Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.5 - Stop & Swap

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Would you be interested in an optional reloading/ammo usage system? If so, which would you use?

Bullet-Eye - Infinite Ammo, No Reloads
20%
Doom - Limited Ammo, No Reloads
14%
"Overwatch" - Infinite Ammo, Reloading
61%
Modern - Limited Ammo, Reloading
4%

Total votes : 49

Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.5 - Stop & Swap

Postby Mor'Ladim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:51 pm

VIDEOS
Spoiler:

BEST PLAYED ON QZDOOM OR GZDOOM! ZDoom MAY also work, but I would not recommend it, as this mod will utilize true color support. IT WILL LOOK UGLY ON ZDOOM, SO DON'T DO IT! Please.

Hello, sir or madam. Do you long for the days of old where the console wars focused on things like pixel graphics, and something about megabits and chips of the 8 to 16 to 32 variety? Well then look no further! Throw away all those toasters you put on your head claiming to be the answer to virtual reality! Dispose of those 'games' that could pass off as modern art pieces with their 16 different shades of brown! (and gray, but not 50) From here on out, you get to play the games...ON A CARTRIDGE! You HAVE seen the games, right?

You: *duuuh huh huh*

Wrong answer. SHOW 'EM!

BULLET-EYE! An arcade/SNES style adventure! through worlds I just made up on the spot, or on the toilet!

DOWNLOAD
Be sure to read the controls below or press F1 during gameplay to view them. You can also select 'Manual' from the main menu.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

CONTROLS: (You can view this information at any time by pressing F1.)
Fire: Fire selected primary weapon.
Alt-Fire: Fire Sub-Weapon.
Reload: View weapon and equipment information. Press Reload again when the panel is open to head to the next page. Pressing it a third time closes it.
Zoom: Enter Bullet-Eye Mode. (Only when the Bullet-Eye Gauge is full). Press again to cancel.
UserKey1/Weapon State 1: Toggle Equipment Lock.
UserKey2/Weapon State 2: Flash Guard. Use to deflect projectiles back at attackers.
UserKey4/Weapon State 4: Activate Quick Kick. Use for a quick melee attack to knock back enemies too close for comfort, or as a finisher on low health or weaker enemies.

WEAPONS:
Bullet-Eye holds a variety of unique and wacky weapons, all with their own upgrades! To upgrade a weapon, simply pick up another of the same type, and the system will do the rest of the work. But remember, citizens, your previous weapon will be dropped upon picking up your new beat stick! Don't forget to press Reload to view information about your current weapon/sub-weapon, and equipment! You will never be harmed by your own weapons and they require no ammo to fire, so blast away!

Here are the current weapons you can find in Bullet-Eye:

Image Spitfire - Fires a single shot. Also has semi-automatic capabilities.
L2 - Shots burst into smaller projectiles on impact and ricochet several times.
L3 - FLARE BURST - Projectiles grow in power after rebounding.
Image Spread Shot - Fires a fan of three projectiles.
L2 - Fires 5 projectiles with increased speed.
L3 - EMERALD STORM - Releases projectiles from the sides of an enemy when hit.
Image Buster - Shoots out at a medium range and explodes in place.
L2 - Causes a large explosion once the main projectile dissipates.
L3 - MATTER BREAKER - Causes 4 smaller burst shots to fire out after the initial explosion.
Image Blaze Stream - Fires out short range streams of flames.
L2 - Become surrounded by flames.
L3 - FLAME GUARD - Hurl a large fire ball after firing ends.
Image Chaser Missile - Launches small homing missiles.
L2 - Fires two missiles and increases the radius at which full splash damage is dealt.
L3 - HIVE MISSILES - Missiles release a cluster of bombs on impact.
Image Crush Blast - Fires a powerful laser.
L2 - Increases the radius of the blast and a second, smaller explosion detonates after a short time.
L3 - GRAVITY CANNON - Explosion pulls in enemies.
Image Scrap Launcher - Launches out scrap in a spread. (Not auto aimed)
L2 - Pierces through enemies and reduces spread.
L3 - STEEL BLASTER - Fires extra scrap horizontally at a certain distance.
Image Quick Strike - Fires a fast shot.
L2 - Has a chance to fire twice in quick succession.
L3 - SWIFT SLICER - Connecting 6 shots causes your next 8 shots to fire a volley of slicers.
Image Hunting Laser - Fires homing lasers at targets.
L2 - Increases laser speed and destroying an Item or Weapon Capsule releases several beams.
L3 - HYDRA LASER - Projectiles burst into smaller lasers if they hit a target.
Image Rapid Vulcan - Fires in bursts of 5.
L2 - Enables critical strikes.
L3 - ASSASSIN GATLING - A burst of shots are released in random directions upon dealing a critical strike. Some of these shots can chain.
Image Storm Grenade - Launch an electrified explosive. (Not auto aimed)
L2 - Increases range and a trail of electricity is connected to the grenade.
L3 - THUNDER BOMB - Impact now releases bolts of electricity.
Image Volley Shot - Launches bomblets in an arc. (Not auto aimed)
L2 - Causes larger explosions and fires two additional bouncing bombs.
L3 - HAVOC RAISER - Bombs release different projectiles depending on the surface they have detonated on.
Image Viper Wave - Fires weaving plasma shots.
L2 - Additional spiraling shots are fired.
L3 - COBRA HELIX - Shots deal rapid damage over time. Subsequent shots on an enemy will increase the effect.
Image Repeater - Fire two energy pistols rapidly.
L2 - Fires a stream of explosive plasma when firing ends.
L3 - MULTI-STRIKERS - Fires large energy blasts when firing begins.
Image Triple Wyvern - Fires a powerful triple burst, but has a high spread. (Not auto aimed)
L2 - Increases burst count by 1 and knocks back enemies.
L3 - ROARING WYVERN - Shots return towards you after impact.

SUB-WEAPONS:
SHOOT YOUR SUB-WEAPONS! Use alt-fire, you BIG DUMMEH! With Sub-Weapons, you can gain Bullet-Eye Energy from successful hits on enemies, and they also have an increased chance to cause enemies to flinch.

Image - Mag Shurikens - Fires a stream of three shurikens.
L2 - Fire out an extra shuriken at no additional ammo cost.
L3 - PHOTON SLICERS - Deals bonus damage after impact.
Image - Energy Claws - Slash at opponents.
L2 - Increases slash count to 5, and the final slash releases a wave of energy.
L3 - FORCE TALONS - Each slash now releases a wave of energy.
Image - Cross Mine - Fires energy blasts in 4 directions.
L2 - Fires 8 projectiles.
L3 - STING MINE - If a projectile does not hit an enemy, it will rebound and attempt to home in on one.
Image - Scatter Bombs - Throw a cluster of bombs.
L2 - Bombs now bounce before destruction.
L3 - FIRE STARTERS - Rises after impact to rain down fire.

EQUIPMENT:
Find helmets, gloves, and armor from fallen enemies or in place of Blur Spheres and carry them for beneficial effects, such as increasing Bullet-Eye Energy gains from kills, or increasing the duration and power of Strike Orbs!

BULLET-EYE MODE:
Defeat enemies to gain energy! Once you have enough, the Bullet-Eye emblem will appear and upon pressing the Zoom key, your weapon will switch to a massive rapid firing weapon. You will also gain all Strike Orbs! You can exit out of Bullet-Eye mode by pressing the Zoom key once again. You will lose 15 Bullet-Eye Energy upon doing so, however!

EQUIPMENT LOCK:
Tired of accidentally picking up a weapon you don't want? A sub-weapon you would rather not grab is blocking your path in a narrow hallway? Then Equipment Lock is for you! Simply press UserKey1/WeaponState1 and all your troubles will vanish without a fight! (Today we celebrate - our Independence Day!) While Equipment Lock is active, you will not pick up any weapon, sub-weapon, or equipment unless it is of the same type currently in your possession. You will know when the system is active when your weapon and sub-weapon have teeny tiny locks on them. If you change your mind and want to grab all the powerups you can attempt to carry, just hit the same key and it will be disabled!

DENIZENS OF BULLET-EYE:
Image - An item capsule you can destroy to provide either health or sub-weapon ammo. Yup, it's a denizen.
Image - A weapon capsule that holds L1 versions of all weapons in Bullet-Eye. Collect them all!* *Note: You cannot actually carry them all.
Image - Rescue survivors to get a health bonus, some Sub-Weapon Ammo, and Bullet-Eye Energy! Do you mind if they pay you in gum? Note: The Survivors are not just heads!
Image - Energy Screens block all damage done to you as long as the shield holds. You can also find Partial Energy Screens from some enemies that have half the capacity of normal Energy Screens. You're gonna need 'em!
SomeDoomMonstersHead.tga - SOME default Doom monsters! OH MAN!
Image - Strike Orbs are found in place of certain items, but most commonly can be found from defeated enemies. They temporarily boost either Attack (Red), Defense (Green), or Speed (Blue).
Image - Weapon Enhancers add 1 level to your current selected weapon. Think of it as a wildcard for when you just can't find another powerup for the weapon you are holding. I wish I made that graphic! Curse you Star Fox 2!

Why is the mod named Bullet-Eye? I thought it sounded neat. I was trying to think of a name and I took a good 30+ minutes using combinations of words that included Gun, Blaze, Force, Soldier, EVERYTHING, etc.! And then I Googled each combination to see if it has been done or if it was a mainstream game. YUP! ALMOST EVERYTHING WAS! Then I just settled for Bullet-Eye, which I forgot if anything else used that...ANYWAY, I liked it and went with it. Then I later thought it may seem similar to GoldenEye...GOOOOOOOSH! Oh well. It also sounds like bullseye.

CREDITS: See who/what helped to make Bullet-Eye possible!
Spoiler:

OLD INFO:
Spoiler:

I am eager to hear your feedback. Thank you for your time!
Last edited by Mor'Ladim on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 75 times in total.
Mor'Ladim
Does this man finish anything?!

Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.
Discord: Mor'ladim#7303

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) - WIP

Postby Mor'Ladim » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 pm

New changes up! Help me test 'em, if you will! Definitely more to come soon. Being on vacation helps!

I will also update the screenshots in a bit to reflect the HUD changes.
Mor'Ladim

Postby Mav3rick » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:41 pm

After play few levels... my points

º The hud seems to be out of place..
Spoiler:

I play with 4:3 on 800x600

º It will be better if there r diferent weapons to carry and no only pick up and lost there r many weapons that r way to weak to work and more if u have to kill something more than a zombie
º The suriken subweapon is cool but can past between colums, ej: the first red bars on the start of the second level
º The buster is cool but is way way too short is not worthy when a cyber can attack from way far
º The blaze stream is the weakes of all and with that short way short range is like a chainsaw
º The only i didnt get was the spread shot, the other were nice but the weapons with own sprite and number to switch to them will be even better
º The levek up system can be like pick up 3 spitfire and level up, pickup 6 and level up again it will be better to have to pick up few and not only one, weapons will be super strong in short time and more if u play a megawad
º The blaze stream fire sprite need a fix the fire is coming from lower on hand than the weapon

So far is cool but it need lot of tweak to work and more in open levels :)
Keep up the good work :D
Mav3rick
Need some light??

Postby Crimsondrgn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:43 pm

The Level 1 description for the chaser missile calls it the buster.

What resolution is the new HUD meant for?
640x480 works with UI scale 2, and 1280x960 works at UI scale 4.

Also kinda liked the look of the old HUD in the screenshots, any way to get that separate or get it as an option in the mod?
Crimsondrgn

Postby Somagu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Somehow I missed that this was a thing???

Stream of consciousness feedback before I pass out:
Could I ask that you not have spaces in the wad filename? Just a personal peeve of mine since otherwise I have to rename it every time I update it, given I don't use a launcher, and adding quotes to the command line parameters is ugly.

Spread shot looks and sounds weak, despite being roughly as powerful as a fully upgraded Buster (Which does actually look and sound appropriate, so good on that)

Could also use some more dramatic explosions in general, say for barrels.

Blaze Stream is way too damn weak! Looks weak, is weak. Takes way too long to even kill former humans unless you're touching them, which is a bit counterintuitive for weapons inspired by old one-hit platformers. Make it rip, make it do more DOT, do something besides what it already does.

Chasers are too strong. There's no downside to them despite doing as much or more damage than the same fully upgraded buster, spreadshot, which require you to be close range. I reckon it should

Spitfire and Buster seem more or less fine.

HUD could use some work on the whole scaling thing.

Might want to start with a subweapon considering how rarely I actually find the damn things.
Somagu

Postby Mor'Ladim » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 pm

I am taking all the feedback in, AND I AM WORKING ON UPDATES THIS VERY MOMENT!

