[WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.6]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [0.6]

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:10 pm

64K+ is a mod that aims to take the vanilla experience and infuse it with a bit of Doom2016, Doom64, and a bit of balance tweaking resulting in an enhancer that looks and plays well without straying too drastically from the aesthetics and gameplay of vanilla doom. We've got your quick melee, we've got your Unmaker, we've got berserk kills dropping health and armor, we've got weapons that all have distinct uses, and we've got some screenshots:

Image Image
Image Image

For those wandering exactly what game-play changes are in store:
  • Pistol is faster, does more damage, and has no spread
  • Super Shotgun has decreased damage(the same as 2 shotgun shots) but has a large melee bonus to damage
  • the chaingun has damage increased to match pistol and can no longer chaingun snipe
  • Everything except the chainsaw and BFG have a quick melee
  • Punching things while on berserker can make them drop health/armor bonuses
  • most weapons select/deselect faster
  • Ammo will only be picked up if you have enough room in your inventory for the full amount, and if it is a large pickup, you will break it into several smaller pickups
  • items and weapons resemble their Doom64 counterparts
  • The Unmaker has been addded, as have runes that can power it up
Potentially a change to the plasma/chaingun to prevent them from overlapping as much as they do will be a thing that happens, but I don't have any ideas atm.

Download v0.6 here or by clicking the logo thing at the top.
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 am, edited 13 times in total.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k +

Postby Deii » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 am

Yeah, this is pretty good! Haven't had the chance to use it for a specifically long amount of time but so far, no complaints for me.

Also, any chance of implementing the unmaker in the future?

EDIT: What are the map packs used in the screenshots? They look a bit interesting.
Deii

Discord: Deii #0915

Postby zrrion the insect » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 pm

I would like to add an unmaker to this, but I haven't been able to get doom64s unmaker sprites to jive stylistically with vanilla dooms art style. If I can ever get those sprites to work I have an idea as to how I could add it.

The first 2 screenshots are of Perditions Gate, the 3rd is Nullspace, 4th is Vrack2b, and the last one is one of the maps from Alien Vendetta.

The link in the first post should be updated to include smart scavenger-esk ammo pickups that won't let you pick them up if you don't have room for them. This only applies to ammo, weapons, backpacks, and health will still be picked up like normal.
zrrion the insect

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:37 pm

My only real complaint with this is the quick melee attack.

In my opinion, it takes too long to use. Like a .02 or 03 second delay. Basically you have to pre click and run up on someone to use it effectively. Also, I feel that the damage is rather low. 3 to 4 hits to bring down a zombie gunner.

I know its a situational use sort of thing... But I feel it should pack more of a punch, and if the delay is intentional. At least have some sort of push back. Like keeping Pinkies from cornering you and giving you just enough room after the punch to squeeze out to safety.

Other then the melee thing, I really like the feel of the rest of the weps. The chaingun animation and the Doom 64 shotguns are a nice touch.
JimpArgon
:) (:
Banned User

Postby zrrion the insect » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:33 pm

The quick melee is about the same as the vanilla fist in terms of speed and damage, but a little push-back would probably be something that would work. I'll have to mess around with it.
zrrion the insect

Postby dljosef » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I noticed that the berserk fist can practically one shot every enemy, though it's very risky in the case of cyberdemons.
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:04 pm

That doesn't sound like intended behaviour. I'll have to check that out when I get to my PC.
EDIT: It was not intended, I left a line in from a test of the glorykill stuff. Re-download and it should be fixed.
zrrion the insect

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:58 am

The smart ammo system has been implemented and now I'm working on a doom-alpha/beta inspired HUD.
zrrion the insect

Postby SuperSomariDX » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:23 am

I loooooove that hud. Please tell me there will be a standalone version as well. ;w;
SuperSomariDX
wonders what the hell is a Horror Monitor.

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:52 pm

The weapon indicator in the middle is done in a way that makes it a little difficult to make standalone, but when I get the next update out people are free to do whatever with it.
zrrion the insect

Postby Captain J » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Looks very. VERY interesting! Gonna play and prepare some feedback!

EDIT: I see no problems, i guess. Nevermind!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Captain J » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:47 am

Oh wait and wait, it actually has some problems...
Spoiler: And the good thing is i'm already prepared for some feedback!
There you go!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

* The no decals thing is an oversight as I play with decals off. I can fix that pretty easily.
* The clip thing is something that I'm working on, but I currently hit a roadblock where a clip cannot tell that it was dropped, so I can't do anything about that when it is picked up. I can make a temp fix in the mean time.
* I fixed that, whoops.
* I moved it down.

* also fixed keys not being multiplayer friendly.
zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k + [0.2]

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 am

I've been working pretty hard at this the past few days and I have added a few things in this update, namely:

*I've added cool smoke effects that only show up if the player has the Rocket trails setting set to Sprites or Sprites & Particles.
*Quite a few effects have their sprites rotated randomly every frame to add a bit of cheap visual variety
*Extra frames for the bullet puff and explosive barrel
*A handful of miscellaneous new sprites
*More XDeath gore
*Tweaked quick melee timing. It is now much easier to use effectively
*I think I messed with the SSG, but cannot recall how
*zombiemen drop clips with appropriate amount of ammo

Known Issues with 0.2:
*XDeath gore does not match monster blood color. I am stumped as to why this is.
*Message for opening a large container of ammo is shown after the first ammo pickup you get from the container. (not a bug, just annoying to me) fixed now
*nazis do drop too much ammo (this won't change as the nazis are being left alone for dehacked reasons)

Planned non-cosmetic features:
*Make bullet weapons fire in a circular spread pattern
*Add small display to plasmagun and make it track plasma ammo (the display on the bfg would also track ammo) this looked bad, not happening
*Miscellaneous tweaks
*Toggleable Enemy behavior changes
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect

Postby ThrashfanBert1994 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:18 pm

i wonder if the hud is out?
ThrashfanBert1994

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods