take what you can offer. At any rate, my favorite Dark Doom setting is lite, so it can't clash THAT horribly...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”