And all I can say is that Blaze Stream has been insulted by the feedback on it, and is now RED HOT with anger! Changes to the weapon are coming!

Hopefully I can fix the HUD scaling issue. It is my first time working with a custom HUD, so if I can't fix it then I will have to look at other options.

I was also thinking of adding a weapon experience system. Using this, you can gain experience for weapons for up to two levels, and once they are leveled, picking up a 'fresh' one will always retain its level, regardless of the fact if you picked up another weapon or not. I think adding in a system to carry more than one weapon would also be useful, but hopefully I can code it.

Crimsondrgn wrote:Also kinda liked the look of the old HUD in the screenshots, any way to get that separate or get it as an option in the mod?

The graphics for it are actually in the WAD, if you'd like to use them. As for an option in the mod to use it, perhaps I can use it for one of the HUD sizes instead of using the current one at each resize level.

Thank you for all the feedback!

EDIT: I made some updates! The changelog, can be found in the main post. I hope you all like them! In the next update, I plan to make a starting sub-weapon, and more main weapons. An accessory system will come in the future as well, and these will grant special abilities when held, such as one that makes Strike Orbs last longer, or another that triples the bonuses gained from Survivors.
Mor'Ladim

Postby Somagu » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:39 am

This is looking good! The Buster and Blaze Stream now both stand out as appropriately powerful for closer range weapons (I know you didn't do anything to the Buster, that's not my point), and the claw subweapon is also powerful enough to warrant being ammo-limited. The ripper itself might be a bit too powerful, actually. Mag Shurikens and the Chaser could stand to be a little bit more powerful than they are. Maybe a 20% increase or less. Spread Shot also feels much nicer to use now. The outstanding issue that I see currently is that aside from the claw, every weapon takes an unreasonably long time to kill anything stronger than a Hell Knight, basically. Maybe some kind of system like GMOTA where you have a seperate power gauge for temporary stronger EX-modes would be appropriate? That'd require a lot of effort, though.
Somagu

Postby Mor'Ladim » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 am

Since each weapon has its own damage type, I was able to adjust them for stronger enemies, and it seems to be working well. However, that would just be a band-aid fix in the long run, as custom enemies wouldn't be affected by said changes! I may just increase the damage across the board, since this IS a retro style mod, and enemies in SNES era games didn't last too long in most cases. Another solution could be to make the level 3 versions of all weapons gain a large damage boost, while the previous levels retain their current values.

I also increased the damage boost from the Attack Strike Orb, and I believe I should make all orbs more common from enemies.

Edit: Actually, I just thought of something I could do to help out a bit. Sort of...Let's see if I can pull it off and include it in today's update! (If it fits) I already have the graphics and code for it, since it was used in DUMP 3.
Mor'Ladim

Postby Scripten » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 am

That new HUD is gorgeous and super thematic. I appreciate it. Hope I get a chance to actually try the mod soon.
Scripten
Oh, that's simply delicious!

Discord: Scripten#3195

Postby Captain J » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Oooooh how retrospective! Let me play soon and bake some thoughts of mine! :D
Captain J
Oh... Oh hi!

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Mor'Ladim » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Pushed a small update!

11/22/16 (B)
-New title music!
-Adjusted damage for enemies individually using DamageFactor.
-Increased Energy Claw Sub-Weapon range.
-Increased health and sub-weapon ammo gains from items.
-Added Bullet-Eye Mode. Gather energy from kills to unleash a massive weapon! (Use the Zoom key when you see the Bullet-Eye Emblem)

I also did my first TRUE ACS script for Bullet-Eye mode. It's a simple script, but it works. I just hope I did it right, since I am very inexperienced with ACS.

Edit:

This is what happens when you press Reload now:
Mor'Ladim

Postby Captain J » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:47 am

So i played it now, it was one decent, nice and well, retrospective mod i ever played. Neat work! Also i haven't seen SNES style mod before, so hooray for that!
Spoiler: But gotta show my gripes, sorry!
So that's about it. It's really interesting and can't wait for the update!
Captain J
Oh... Oh hi!

Postby Mor'Ladim » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Captain J wrote:
Spoiler: But gotta show my gripes, sorry!

1. The style of the mod is mostly SNES, but also the era of the Sega Genesis. It's also difficult to find good music when there isn't a site where they can be previewed easily, like Genesis music at Project2612. (As far as I know) If you have suggestions for a new title theme that sounds action-oriented, I'm open to them! I tried the title theme to Jim Power, but it just didn't have the same kick.
2. I plan to have a number of weapons in the mod, and using pure SNES sound effects would limit me greatly, as I would like each weapon to sound different. Not to mention ripping sounds from the SNES is a pain, and most 'rips' are just the samples used to make the sounds themselves! Otherwise, I would definitely use more. I AM trying to use them more often for other objects such as Item Capsules though!
3. I didn't add decals because I feel it would take away from the retro feel. And I am lazy. Maybe I will go back and change them later if I can find something fitting.
4. I fixed that just for you!
5. This is also fixed!
6. You can get that weapon by killing enemies to build up energy. Once you have enough, the Bullet-Eye emblem will appear. Once that happens, press the ZOOM key to activate Bullet-Eye mode!

---

Finally got some new changes up! I wanted to add another weapon, but it will have to wait until the next update.

11/24/16
-New title pic!
-Chaser Missile homing made less aggressive. You now need to have an enemy closer to your crosshair to activate the homing.
-Picking up a Sub-Weapon will now grant some Sub-Weapon Ammo.
-New types of Weapon Powerup drops have been added. These will instantly grant a level 2 or three weapon. Bosses will always drop a level three weapon, while high tier enemies commonly drop L2 weapons, and uncommonly L3.
-Bosses will now always drop a number of health and Sub-Weapon Ammo items upon defeat.
-Slightly updated Weapon Powerup sprites.
-Energy Screen has been added. While under the effects of an Energy Screen, you will suffer no health damage until the shield is destroyed.
-Picking up a weapon you already have a level 3 version of will grant Bullet-Eye Energy.
-Max Health Up powerups will spawn in place of Megaspheres. They increase max health by 5.
-New Sub-Weapon 'Cross Mine'
-New Weapon 'Crush Blast'. Drops from high tier enemies and Weapon Capsules only.
-Chaser Missile now only drops from Weapon Capsules and high tier enemies.

A shot of the new weapon powerup types (as explained above):
Mor'Ladim

Postby Captain J » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:52 am

Mor'Ladim wrote:1. The style of the mod is mostly SNES, but also the era of the Sega Genesis. It's also difficult to find good music when there isn't a site where they can be previewed easily, like Genesis music at Project2612. (As far as I know) If you have suggestions for a new title theme that sounds action-oriented, I'm open to them! I tried the title theme to Jim Power, but it just didn't have the same kick.
Is official or custom SNES musics sounds good for you? Such as this one;

2. I plan to have a number of weapons in the mod, and using pure SNES sound effects would limit me greatly, as I would like each weapon to sound different. Not to mention ripping sounds from the SNES is a pain, and most 'rips' are just the samples used to make the sounds themselves! Otherwise, I would definitely use more. I AM trying to use them more often for other objects such as Item Capsules though!
Then making the current sound effects into low quality would be the answer. Since SNES games always had smooth and low quality sound effects.
3. I didn't add decals because I feel it would take away from the retro feel. And I am lazy. Maybe I will go back and change them later if I can find something fitting.
Oh, that's fine, just fine. Leave it as it is. I don't even know what kind of SNES games had such an effect on their maps, except cybernator.
6. You can get that weapon by killing enemies to build up energy. Once you have enough, the Bullet-Eye emblem will appear. Once that happens, press the ZOOM key to activate Bullet-Eye mode!
Now i see! But still it's not quite satisfying because again, vanilla bulletpuffs. I actually thought about some powerful effect for it, V-Gun from Wild Guns! It has one powerful and badass gatling gun you should check out!
You're welcome, thanks for understanding me!
Captain J
Oh... Oh hi!

Postby wildweasel » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:07 am

This is a really cool concept, but I have a bug to report - entering Bullet-Eye mode doesn't work properly if "Switch Weapons on Pickup" is switched off in Player Setup. You can press the button to trigger it, but all it will do is give you all three Strike Orb powerups without changing your weapons, which you can do indefinitely...until you change primary weapons, at which point the weapon switches properly.

Now, I seem to recall that the ACS inventory function SetWeapon works in Decorate, though I might be wrong. Perhaps that's a better way to trigger the Bullet-Eye weapon swtich?
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods